Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Getting Started with Videos > Beginners FAQ

Old 06-23-06, 08:29 AM  
ellaenchanted

I have disgree w/ this for someone who has never done step. It's not complicated, but the odd/artsy camera angles ans shots would make it difficult for someone who hasn't done any or much step because if often cuts away from showing footwork. That being said, it's great for someone who has a hang of the basics.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 05:50 PM  
cmanche

Cathe's Basic Step

I have Step Reebok and I don't know that I could have started out with it. Yes, it's rather basic but LONG, too! I got Cathe's Basic Step with my step when I bought it. I learned it section by section on a 4 inch step with no risers. Basic Step is just 30 minutes including the warm up and cool down. It's not too terribly boring, either. I would suggest that.

HTH,
Denise
cmanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 06:28 PM  
Harivelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ 5
This is a great thread.

I wouldn't recommend reebok the video as I found it incredibly depressing they act like drones in the video and none of them smile. .
Yep, they made me uncomfortable too.
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 12:20 PM  
6Swans4Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by debclements
Hi all-
I'm going to be purchasing one of those long steps as I've added Cathe tapes to my collection and wondered which one is the best to get?

I've checked locally and the only thing I can find is the Reebok System at $79.99. It starts at 6" and goes to 10" and inclines.

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Thanks-
Deb
Hi Deb,

I've only been stepping for a month. I bought the small step which included Cathe's Basic Step dvd. I plan on purchasing the longer black/gray club step so I can add risers to it later. After I learned and could complete Basic Step without gasping for air, I started Cathe's Low Impact Step/ Total Body Sculpting dvd. In that dvd, Cathe adds a little more to the choreography taught in Basic Step. Also, the body sculpting portion helped increase my strength so I could do the cardio portion with more ease. Now that I have the choreography down pat and can complete it without gasping for air, I am trying Cathe's LowMax. I don't know if LowMax was the best progression since the choreography isn't broken down as much as my previous dvds were. I think her earlier step videos would have been a better choice for progression. Since I'm determined to complete LowMax, I am going to learn the cardio portion before adding the intensity blasts one at a time.

I've noticed that it's easier on my body if I try not to learn too much at once. When I do, I'm so busy concentrating on the choreography that my form suffers-- I don't step toeball to heel or my knee isn't facing front. I feel it in the knees the next day. Learning in small increments while hitting the rewind and pause buttons and then adding in another already "can do" cardio at the end helps me to not forge ahead too fast.
6Swans4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 09:41 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Reviving this another year later...

The OP has (had?) a smaller home step, which is what I have. I'm not a huge fan of stepping and need the choreography to be really simple (plus I simply don't have enough space) so did the opposite of most of you -- I replaced the long step with the short one!

Anyway, FWIW I thought it might be helpful to list my step workouts which utilize the short step, since I won't use videos that feature the long one (I'm anal, I know ):
~Buns of Steel Step 2000 (old VHS)
~Weight Watchers Step and Sculpt (old VHS)
~Susan Powter's Lean Strong & Healthy (old VHS)
~Susan Powter's Burn Fat & Get Fit (old VHS)
~Keli Roberts' Ulitmate Step Workout (old VHS)
~Keli Roberts' Total Body Circuit Training (old VHS)
~Gilad's Step Aerobics
~Gilad's Step & Tone
~Cathe's Basic Step
~Cathe's Body Fusion
~Cathe's Low Impact Step
~Tamilee Webb's Tight On Time Body Blast (10-min section)
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slower step workouts, step, step without a step