Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-14, 10:32 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm sure if you worked out at the Cosgrove's gym, they would substitute another move if there was one that didn't work for your body, so figure out something that works for you.

I never did the high pull. I did the high push as mentioned up thread. That's what you'll do in phase 2. In phase 2, there's a lot of emphasis on balance as well as lifting.
Old 04-23-14, 07:25 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I'm sure if you worked out at the Cosgrove's gym, they would substitute another move if there was one that didn't work for your body, so figure out something that works for you.

I never did the high pull. I did the high push as mentioned up thread. That's what you'll do in phase 2. In phase 2, there's a lot of emphasis on balance as well as lifting.
Jane, I'm using the DVDs, not the book, so I haven't seen that move yet (I know, I could skip ahead and preview...). Is that starting in a squat and then pushing up to an overhead press? Thanks!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 09:37 AM  
Sophie

High pulls are actually a very technical move and I was quite surprised to see it appear in D2S (I have the book, not the DVDs). It's the sort of lift that a coach will work on with an athlete for weeks to get their form down and...well, prevent injury. The move should/could be explosive enough not just to get on the toes, but at some point, feet will actually leave the floor. It's a prerequisite to the hang clean.

I would not sub a push-press though. D2S is designed like NROL and SC and their general philosophy is to substitute moves with similar elements: push press is a squat with a vertical push, high pulls are a hinge with some vertical pull. If anything, it most resembles a kettlebell clean. That's what I would do - a single or double kettlebell clean instead. Or the kettlebell high pull and catch as suggested upthread.

(I do like push presses and would do them as scheduled, just not as a sub).

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d2s, drop 2 sizes, drop two sizes, high pull, push-up substitutions, rachel cosgrove, substitution