Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-11-22, 10:21 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
The older I get, the more uninterested I am in drinking water. I've always tended towards dehydration and now in my 60s, I feel that regular dehydration is impacting my energy levels. I hike, garden, walk, do strength training. A few weeks ago I started incorporating a "homemade" electrolyte drink and I feel it's had a very positive impact. I suggest trying & see what works for you!

Basically:
2 cups water
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
You can also add 2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup of juice: lemon, etc.

I also noticed that it helps reduce my urgent need to pee every 45 minutes. The water actually stays in my body now.

-Anita
Thanks, Anita! A DIY recipe!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-22, 08:40 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I like to think that I'm generally a healthy eater, but when it comes to outdoor activities, I go for the junk It's also a great opportunity to clean out the fridge and pantry because you won't have any other choices once you're out there.

For snacks I'll eat pretty much anything: cookies, goldfish crackers, trail mix (with chocolate chips, of course), brownies, nuts, M&M's, chocolate covered coffee beans, maybe a sliced apple or dried fruit (probably not all on the same trip).

For a long hike or bike ride, I'll usually have two water bottles, one for plain water (it's also nice to squirt on my hands and face) and one for water mixed with an electrolyte drink or something sugary. Prior to one hike I really craved something cold and sweet and bought a bottle of peach flavored ice tea. It's mostly sugar, so I diluted it with water and used it over a couple of days. I also like V-8. Even though it's not the most refreshing drink, it seems to help. I then wash it down with water. I also drink it after a home workout.

I will admit though, that I'm never away from civilization for long. Even an all-day hike or ride will bring me into a town or two somewhere.
Old 05-13-22, 10:25 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Good info!

(Being a senior, I have to be especially cautious about becoming dehydrated.)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrolytes powder, hiking snacks, hot weather, walking