Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-12, 08:50 PM  
Dawn3

The Firm Low/High Impact Workouts

Okay so I have EVERY Firm workout and I've been struggling with osteoarthritis in both knees and have bakers cysts and have been going to a physical therapist. Both the therapist and my doctor have said no more high impact workouts, especially anything with plyometrics. I am okay modifying a DVD only to a certain extent. For instance if there is one set of plyo moves in a DVD I can skip that, but I would hate to continually have to skip/alter moves. Soooo I am planning on getting rid of several of my Firm workouts that are high intensity. I cannot remember what DVD's have what in them. I know the BSS1 set is pretty low impact and the Basic set for sure is okay. I also know that the Express set is pretty high impact. Can the great VF'ers help me out and tell me what Firm workouts are high impact? It would help me out so much, I would hate to have to play all of them to find out.

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-20-12, 08:56 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

I know that this is not what you asked BUT . . .

since I developed arthritic knees, I have gotten so good at modifying workouts -- don't be too quick to get rid of workouts that you enjoy because you think you aren't willing to modify. You might surprise yourself and find that you can still get in a lot of intensity without the impact.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 09:56 PM  
fatkat555

I know that a lot of people with arthritis have purchased rebounders and modify the Firm workouts to do on the rebounder. I'd ask your doctor about it before trying it, but it might be an option for you.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 10:42 PM  
dbclark44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfreund View Post
I know that this is not what you asked BUT . . .

since I developed arthritic knees, I have gotten so good at modifying workouts -- don't be too quick to get rid of workouts that you enjoy because you think you aren't willing to modify. You might surprise yourself and find that you can still get in a lot of intensity without the impact.

Gwynn
I second what Gwynn says. Most plyo moves can be modified into squats or lunges anyway. Like Gwynn, I've become real good at modifying workouts since I cut out high impact but still like certain workouts.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 11:08 PM  
lrb04

I also agree with others. I am modifying all my Firms.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 11:09 PM  
princess76

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water...

I usually modify Firm workouts depending on my mood & energy level. Why get rid of them when you have the whole set? I regret tossing my Firms w/ the fanny lifter tall box step based on my former chiropractor's advice.
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-12, 10:19 AM  
cttx31

I remember Super Cardio Mix being high impact with all of the bunny hops and such. I haven't done that one for years because I hate hi-lo.

Carol
cttx31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-12, 10:31 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttx31 View Post
I remember Super Cardio Mix being high impact with all of the bunny hops and such. I haven't done that one for years because I hate hi-lo.

Carol
The nice thing about this DVD is that it's programmable (Super Cardio Mix, Super Cardio is not). Therefore I only choose the step and 4 limb segments, the other ones are too high impact for me.

Although I recently did Volume 1 and I modified the cardio sections to low impact and it was fairly simple to do. Even the iron aerobics section was mainly jogging with weights, I just marched in place and it worked fine. Fortunately there are only a couple aerobic sections anyway.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-12, 10:34 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Firm Cardio with Heidi, Firm Strength with Pam, Vols. 4, 5, 6 and Tortoise are all pretty much low impact.
Old 04-22-12, 10:54 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttx31 View Post
Firm high impact is the easiest stuff to modify. For bunny hops I step forward left/right and back left/right. For plyo jumps you can do bounce squats (feet never leave the ground). Very athletic, very modifiable.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
osteoarthritis