MariC

Just wondering if there are any stretch
Or yoga involved in this program

Thanks

Mari
MariC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 12:46 PM  
shaka02

Stretches are built in to the warm up and some of the "rest" periods between strength exercises. Most stretches are dynamic.

There are no stretches or cool down at the end. Many folks are adding their own.

ETA: no yoga

Deb
shaka02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 01:01 PM  
fit44

The program is designed using 4 workouts (3 strength, one metabolic) each week, 2 days are active rest for you to fill in what you want (hiking, walking, bike, yoga).
I'm adding yoga to my active rest days if this helps.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 03:19 PM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
Oh wow, good to know. Why exactly do you like it so much? Do you follow rotation as is or do anything else?
I have been doing the rotation as written with no other weight work, but I do some other cardio on the active rest days like Pure Spice or boxing, and just starting to check out my Doonya dvds . I also get in a few episodes of CS every week, and lately I have been doing the KCM Your Healthy Back dvd (which is fantastic btw). I did hurt my back a little in one of the phase 3 metabolic workouts, well, I tweaked it in a boxing class, then this dvd was the final nail so to speak, so I felt it coming on and should have just stopped the workout, but stupidly I pushed through. This is a recurring injury for me, and I have hurt it doing Cathe, doing deadlifts with a weight lifting group, and even just running stairs, so I can't blame any one of them for being "wrong", I just have to be extra cautious and not let my guard down.

It was more than just the "results", I never seem to get amazing results no matter what I do, however after about week 5 or 6, I saw my family, and everyone kept commenting on how much weight I had lost, when in reality it may have been a few pounds only. I definitely feel and look slimmer. I still feel muscular, but I am not getting that "swell" in my bi's and quads like I do with more focused lifting routines. And my arms and legs already being a bit stocky, I don't need the extra swell

So aside from that, I really enjoy the format from start to finish, I love using the foam rolling, I had never done that with any consistency before this program. The RAMP warmup is really part of the workout more so than just a warmup, it's helping me increase my flexibility and especially in the hip flexor, I like how I really feel ready for the workout when I finish up the foam and RAMP. I can feel that my squats are improving and I can go lower in them than when I started and I am certain that is from all this hip stretching.

I love the generally slower pace of the Strength workouts, I have really lost my taste for too much high impact and go-go-go kind of workouts, and I have always enjoyed lifting. I like that she does core work first to get it out of the way, and that there isn't very much of it. Since she incorporates core in nearly every exercise, she doesn't have to rep us to death with just core focused stuff. All of the exercises incorporate multiple body parts to get the move done, so no time wasted on smaller muscles, they get worked in the process, so it's all a very effective use of my workout time.

The phases get progressively harder, and phase 3 is tough for sure. Because of my back, I may have to limit the Metabolic workouts I do to only the Phase 1 and 2 since they do move faster than the Strength.

Usually when nearing the end of a rotation, I get sick of the workouts, but I feel like this style of workout is simply more effective than others, so I want to learn how to use the workouts from the other books, but the challenge there is I don't really like paper workouts, so I may try subbing some exercises for new ones but still follow the dvds for another rotation.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 03:37 PM  
momofcha

For those of you nearing the end of this rotation - what's next? Can you repeat this using heavier weights??

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 09:19 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela View Post
I have been doing the rotation as written with no other weight work, but I do some other cardio on the active rest days like Pure Spice or boxing, and just starting to check out my Doonya dvds . I also get in a few episodes of CS every week, and lately I have been doing the KCM Your Healthy Back dvd (which is fantastic btw). I did hurt my back a little in one of the phase 3 metabolic workouts, well, I tweaked it in a boxing class, then this dvd was the final nail so to speak, so I felt it coming on and should have just stopped the workout, but stupidly I pushed through. This is a recurring injury for me, and I have hurt it doing Cathe, doing deadlifts with a weight lifting group, and even just running stairs, so I can't blame any one of them for being "wrong", I just have to be extra cautious and not let my guard down.

It was more than just the "results", I never seem to get amazing results no matter what I do, however after about week 5 or 6, I saw my family, and everyone kept commenting on how much weight I had lost, when in reality it may have been a few pounds only. I definitely feel and look slimmer. I still feel muscular, but I am not getting that "swell" in my bi's and quads like I do with more focused lifting routines. And my arms and legs already being a bit stocky, I don't need the extra swell

So aside from that, I really enjoy the format from start to finish, I love using the foam rolling, I had never done that with any consistency before this program. The RAMP warmup is really part of the workout more so than just a warmup, it's helping me increase my flexibility and especially in the hip flexor, I like how I really feel ready for the workout when I finish up the foam and RAMP. I can feel that my squats are improving and I can go lower in them than when I started and I am certain that is from all this hip stretching.

I love the generally slower pace of the Strength workouts, I have really lost my taste for too much high impact and go-go-go kind of workouts, and I have always enjoyed lifting. I like that she does core work first to get it out of the way, and that there isn't very much of it. Since she incorporates core in nearly every exercise, she doesn't have to rep us to death with just core focused stuff. All of the exercises incorporate multiple body parts to get the move done, so no time wasted on smaller muscles, they get worked in the process, so it's all a very effective use of my workout time.

The phases get progressively harder, and phase 3 is tough for sure. Because of my back, I may have to limit the Metabolic workouts I do to only the Phase 1 and 2 since they do move faster than the Strength.

Usually when nearing the end of a rotation, I get sick of the workouts, but I feel like this style of workout is simply more effective than others, so I want to learn how to use the workouts from the other books, but the challenge there is I don't really like paper workouts, so I may try subbing some exercises for new ones but still follow the dvds for another rotation.

good for you. congratulations. i woder if this would work well with tracy anderson.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 09:29 PM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
good for you. congratulations. i woder if this would work well with tracy anderson.
Thank you . I don't know nearly enough about TA to even guess. But I think it would fine with her cardio on the active rest days. I know Rachel does not advocate adding any other kind of strength building on the active rest days.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 09:26 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Sorry to hijack a little, but I almost ordered this yesterday and it came to $34.99 with free shipping. I thought I remembered a 25 off code at one time? I didn't see anywhere to apply the code though. Is that sale price over? It's still a good price, no doubt, but I want to make sure I'm not missing a discount. TIA
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 09:51 AM  
saffron

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Sorry to hijack a little, but I almost ordered this yesterday and it came to $34.99 with free shipping. I thought I remembered a 25 off code at one time? I didn't see anywhere to apply the code though. Is that sale price over? It's still a good price, no doubt, but I want to make sure I'm not missing a discount. TIA
Did you order from Rodale? https://www.rodalestore.com/womenshe...d-program.html

I just ordered (as in 2 mins ago lol) and the code worked for me. It's "customer25". I paid $30 CAD including shipping.
saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 09:53 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thanks, saffron. I'll use that link you posted and try it from there. I'm on my way out now, but I'll definitely check it out later
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d2s, drop two sizes, rachel cosgrove