Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-14, 11:42 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
You are so inspiring I only wish that i would have been fitness oriented all my life like you.
Thank you, Penny! What a nice thing to say!

I don't think you should bemoan the fact that your fitness journey started later rather than sooner. It's never too late! I will say that I feel blessed that fitness has always been a priority for me, and a part of my life. I think it has served me well as I've aged.

I noticed your birthday in your profile and you are exactly 10 years younger than me. (I was born 11/11/56) That's significant. You are easily able to become more fit and reach your goals at your age. Good luck always!
Old 08-20-14, 01:04 PM  
flowerpotcat

This thread is inspiring me to dust off my firm transfirmer and dig out my step workouts.
flowerpotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 01:07 PM  
sweatie

Some of Gin Miller's step workouts are on sale at her web site for $9.95 (Simply Step Classic Moves, Simply Interval, and Everybody Steps). Also, there is a coupon code (hotsavings14) that is good for 25% off DVDs INCLUDING sale DVDs. I don't know how long those items will be on sale, but the coupon code is good through August 31, 2014.
sweatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 01:37 PM  
antbuko

Gin's titles are also available on Amazon Instant video. Unfortunately they aren't Prime titles and they are not exactly cheap either. I feel streaming titles should be cheaper than DVDs.
Old 08-20-14, 02:10 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Paula N, thanks for the birthday wishes!

AsSweetAsSugar, I second Paula's suggestion of Kari Anderson. Her Body Tech workout was the first one that showed me I was able to do more complex moves on the step. Unfortunately, Kari has never put her workouts on DVD. A kind VFer (her husband actually) transferred my Kari workouts to DVD for me. Don't know if any of her routines are available on the internet...

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 02:19 PM  
Judy W.

Jenny Ford has some wonderful step workouts. Available on dvd are Step by Step and Step by Step 3, which are both very basic. More complex is Spicy Step, on the same dvd as S by S, and Unexpected Step, a separate dvd. Jenny also has workouts available online, but that doesn't work for my current setup. Jenny really seems to enjoy doing step, so I really enjoy working out with her.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 02:20 PM  
Irisg1

I was never a fan of step workouts, although I forced myself to do them back when I was into Cathe. However, just in the past year, I decided to try some of the step workouts available on The Gymbox, and I have to say, I am really loving the intermediate stuff. It's soo good to find something else I enjoy, besides kick-boxing. They give my legs a great work-out too.
Old 08-20-14, 04:15 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Just dropping in to say that I'm really enjoying this thread.

I'm not a stepper, because I just can't seem to move my feet fast enough.

Any advice? It sounds like great fun, but I can't get the hang of it.
Hi BunnyHop,

What worked for me was only focusing on one smaller section at a time. For example, I would just attempt one combo of a workout, and spend maybe 5 or 10 minutes working on it. The next time, I would either practise the same combo again, or move on to another one. I would also drop the arm movements entirely (actually, I still do this sometimes).

It might also help to find out the beats per minute of a workout, if it is available online. For example, I find the Kathy Kaehler step workout to be very fast paced. Even though the choreography is basic, I struggled to keep up with the music and ended up getting rid of it.

Hope this helps.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 05:57 PM  
antbuko

Paula I felt the same way about Kathy Kaehler's step work out. Way too fast for me.
Old 08-20-14, 06:08 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
Hi BunnyHop,

What worked for me was only focusing on one smaller section at a time. For example, I would just attempt one combo of a workout, and spend maybe 5 or 10 minutes working on it. The next time, I would either practise the same combo again, or move on to another one. I would also drop the arm movements entirely (actually, I still do this sometimes).

It might also help to find out the beats per minute of a workout, if it is available online. For example, I find the Kathy Kaehler step workout to be very fast paced. Even though the choreography is basic, I struggled to keep up with the music and ended up getting rid of it.

Hope this helps.
I tried Kathy Kaehler's step routine (Workout Class), I liked it the first time I did it but in the few times I tried it since, I lasted about 10-15 minutes and joni-od it. It ended up at Half Price Books just very recently.

I still like step but have gotten rid of a few step workouts in the last year or so. My old vintage step VHS are my favorites, but I also really like Charlene Prickett's step routines from the It Figures series.

I really wish Jane Fonda would put her step workouts onto DVD but I am losing hope. I also like Denise Austin's first step workout. I am pretty much vintage when it comes to step.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step, step aerobics