Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-17-11, 07:31 PM  
MelissaR

PowerBlock KettleBlock

For those of you who do Kettlebells, does anyone have an adjustable set? I'm thinking of starting this type of workout (based onVfer recommendations). After looking at kettlebells today at Target, I saw that this might be an expensive workout transition in equipment alone, not including any DVDs. I really like my PowerBlock adjustable dumbbells so I started looking into adjustable Kettlebells. Then I thought, hmm, I wonder if PowerBlock makes a Kettlebell & sure enough they do. Has anyone tried these or heard any comments on them? Or, can anyone recommend a good set?

Thanks for any input,
Mel
Old 04-18-11, 09:48 AM  
kat_b

Personally, I can't imagine using those for anything beyond swings, and I'd have to see them in person to see how that handle felt for even that. Cleans, Snatches, no way.

The Adjustable US Kettlebells held the most promise, IMO, but they weren't easy to change on the fly and when I priced out buying two, I decided it wasn't as much of a deal cost-wise over buying bells on sale. Something someone posted recently makes me think they may not be sold any more.

ETA: I'm assuming you're talking about these: http://www.powerblock.com/Kettleblocks.php
Old 04-18-11, 05:03 PM  
MelissaR

Thanks for the info! I'm new to Kb's so I'm not even sure what I'll be doing with them or it (are two needed or will one do the job?).

I like the space saving feature of my adjustable dumbbells.

Mel
Old 04-18-11, 06:44 PM  
kat_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaR View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm new to Kb's so I'm not even sure what I'll be doing with them or it (are two needed or will one do the job?).

I like the space saving feature of my adjustable dumbbells.

Mel
There are some moves I drop down in weight on as I get fatigued, and others where I just can't do the move with the same weight I use for swings. Found a review on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj73h5yxT_0 but I'm not so sure he's really "independent".
Old 04-18-11, 08:21 PM  
Alan

I think this Stamina Versa adjustable kettlebell shows more promise, although the handle looks a little skinny.

http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-36-Pou.../dp/B003DQSTCY
Old 04-19-11, 07:41 AM  
MelissaR

I found info yesterday online that totally talked me out of the adjustable Kb's. But, after watching the PowerBlock youtube video, I kind of like those. They are much more sturdier than I thought, based on what I know about my PowerBlock dumbbells. (I will learn more about the Stamina too) I don't see me doing anything hardcore or over the top. I've also heard that Kb workouts can be done with a dumbbell. If that's true, I might just get a workout for now, try it out with my dumbbells & see how I like that type of training.

Thank you for taking the time to help a fellow VFer out!
Mel
Old 04-19-11, 07:57 AM  
kat_b

Do they have a money back guarantee?

Better: are you some place you can try them out before you buy (perhaps a place with more traditional bells, too)?

YRMV, but def. check them out in the rack position: those corners would likely bug the heck out of me, not to mention pulling my wrist out of alignment, which is part of why I like my bells to have a flat spot.
Old 04-19-11, 03:13 PM  
KickDancer

I posted about the Versa-Bell here. I'm worried about the trapdoor mechanism flying open mid-swing.

Actually, I don't think I'd trust the KettleBlock for that either. I've read that the pins on the PowerBlock dumbbells can come out mid-swing, and the KettleBlock doesn't even have an enclosure for the pins. I would most definitely *not* try kettlebell moves with my PowerBlock dumbbells.

Tags
adjustable kettlebells, kettlebells, kettleblock, powerblock