Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-14, 06:08 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juberann View Post
Thanks Nuggie's Auntie it runs in my family, too. On the side of my biological mother. This didn't surprise me especially with the multiple injuries to my left ankle (and I am talking two breaks and at least half a dozen sprains in my 20's and 30's and one sprain not that long ago). It's the knee pain that kills me. I have always been interested in Barre and have tried several videos in the past but just was interested in other styles at the time so never stayed consistant. Now may be the time to really commit.
Also looking at Ballet Physique.......I like the instructors and the music on the clips inspires me.....have you done BP?
I love the ballet physique DVDs! Highly recommend!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 09:31 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Sorry you have the pain of arthritis. I had my left knee replaced, have arthritis in my right knee, ankles, hands, and severe arthritis in the facet joints in my back and should be having a hip replacement but I'm fighting every inch of the way.

Keep your quads as strong as possible. Do leg lifts as previously mentioned but lay an ankle weight or dumbbell on your leg above the knee. Barre might cause problems for you but you won't know til you see how your knees react. It doesn't matter what anyone else can do.

It all depends on where your arthritis is in your knee. Before my knee replacement I couldn't ride a stationery bike because of where my knee was bone on bone but everyone told me I should be able to do that. When I took Pilates privates the instructor said I couldn't possibly have a knee problem because I could do certain exercises. She didn't understand and I never went back.

They have prescription pain patches that work great. I only use them if I'm not sleeping by 3 a.m. I depend on exercise for pain relief. Movement is my pain relief.

I can ride a recumbent bike and run on a rebounder. Nothing causes knee and hip pain for me like Leslie. I can use Charlene Prickett, Tamilee, Petra, and George Foreman's cardio but can't get past 10 minutes with Leslie. Pilates gives me great pain relief and barre is doable. Sometimes I use Margaret Richard but some of her lower body work isn't good for me. Because of my back I'm not supposed to lift weights.

Find what works for you but your quads are the most important muscles you own right now.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 09:33 AM  
mandie123

In my family also,Father had it since he was in his 20's.I have it now in my left hip,knee and foot(also may be from lyme disease too).I've just switched to only barre, C/S and leslie since jan 1st,just noticing that twinge of pain in hip starting up.For me TA workout meta series was the worse for my hip!Interested in the responses your getting here.
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 10:10 AM  
ChrisS

I've just started having some pain in my left hip - I'm a runner so I hope it isn't the beginning of arthritus but this thread makes me think I better have it checked out.
ChrisS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 11:34 AM  
Scorpio6

Diane von Furstenberg exercises

Hi Judy, I forgot to mention in my previous post that I have gotten a lot of good from the exercises published in DVF's beauty book in the 1970's, which can still be obtained on Amazon at very cheap prices for used copies. I also spreadsheeted them, if you want a copy, PM me.

They are mat exercises, very similar to floor barre and Pilates, have a nice flow to them, and easy to use as a template to add things onto such as adding ankle weights or slipping in a Barre3 ab move, or rearrange the order of them. They were the first exercises I used where I actually felt good instead of worse from using them, and have been gradually branching out from there, but keeping them as my template. A dvd / vhs was never made of these exericses but they sure have helped me.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 11:51 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Hi Judy, sorry you're faced with dealing with arthritis! I have OA in my knees and hands and have found all of these to be helpful: Margaret Richard's floorwork, yoga (DDP), rebounding, walking, qi gong, and strength training. Agree with the importance of keeping those quads strong.

What made the biggest difference, though, was changing my diet a year ago. I also lost some weight and started hydrating properly. I'm not at goal yet, but at this point, I am virtually pain free. I know diet talk is off limits, so feel free to PM me.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-14, 09:08 AM  
ilovemybirds

Sorry to hear this. I have arthritis in my knees, shoulders, and my elbows have been bothering me lately. Margaret Richard's workouts seem to work pretty well for me. So does Pilates. The only moves that bother me in Margaret's workouts and in Pilates are the ones that really work the hips/outer thighs. I seem to do better with light/ moderate weights, but I can't go too light, or it really bothers my joints (like Tracy Anderson's workouts). I am still trying to figure out cardio. Pretty much all repetitive cardio bothers my joints, to some extent. I also can't do too much high impact.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-14, 11:13 AM  
rad

Quote:
Originally Posted by juberann View Post
(I have little faith in traditional Doctors right now and my insurance does not cover Chiropractic care or a Message Therapy so those two options are out).
Thanks for any advice
Many, if not most, alternative rehab programs provide work on the Pilates Reformer, which is highly effective. Check for group Reformer classes in your area, which have sprouted up all over, and you might be surprised at how affordable they are for unlimited monthly classes compared to price of one or two rehab sessions at a physical therapist's office. It takes a little digging, but they are there. Check the credentials of the owner and you might be surprised again to find that s/he has training as a physical therapist. Be careful not to go to fast-paced studios which disregard form. Then you can take the tax deduction for the alternative medical care you administer yourself which is not covered by insurance.

Also no one mentioned Ballet Beautiful.

One reason Pilates, and probably BB, works so well as do other floor exercises mentioned above, is because gravity is minimized. With water aerobics, gravity is totally eliminated, which any Rheumatologist worth his or her salt will recommend. Water aerobics classes are the rage now, too, so check your local YMCA.

Regarding Barre, I could be a walking billboard for all the rehabilitative help it has provided for my aching body that wasn't achieved from all the traditional (and alternative) medical help I sought, which for the first time makes me think I should take my own advice I am giving you and speak with my accountant about including my Barre classes with my 2013 medical expense on my tax return.
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-14, 02:39 PM  
juberann

So much great advice, thank you everyone!! I have a couple of PMs to send out taking a couple of you up on your offers of additional help (love you all). I found a knee brace is a Godsend during work hours and could now kick myself for waiting so long to wear one. I bought one after much research, I cringed at the price but it was worth every penny as my knee hardly hurt at work yesterday. There is ALOT of up and down motion involved with my job and it was taking a toll on that knee, the compression brace solved that issue for now
I caved and bought three Barre workouts, the two Ballet Physiques and one of Suzanne's BarreAmped workouts. I know the basics of Barre and even own a Barre so I have pulled that out and set it up in my exercise room. I chose those three for probably silly reasons.......I like the music and both instructors in Ballet Physique and BarreAmped just because I was impressed by the clip and Suzanne seems very pleasant. They have Intermediate ratings at Collage and totalfitnessdvds (which is where I bought them from, of course) so we will see...I believe it's BarreAmped that has the modifier, another plus.

I am finally accepting that I now have physical issues to push through but it hasn't been easy for me. I have been active with few restrictions most of my life so this is difficult. I m just so happy there are so many different exercise styles out there. I think high impact is over for me which is ok since I never liked high impact stuff anyway I did plenty of it but not once did I enjoy it.
Thanks again for all the advice and help to make me feel not so alone. You guys are the BEST and I look forward to hearing from anyone else regarding your results
Old 01-25-14, 03:00 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
Regarding Barre, I could be a walking billboard for all the rehabilitative help it has provided for my aching body that wasn't achieved from all the traditional (and alternative) medical help I sought, which for the first time makes me think I should take my own advice I am giving you and speak with my accountant about including my Barre classes with my 2013 medical expense on my tax return.
Haha, rad, that's awesome! I've also found barre very therapeutic.

Judy, I think you'll like those workouts. The Ballet Physiques have a modifier, too. IIRC, they aren't any thigh dancing sequences in those, and that seems to be a tough exercise for people with knee issues.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arthritis, barre, osteoarthritis