Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-19, 10:40 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I have now done both of these in some format. Overall I am very happy with both of them! I was not all that thrilled with Kelly's last few offerings (I like Sculpting Rx but the Stepboxing one was so slow and off tempo it was hard for me to do, and while I've found new life in Build and Burn it's not my favorite), so I am pleased that these meet my needs better.

Strong and Lean: I did the premix that alternated the weights with kickboxing. I also used a band instead of tubing.

General: I got a great workout, and it moved quickly enough that there was no boredom IMHO. Although there was equipment switching in the strength portion, it wasn't hard to switch quickly since there were only 3 different things.

The good: the music was fine. I'm not one to notice music much since for weight work in particular it's just background for me. I really only notice if it's blatantly off the beat or distracting in some way. I actually enjoyed the Latin flavored songs in the Lean portion and it fit the movements IMHO.

The transitions to me were pretty seamless, and I didn't have to race to get to the next piece of equipment in the strength portion.

There were some different movements, and the sequences were well put together IMHO.

Kelly is encouraging as usual. This workout includes Sammy and Jayne. It's not a deal breaker, but I do prefer having background exercisers, just for someone new to look at.

The bad: I don't use the same weight barbell for all the movements she does so I subbed dumbbells when I needed a lower weight.

These are my random thoughts, apologies for the randomness! I give it two paws up!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 12:05 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I just did Cardio Sculpt Overload, as is (but without the weighted vest.) This is the one I had the most trepidation about (and the fact that Kelly was alone.) The workout was great, as was Kelly flying solo! I loved how straightforward the choreography was. Nothing too complex or difficult to do. I'm sure it's much tougher with the vest and heavier weights than I used today, but I will do this one again, for sure!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 03:01 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I also had trepidation about Cardio Sculpt Overload. I picked up an 8 pound weighted vest at Target for $25 and did the workout yesterday including all the additional segments.

General: I really, really like this one! The weighted vest really helped to increase the intensity, and I didn't mind Kelly being on her own. The music was fine with me, not distracting and it provided a nice background IMHO. Kelly does offer a music on/off option (she also does with Lean and Strong). At the end Kelly invited the crew to say goodbye so they came out and waved. Greg came out too and it was good to see him on camera.

For reference: Kelly uses 2 pound weights for the "super light" dumbbells for boxing and 12 1/2 pounds for the compound moves. Someone posted that Kelly used a 6 pound weighted vest. I used 2 pounds for light, 15 lbs for heavy, and my "obptional" (couldn't resist ) weighted vest was 8 lbs.

The good: pleasantly surprised at how much I like cardio with the weighted vest. Now I plan on using it for other cardio workouts.

I like that she slowed down the boxing moves since she was holding weights. I tried using weights for Cathe's Rev'd up Rumble but the moves were too fast to be safe, at least for me, so the slower pace in CSO boxing was a plus.

I like "circuit style" workouts and the option to make this more difficult by using the vest and adjusting the weights.

I like the format, adding on more segments to extend the workout. I would have been happy with another segment! I wasn't bothered by the breaks between the extra sections where you choose whether to go on or stretch.

The choreography was easy to follow and since each section was brief, for me at least there was no boredom.

The bad: I wish she would have said upfront what her weight selection was and how much her vest weighed. Halfway through both the first compound and boxing segments she did say what she was using, but I would have liked to know beforehand to get an idea what I would use. There are many definitions of "super light" and "heavy."

This one is definitely a keeper and I like it better than Strong and Lean. I am surprised by that for sure! This despite something she said in the workout that has nothing to do with the workout itself, but kind of bugged me. Enough to start a separate thread to get some opinions.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kcm, kelly coffey-meyer