Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-15, 04:59 PM  
PrairieGem

Question for flip-flop (Vionic, Fitflop, etc) wearers

I am interested in trying a pair of really nice flip-flops because of some foot issues... but I haven't had a pair since I was a kid, and I've always kind of assumed (based on nothing?) that the strap between the toes would be uncomfortable. Has anyone had that experience initially and then gotten used to them? Is there a "beginner friendly" flipflop out there? LOL

I have an absolutely terrible time finding and breaking in sandals. I have wide feet, and tailor bunions (pinkie-toe bunions), and every strap seems to press *right there.* Even shoes that are supposedly wide, the strap is still painful (the edge cuts against the exact wrong place, etc). Well, looking at the overlays on my marvelous new Brooks Ghost running shoes, which swoop well past the toe bones down to the arch, the lightbulb went off: that is exactly what I need the straps on my sandals to do, too. And, duh: Flip-flops!

Any suggestions, advice, or tips for a total flipflop newbie? (And is there a hyphen or not??? )

Thanks!!
Old 04-11-15, 05:36 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

The first time I wore flip flops as a kid, I had terrible blisters between my toes. I didn't know about getting used to them. I've never had a problem since. I think once you get used to them you'll be fine. Don't wear them for longer than an hour or so until you get used to them.

Unlike you, I have very narrow feet. I can't wear the pretty Vionic flip flops but I wear Tide or Tide II. They're the only shoes I wear in summer. Sometimes in winter I wear toe socks so I can wear them because of the comfort. Most days they feel better than my orthotics.

Vionic is the only brand I wear so I can't compare. Sorry.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15, 06:31 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I love vionic/orthaheel flip flops!! It's all I wear unless I'm at work when I have to wear "real shoes". 😉 I used to wear cheap flip flops from Target but it turned out they were causing all kinds of foot problems for me. The Vionic brand saved me when I had a small bout of PF a few years ago. I normally workout barefoot and then as soon as I step off the mat I slip on my orthaheel heel flip flops. The arch support and deep heel cup align my feet properly and has been a godsend for me.
Old 04-11-15, 06:45 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love my Vionics! I have sandals, mules, and flip flops. I have struggled with PF and I pretty much only wear Vionics or shoes that will accommodate my orthotics. I have also worn Spenco flip flops as they have a decent arch support and are better in the water because the straps are neoprene. They are pretty good, but not quite as supportive as Vionics.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 11:04 AM  
Cafelattee

I live in a warm climate so I wear flip-flops all year since I was a girl so I can't comment on the between-the-toe issues. The vionic have been the best thing to happen for my poor feet/ankles.

I was a runner for years with pronation issues and most of that time without stability shoes (didn't even know they existed) The damage has been done. THe tendons in my ankle were abused but now healed. I get mild PF if I don't wear my vionics. I have the house slippers and plenty of flip flops.
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 02:05 PM  
PrairieGem

Thanks! A store at my mall carries FitFlops (per the Fitflop retailer finder), so I am off in a few to check them out.

Linda, thanks for the tips on the fit of Vionics (and also, boo, because the Tides were the ones that caught my eye! LOL). I'm a little worried b/c I am a true 8.5, and have trouble getting a good fit in sandals that don't come in half sizes (like Merrels).

After studying lots of close-ups, it looks like the toe bars come in either leather or webbing, depending on the strap style. I wonder if one is more comfortable than the other.

If not, there are always toe socks.
Old 04-12-15, 02:46 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Gem, I don't know how these crazy things are sized. All of my workout shoes are 10's, my Clark's flats are 9, and my Tides are all 8. When it was still Orthaheel I had a terrible time with the sneakers. The 8 had the arch in the right place but no toe room. If I sized up to get toe room the arch was off. I gave up. The Tides are all I wear now. Also, the toe thing is fabric so it isn't as hard to get used to as leather or rubber, according to my step-daughter. I hope you find something you can wear.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 05:00 PM  
PrairieGem

Holy cow, who knew Nordstrom had so many shoes?! Anyway. I have returned victorious-but-surprised, with a pair of Olukais! I tried on the Fitflops, which felt pretty good but looked appalling on my unpedicured Hobbit feet (I'm just not a blingy person), and some Danskos that were beautiful but the toe-strap was uncomfortable. When I said, "Do they make training wheels for flipflop newbies?" she brought out the Olukais, which are sportier than I was really looking for, not as rigid-soled as the Danskos... but which have a really soft ribbon toe-bar and just felt the most comfortable, natural, and secure overall. They'll fit my everyday-work-at-home life well enough.

...It also didn't hurt that they were half the price.

Size-wise, Linda, I had the same experience--I tried on 8s and 9s and equivalents (Dansko has Euro sizing), and on some shoes the arches felt good but the straps were too loose, or my foot fit in well in the contours of the shoe, but the overall shoe was too short/long/narrow. The Olukai 8s felt the best. The 9s seemed sloppy and insecure (how I feel in my Merrels).

So. I think I am off to a good flipflop start... and if these work out, I may be back for the Danskos. Um, after a pedicure.
Old 04-12-15, 05:43 PM  
mercedes

I love my fitflops . I must have at least 6 pairs . I actually walk with a pair of them in the park every day - somehow I prefer the white sole ones for serious walking. The dark sole ones, for moving around town.

I also have orthaheels though I much prefer my fitflops...
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 05:49 PM  
IceQueen07

The brand I wear is Reef. I wear flip flops all year round pretty much and love this brand. I have many different colors and styles. I find them the most comfortable.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flip-flops, flipflops, foot pain, shoes