Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-19, 05:07 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I love Linda/Barlates and her Tonique-style workouts, as they are shorter and more doable, like other people have said. Sylwia's workouts just get harder and longer and I love her method and her energy, but Linda is just more approachable for me lately.

But I agree with Verine and Casey that she excessively borrows from Sylwia. I know she credited Sylwia in her January video, but she uses the very same exercises/sequences in many of her workouts, even though others are mixed up with some other non-Tonique exercises. She also uses Sylwia's "positive suffering/torture" expression in some of her workouts. It gives me mixed feelings since I do really enjoy Linda's workouts, and have purchased some of her Tonique style DVDs.

On the topic of Tonique, did anyone see her news recently that her butt masks were showcased during New York's fashion week? Great for her!! https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/201...s-chromat-nyfw
Old 02-19-19, 03:25 PM  
Verine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post

On the topic of Tonique, did anyone see her news recently that her butt masks were showcased during New York's fashion week? Great for her!! https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/201...s-chromat-nyfw
I did see that. Even better, she supposedly filmed a workout (Get Dirty 2?) while she was in Costa Rica earlier this year! I hope she will continue producing Tonique workouts even though her focus these days seems to be promoting her other products (Dope Naturally and butt masks) .

Christina
Verine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-19, 08:56 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRfK8g_prWA

Linda talks about the influence Tonique has had on her recent workouts. The changes she describes that she introduced (less reps, better cueing and form guidance, not as long, adding in some of her "flavor" from her previous workouts, etc) are all reasons that I dramatically prefer Linda's workouts over Sylwia. I always liked Tonique in theory and enjoyed the movements, but overall Linda's style is SO much better (in my opinion). I also prefer Linda's production values as well. She is also MUCH more affordable with her downloads and dvds then Tonique, so there's that.

She also mentions she's going to be getting back to her rebounder workouts, too. Yay!
Old 02-22-19, 09:50 AM  
Verine
VF Supporter

Colleen—

I think the “different strokes for different folks” expression applies here LOL. I think the exact opposite, that Sylwia’s production values are much better (that scenery!), and I think her pricing is reasonable for the most part. And to get through high rep workouts, you need good music, which Sylwia has; I can barely hear the music in Linda’s workouts. I watched the Coffee Talk and I still don’t really understand why she felt she was doing us a service by taking someone else’s technique and “reinterpreting” it. My original point was that those who are unfamiliar with Tonique would never know that Linda “borrowed” so heavily from it, and might think, “hey, that Linda is so creative”, when in fact she took all of Sylwia’s signature moves.

With that being said, I still like and buy Linda’s workouts, and she offers a very cheap (or free) way to work out. I think her creativity shines the most in the workouts she produces using equipment. I do wish that she would take her time with filming and offer more full-length workouts (with audible music) instead of series of shorter ones.

Christina
Verine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-19, 10:52 AM  
Maybelle

I finally did Endurance 120 Lower and Obliques download yesterday and loved it. Colleen, thanks again for posting about it. I modified a few of the oblique moves, but otherwise really enjoyed the flow and can feel it in my glutes today.

I love Sylwia and did Tonique for quite awhile, but for me, this structure is much more practical - doable length, easy-to-follow cuing, same exercises on each side, timed intervals vs. uneven reps. That said, it makes me miss Tonique a bit so I plan to pull out an old favorite soon and do what I can (Addicted to Movement or Born to Move.) There’s so much cross-over and so many hybrids in the fitness and yoga worlds that I don’t think much about the origin of the moves/style. I’m more focused on what works for my body and lifestyle, but I totally see Christina’s point.

Now of course I want more of Linda’s endurance workouts but I’m not sure what to do next. Should I buy the 12 workout set: Barlates Body Blitz Endurance 100, 110, & 120 Interval Training? Or does anyone have suggestions as to a few of the best to add? What are your other favorites?

Thank you!
Maybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-19, 01:11 PM  
wlorrie

[QUOTE

Now of course I want more of Linda’s endurance workouts but I’m not sure what to do next. Should I buy the 12 workout set: Barlates Body Blitz Endurance 100, 110, & 120 Interval Training? Or does anyone have suggestions as to a few of the best to add? What are your other favorites?

Thank you![/QUOTE]

I like all of the 120 workouts, and I like the cardio sculpt ones from 110 and 100. I did find Add it On, Take it off, and Singles and Double (I can't recall which was 100 or 110) to be a little too repetitive. Add it On felt particularly boring to me, which is funny because I love 1+2+3 which is a similar concept. I love all of the Endurance 90 and 70 workouts which, I believe, are on her Youtube site.

Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-19, 01:19 AM  
Theeearn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verine View Post
I did see that. Even better, she supposedly filmed a workout (Get Dirty 2?) while she was in Costa Rica earlier this year! I hope she will continue producing Tonique workouts even though her focus these days seems to be promoting her other products (Dope Naturally and butt masks) .

Christina
I was thinking the same thing. I wasn’t keeping up with Sylwia’s new releases do to being very pregnant. Now that I’m back to my old self (sort of) I have been doing mainly Tonique for a month. I too noticed that she hasn’t been releasing as many videos. I hope she continues to put out new workouts.
Theeearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-19, 11:24 PM  
Maybelle

[/QUOTE]

I like all of the 120 workouts, and I like the cardio sculpt ones from 110 and 100. I did find Add it On, Take it off, and Singles and Double (I can't recall which was 100 or 110) to be a little too repetitive. Add it On felt particularly boring to me, which is funny because I love 1+2+3 which is a similar concept. I love all of the Endurance 90 and 70 workouts which, I believe, are on her Youtube site.

Lorrie[/QUOTE]

Thanks Lorrie! I looked at the preview video on Totalfitness DVD's before I saw your post and your suggestions basically mirror my notes about what looks most appealing. With her buy 2, get one free promo I could save quite a bit just getting those 6 downloads... but I'm still intrigued by the full DVD. Great to know about the ones on YouTube though to keep me busy while I decide. I appreciate your help.
Maybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barlates, endurance 100, linda wooldridge