Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-13, 01:38 PM  
yahoo205

Weights or Toning Before or After Cardio? Tracy COntinuity Cosgrove Drop Two Sizes

I'm doing Drop two sizes Phase 1 and Month 1 Year 1 Omnicentric Continuity.

I am currently doing omni 5 days a week and D2S (3 total body strength 50-60 mins) and 1-3 metabolic (15-25 mins) workouts.

M, W, F: Omni (1st), RAMP, D2S Strength
T, Thurs: Omni alone or Omni (1st) and 15 or 25 minute metabolic workout
Sat: 15 or 25 minute metabolic workout or walking.

Is it better to do the Omni 1st? I remember Debbie S. (and some others I think) saying that doing cardio before toning or strength keeps the heart rate up. I'm worried about doing the metabolic workouts without a little warmup and I really don't want to do RAMP every day.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 10:49 AM  
yahoo205

anyone? I am currently doing Omni Continuity Day 111 to 120 1.1.1 and am shocked how much I'm sweating.

I am also loving D2S Strength. I love doing two different total body weight exercises per week (total 3 strength per week) and the focus on core and lack of all the isolation moves.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 11:04 AM  
twinkletoes

I thought I heard that you should do weights first while you still have all your energy. If you do cardio first, you might be too wiped out to lift as heavy as you could/should (and you do want to lift your heaviest with D2D)
Old 08-02-13, 11:10 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
I thought I heard that you should do weights first while you still have all your energy.
That's what I've heard, too. For the exact same reason. This question has come up before (can you believe it on a site about fitness? ). Here are some past threads:

http://www.videofitness.com/~vfwnk/f...d.php?t=151023

http://www.videofitness.com/~vfwnk/f...ad.php?t=11422

http://www.videofitness.com/~vfwnk/f...ad.php?t=20405

Sorry these are so old. I just couldn't lay my hands on newer threads.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 11:28 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I've heard arguments for both ways. I'd say try them both out and see how your body feels. I do know that if I do weights first before complicated step cardio that it's easier to trip. However, if I do plain cardio, it's fine.
Old 08-02-13, 12:30 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I've heard arguments for both ways. I'd say try them both out and see how your body feels. I do know that if I do weights first before complicated step cardio that it's easier to trip. However, if I do plain cardio, it's fine.
I've heard good arguments both ways too. I would usually do the warmup then the strength first because I want to focus on form and if I am too tired I can get sloppy with form. Then I would do cardio. Which cardio are you doing? Is it the dance cardio from omni or are your doing omni muscle structure as cardio?

In the past I use to do cardio first as a warmup as that was suggested by my old trainer. I think I kind of prefer strength first if doing both in the same workout. I think it may depend on your goals at the time--improving strength or improving aerobic fitness. With heavy and moderately heavy weight circuits my heart rate gets higher than it does for moderate or gentle cardio--so doing this first also helps keep my heart rate higher during the cardio. Also some trainers have a theory that doing anaerobic exercise followed by aerobic exercise can help boost fat loss. I am not sure if this is true--but there are two variations on this theme one is doing a short hiit workout, cooling down then doing gentler steady state cardio. The other variation is doing strength training first followed by aerobic exercise.

I think either way can be effective as it seems different people get good results either way. If one is better than the other the difference is probably small.

With heavy weights though I think I would do TA last since all the reps can fatigue the muscles. Good form is important for both types of exercise though (all types really), but you can always drop reps on the TA muscle structure or pace yourself on the dance cardio if pre fatigued. It may depend how tiring TA is for you though.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 12:33 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
\ I do know that if I do weights first before complicated step cardio that it's easier to trip. However, if I do plain cardio, it's fine.
Good point, I probably would not do strength training before step aerobics or agility drill cardio, etc. It depends on whether fatigue might make you more accident prone. I personally want to do whichever requires the most focus on form first (after the warmup). For me that is usually weights--but cardio workouts that require good coordination for safety could also be a priority. I would usually do such cardio on a non-strength day though.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 12:50 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
I'm doing Drop two sizes Phase 1 and Month 1 Year 1 Omnicentric Continuity.

I am currently doing omni 5 days a week and D2S (3 total body strength 50-60 mins) and 1-3 metabolic (15-25 mins) workouts.

M, W, F: Omni (1st), RAMP, D2S Strength
T, Thurs: Omni alone or Omni (1st) and 15 or 25 minute metabolic workout
Sat: 15 or 25 minute metabolic workout or walking.

Is it better to do the Omni 1st? I remember Debbie S. (and some others I think) saying that doing cardio before toning or strength keeps the heart rate up. I'm worried about doing the metabolic workouts without a little warmup and I really don't want to do RAMP every day.
Yes, I've said this, and I do recommend this.

As far as the cardio after strength work ideology goes, I don't think it applies unless you're seriously trying to build muscle. In this case, you should separate your strength work and cardio anyway. For example, cardio in the morning, strength work in the afternoon. I know "finishers" have gotten really popular in the last handful of years, but again, if you're trying to build muscles, keep the finishers short.

But you will always have a higher calorie burn during your strength work if you do a 25 to 30ish minute cardio workout.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 01:22 PM  
edensmom

I am like Debbie, I pretty much always do cardio first. It warms me up and makes my body more loose and limber. Plus it increases the calorie burn of the strength part of the workout because my HR is already up. I don't think it matters though really. Supposedly doing strength first uses up all the glycogen in the muscles so when you do your cardio you burn fat. But I found when I do strength first I just never wanted to follow up with cardio, I just wanted to be done for some reason. Cardio first gets me more pumped up and ready to work. I would do it however you prefer.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio first, continuity, drop 2 sizes, drop two sizes, omnicentric, rachel cosgrove, weights first