Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-13, 12:03 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
What they said was ugly, but I have to admit that it did make me giggle a little bit {blush}
Me too......

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 01:16 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
Wow, I thought I liked Jennifer Galardi but that was just immature. Like a couple of junior varsity cheerleaders talking trash about the head cheerleader. This is not only insulting to TA, but to those that like her workouts as well.
I agree with this. I cut Buti (not sure if it was Bizzie herself since she was referred to in third person) some slack since they had members that quit TA's studio to do Buti because of pain and other reasons. So they were asking for their experiences. When others protested, they said to feel free to post positive TA experiences.

I also didn't post in Lauren's thread since it looked like she was referring to an article. And I figured she has a different way from doing kbs than Dasha.

However, this Twitter exchange was basically only done to bash TA's Mat wo. If Jennifer didn't agree with TA's method, she could have expressed why in a different way. Between this and her Bar Method comment, she isn't handling social media very well.

What's sad is that there is room for all these instructors. I have DVDs from TA, Buti, Lauren, Dasha, Bar Method, and Jennifer. And I like all of them in their own way.
Old 08-26-13, 01:18 PM  
JessicaW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Me too......
Me three...oops
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 01:27 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I think that people sometimes start chatting on social media and they start having fun and gossiping -- and they seem to forget that they're not having a private conversation, and that everyone else on the planet can read what they're posting.
So true! And it's even worse when professionals do it when they are ABSOLUTELY aware of the public following. Several years ago a number of agents and editors in the children's literature community (AGENTS! and EDITORS!!) got into trouble because a Twitter critique party got totally out of control. Aspiring authors submitted their work to be critiqued by these hard-to-access professionals... and what was meant to be a constructive, educational experience quickly degenerated into unprofessional, snarky attacks on the submissions--the sort of thing I think we all understand goes on in a closed reading room at a publishing house, but should NEVER, EVER be seen by the public. It was nasty and embarrassing... not just for those involved (on both sides), but for our industry as a whole.

To me the issue is less about dogging the competition (almost every product in the world does that at some point or another; and I totally agree, it's tasteless and does not motivate me to buy whatever it is you're selling) but about behaving professionally. When you're in the public eye and have a product to promote, you need to be even MORE cautious and responsible about the image you're presenting. It's possible to disagree respectfully and to offer valid criticism of methods/products you don't agree with... but don't use your celebrity as license to act like an idiot; it only makes YOU look tacky.
Old 08-26-13, 01:40 PM  
Lizzo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
To me the issue is less about dogging the competition (almost every product in the world does that at some point or another; and I totally agree, it's tasteless and does not motivate me to buy whatever it is you're selling) but about behaving professionally. When you're in the public eye and have a product to promote, you need to be even MORE cautious and responsible about the image you're presenting. It's possible to disagree respectfully and to offer valid criticism of methods/products you don't agree with... but don't use your celebrity as license to act like an idiot; it only makes YOU look tacky.
Perfectly stated. This is the reason I don't care for method/instructor bashing from other fitness professionals (especially if the criticism isn't come from a place of questioning safety or efficiency).

http://musingsofafitnessjunkie.blogspot.com
Lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 02:06 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Agree. If it was meant to be a conversation between the two of them then it shouldn't be on twitter.
+1
I dislike our culture's need to make everything public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
This is not only insulting to TA, but to those that like her workouts as well.
This.
Instructor's must know that most home exercisers use a variety of dvds. Why risk alienating your clientele with insults?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 03:03 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Instructor's must know that most home exercisers use a variety of dvds. Why risk alienating your clientele with insults?
That's the part that makes no sense to me at all.
Old 08-26-13, 04:23 PM  
Stephanie_B

Wow.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 04:31 PM  
faith458

Wow! IMO, that exchange was truly awful. If they wanted to behave like middle school girls, they should have kept it to themselves. If I posted comments like that about other professionals with whom I interact, I could (and probably would) get fired. I don't know when it became okay to tear people down so publicly. When teenagers do this on Facebook, we call it bullying. What makes it okay for adults on twitter??

I have never used any of Jennifer's DVDs, but I was thinking of buying her latest barre workout. As a true vidiot, I saw people "talking" about it and thought "Woo, I need that." I then heard about her barre comments and decided to wait. After this exchange, I won't be buying her workout. To me that was unprofessional and I'm not in the mood to support her.

Faith
faith458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 04:47 PM  
topfitmama

Jennifer may have an ax to grind. After all, Kim K. went to her when she wanted to fit in her jeans by Friday, and then ran off to Tracy when she got pregnant. Just sayin....
Perhaps Ashley Borden's rolling it out will come next? Who knows with these celebrities anyway! Kelly Ripa is the big name on P57 DVDs, but she's moved on to other trainers.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ashley borden, jennifer galardi, pearl clutching, snark, tracy anderson, twitter