Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

LOL at this thread!

I got my butt at IHOP.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 01:00 PM  
cin777

Turn-up thigh definitely. Videofit, what Margaret Richard worked for you?
cin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 09:26 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cin777
Turn-up thigh definitely. Videofit, what Margaret Richard worked for you?
Any of them. They all have floorwork. If you want to buy one, start with All My Best because it's a "parts" DVD consisting of chapters from many of her workouts over the years.
Old 03-06-09, 09:41 PM  
jhardy

I definitely have had the dreaded "shelf"/"square" butt. Right now, I seem to have a bit of it that I am trying to get rid of. For me, I haven't quite figured out what causes it or what gets rid of it.

Whenever I do the pretzel move, I feel that it targets the area on my butt that is a little overdeveloped and causes me to look squarish. However, I had assumed that the pretzel move was good at getting rid of the square butt, but it may actually build that muscle more.

I am experimenting with it right now to see what works best. I am trying to go back to a lot of traditional floor work with the addition of barre type exercises. I have found that using val slides (gliding disks) when doing lunges has really helped to lift my butt.

When I was doing some distance running, I think it helped lesson the squarish effect, but I also didn't have a lifted butt. It was definitely more flat, like a pancake. For me, the shelf is at the gluteus medius area (top/side) and is literally a little shelf or bulge.

If anyone has found a solution to this problem, please let me know. I haven't done tall box/leg press for years, so I know it isn't a matter of just that exercise.

Jen
jhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 09:57 PM  
carole r.

Well, I have that shape, but I can't blame it on the Firm. I noticed it before I ever started doing the Firm. I think it has more to do with where you store fat. I just naturally store it on the sides of my hips.
Old 03-07-09, 02:30 PM  
junadelam

It looks like this is a hotly contested topic all over the web. Way to go to VF for spotting another trend.

http://www.google.com/search?q=panca...ient=firefox-a
junadelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 08:19 AM  
Bliss6789

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaShanti
I've never seen a square butt, either. The Firm instructors certainly don't have them, and I've never seen anyone who uses the Firm with a square butt. I don't get what you're talking about.
When I first heard about the square butt syndrome and tall box leg presses, I couldn't visualize it either. But not long after, I was doing either Firm Cardio or Firm Strength (can't remember which), and I noticed that one of the background exercisers had a flat-ish square butt when viewed from the back. She's the blonde with the short haircut; I believe she was on the cover of the Firm for Life book. She has a nice, slender figure, but definitely a square rear view. I agree though that most Firm instructors don't have them.

Old 03-08-09, 11:59 AM  
F1mom

I have wide hips, so that makes me look even more squared off if I do 14" leg presses with heavy weights. I never had this problem when I only used Vols. 1 & 2 (because they were the only ones available). The problem showed up for me with Vol. 3.

Doing a variety of workouts, using the 8" portion of the FL/TF and adding walking helped enormously, and I'm happy to say I don't have square butt anymore.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 01:30 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngoat
LOL at Sponge Bob's picture Melissa, thanks!

Hmm, now I'm fascinated. Does anyone know the impact of kettlebells or heavy deadlifts on this problem? I have been really concentrating on these to rid myself of chronic back pain (it worked - the pain's gone!). My butt has improved a lot from the side, but I really haven't checked out the back view lately! Now I'm afraid to look!

Lori
Kettlebells have done more for my butt/back/upper back thigh than 10 years of weightlifting. The Kettlebell Goddess lower body premix did it for me. I'm a convert.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 02:38 PM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

I must confess

I must confess that I did indeed develop a square butt from doing The Firm. I had a flat butt to begin with and when I did Firm workouts exclusively my butt got well...square (maybe more rectangular, really). It didn't occur to me how square until I started doing other workouts and saw a huge difference. I didn't quit doing my Firm workouts because of the square butt, because as I said, my realization about the squareness of my butt didn't occur until after the squareness started going away. I simply became interested in other workouts - Squeeze and Jillian's specifically - and like them more. Since I've been doing Squeeze and Jillian, my butt has lifted and gotten round. The shape has changed enough that my SO has commented on it (positively).

Consequently, I've backed off my Firms, and do no more than two Firm workouts per week max regardless of whether they contain leg press or not. I'll always love my Firms, but I get better results from Squeeze and Jillian, so those workouts get the bulk of my time.

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm deathbox, firm for life, spongebob butt