Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-14, 10:44 AM  
bubbles76

Should I get more risers?

I mostly use Cathe, Amy Bento, and KCM for strength. Currently, I use three sets of risers under my step. I've noticed that sometimes Amy and Cathe use four, sometimes five sets! Do you think I'm missing out by not having another set of risers? I'm contemplating maybe getting one set. I use the step for a weight bench, step ups, and regular step workouts. I don't plan on ever going higher than one set of risers for my step workouts.

Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 10:50 AM  
amoodygirl

I've been thinking about the same thing. I use 3 risers on each side for my weight workouts. Any reason to add more risers?

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 10:52 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I only have four risers and have always managed with just two on each side. I also have a high step topper and find that four is plenty for that. I feel I should get another set, but never quite get around to it.

If the only reason you want to acquire them is that you feel you should, I'd take a wait and see approach.
Old 09-04-14, 11:13 AM  
edensmom

I have 4 per side and I like it. It isn't NECESSARY though. For step ups would be nice, but I use a kitchen chair when I want higher.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 11:40 AM  
jenn38

You could just buy the high step topper if your looking to increase step up height or to use for a higher seated position.
Old 09-04-14, 12:06 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn38 View Post
You could just buy the high step topper if your looking to increase step up height or to use for a higher seated position.
Exactly what I was going to suggest! You shouldn't need to buy any more risers.

You may have to do some quick-changes of risers between your normal step and high-step during some workouts, but I haven't found this to be a problem.

eta: I just re-read your original post - you could leave your step at one riser, and your high step with 4 risers - you probably wouldn't have to make adjustments often! Only if you really want to go to 5 risers under your high-step.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 12:11 PM  
bubbles76

I'm mostly wondering if it's necessary for strength work. I have the high step topper for high step work and step ups. Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming!

Edensmom, do you find that there is a difference in your strength work with four per side versus three?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 09-04-14, 01:15 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I have extra risers so I set up my step-as-weight-bench with 5 per side. Benefits for me doing strength work:

- easier to get up and down from lying on my back, especially when doing fast-paced work like chest press in Pyramid Upper when I need to switch weights quickly

- MUCH easier to get up and down if I set the bench at an incline, with 5 risers on one side and 3 on the other. When I had fewer risers I did 3 on one side, 1 on the other for incline work, and I was getting up from a position with my knees bent way deep and my butt almost on the floor.

- easier to use bench for one-armed work. I can kneel on the bench or place one hand on the bench as support if I do one-arm rows, for example, and it's at the right height for my height (I'm 5' 7-1/2); I'm not bending my standing leg in awkward ways to compensate for a too-low bench.

Having extra risers isn't necessary by any means but I find it helpful.
Old 09-04-14, 01:37 PM  
alydinva

I recently added 4 risers to my collection for a total of 10. I didn't think it would make a big difference and it's not a HUGE difference, but I really like having them for strength work when I use my step as a bench. It makes it easier to get up and down and I feel less strain on my back (not sure why). While you're at it, you should go ahead and add slanted risers as well!

Actually (not joking here), if you don't already have the slanted risers, I would get those before the regular risers. They are much more stable than using your bench at an angle with regular risers.
alydinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 02:40 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks again everyone! For reference, I am 5'5" and I do have slanted risers. You have given me a lot to think about.

Tags
risers, step, step risers