Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-30-20, 04:58 PM  
Daphne M

Vannie - I can't figure out anyone else's metrics, TBH. I barely understand my own.

Cleda is using the Hydrow app with her own water rower and (I think) her monitor displays SPM but it doesn't display her 500 meter split time.

I've used both Concept2s (at my gym) and water rowers (Orangetheory) and was always screwing up the monitors. The Hydrow is a good fit for me -- they've got KISS down to a science.

Also - how are you liking the Perfect 30 workouts? I'm considering putting the Perfect 30 Pump workouts on my Christmas list. I still like Cathe best when it comes to strength work.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 12:31 AM  
Vantreesta

Thanks to Helen and doing Perfect 30/XTrain together, I worked out today even though I almost bailed. I did day 10 of the 30-day Qi Gong challenge, premix 5 of XTrain Chest, Back & Shoulders bc I was running behind and Rowvember day 1 (starting over since I only did two of the workouts). I have got to get more sleep bc after my workouts and shower I was so tired I took an hour long nap.

I'm still tired and headed to bed. As always I'm behind on my plans and have too much on my list. Story of my life.

Daphne, I like the Perfect 30 workouts I've done. I have been sort of struggling with emotions/irritability the last couple weeks so I was a little cranky during workouts but I know I will enjoy them more on good mental days!

My aunt seems to be doing about the same. I misunderstood and my cousin was not there, which makes more sense. I sort of wondered how they would have let her visit when she wasn't sick.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 10:43 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Oy, I fell off the check-in wagon! Thank goodness we don't have new threads every month.

My just-a-cold hung on for about 10 days and then shockingly went away, no lingering cough like in the past. I took a full week off working out, so maybe that helped.

Vantreesta, do you like Perfect 30? I've been thinking about getting just the weight workouts but I have SO much I'm still trying out. I am sorry to hear about your aunt. I've known several people lately who've had COVID and the symptoms are all over the place.

Daphne, did you actually see Kamala? Brush with fame! I'm a little jealous of your variety. I've always wanted to try a rower but now that I've canceled all my gym memberships, who knows when that will happen.

Alison, I'm thinking of trying what you're doing--Body Beast plus Peloton and/or Les Mills cardio workouts. Do you do both every day? It sounds like you've gotten stronger! You're definitely running more than I.

Orthotics--I actually don't use them! I got a pair when I first had foot issues due to running back in probably 2012 or so. They seemed to help a bit but when I had issues again, I tried Hokas and then Altras. Low or zero drop shoes seem to be the key for me. Now if I could just sort out my hip/glute issue!

Last week I canceled my Burn Bootcamp membership. I haven't been to it since March and $100/month for streaming is insane. They don't wear masks, one of the instructors recently had COVID, and the vibe was starting to get to me. Is there such a thing as being overly positive?

Anyway, now I'm trying to come up with some sort of plan. This week is just alternating Peloton Bootcamp with cardio. Yesterday was bootcamp, today Les Mills plus Peloton chest/back. I am also trying to get in some weekend hikes, but it's under 40 degrees in the morning and I am not excited about hiking in that!

Oh, and our Thanksgiving was just us. We were supposed to go to the neighbor's but on Tuesday she was diagnosed with COVID! DH worked that evening, so we ate our meal at our normal dinnertime and then he left.

Yay for the last month of 2020!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 11:53 AM  
Vantreesta

Oh, I guess technically we were gonna start a winter thread for December but let's just finish out the year on this one and start over with a positive outlook on 1/1/21!!

I'll be back later.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 12-01-20, 02:36 PM  
Vantreesta

Today's workouts
40 minutes (from SIJ reset + PT exercises for pelvic stability & glute strength) T-AM
8 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong Challenge day 11) T-AM
16 minutes (from TurboJam Burn) T-AM
20 minutes (from Urban Rebounding Latin Bound) T-AM
45 minutes (from XTrain Bis & Tris) T-PM 1st time

I have decided the only way to get in what I want is to do Rowvember every other day. I can't get in the rebounder and kickboxing or dance on the same days I row, it's just too much with doing Cathe too. But that's okay! Now I just have to schedule it all the right way so I'm not starving before I finish everything and so I can fit in yoga!

Old 12-01-20, 03:30 PM  
Vantreesta

I just looked up how long it takes people to row 2000m. Based on what I saw, with 7 minutes being pretty good, my meter is either not even in the right ballpark or I'm reading it wrong bc in my 20 min workout yesterday it looked like I only went 2.7 m.

Old 12-01-20, 04:47 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannie
Oh, I guess technically we were gonna start a winter thread for December but let's just finish out the year on this one and start over with a positive outlook on 1/1/21!!
Oh I didn't realize, but I like the idea of keeping 2020 from leaking into 2021. Let's just put this year out of its misery. I feel better days coming.

Vannie - Rowing every other day is a good plan. Hydrow has training camp programs and they're usually just 4 days a week. I've been rowing almost every day but it's probably counter productive and I should scale back. I just like rowing so much that it's hard to do, especially when I look forward to the scenery so much.

More Vannie == regarding your 2000 meter time. Someone told me a long time ago that your average 2000 meter row time is roughly equivalent to your average pace for running a mile. I just did the calculations and that seems to be true for me -- I'm running between 11 and 11:20 minute miles and rowing about 2:45-2:50/500 meters -- and that's almost exactly equivalent. That is wild!

Pratima - I'm so glad you're feeling better. I bet you're right and total rest made the difference. I'm sure you needed it with your long hours and busy lifestyle. My colds usually drag on forever when I keep working out, but this year is different because I go into a panic when I get even a sniffle.

Zero/minimal drop shoes (Altras, etc.) - I cannot run in them but they feel great for everything else. I started wearing Reebok Nano's and wish I'd started using them for cross-training a decade ago. I feel much more stable and strong. (Also they remind me of my original Reebok Princess days in the '80s!)

Orthotics- Nope, not me. But I did start wearing OTC inserts (Currex brand) in my running shoes two years ago because my metatarsal arches had collapsed. They've been awesome but I don't really consider them orthotics. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 12-01-20, 04:50 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Daphne, I JUST ordered my first pair of Reebok Nanos this morning! They're 50% off on the site.

I didn't realize it was the "fall 2020" thread when I posted, but I agree, let's use this for another month and then say goodbye to the year!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 04:52 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Daphne, I JUST ordered my first pair of Reebok Nanos this morning! They're 50% off on the site.
TWINSIES! Let me know how you like them. Mine are white and hot pink - just like the original Princesses. I am so dorky.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 12-01-20, 04:59 PM  
Vantreesta

Agreed, 2020 needs to end and not sully up 2021!!

Daphne, that's interesting about your 2000 m rowing time being roughly equivalent to one mile run time. I have to look at the manual again but if that distance really said 2.7 m for a 20 minute workout I am seriously annoyed. What is the point of an inaccurate meter?? Of course, I could argue the same for a meter without spm. Sigh.

Pratima, good job listening to your body and taking a break to get over being sick. That can be hard to do! I like Perfect 30 but the upper body felt a little fast to me. I sup6i could hit pause to get ready for the next exercise but nah. It helps to know ahead of time what you need, for sure.

Alison, you're making good progress with your running and weight loss goals. And way to go with Body Beast! Keep it up!

So tell me about Reebok Nanos! I love my Altras but I don't love how fast the tread wears down.

I had a pair of custom orthotic once and hated them. Total waste of money for me. I use Dr Scholl's insoles in pretty much everything but my Altras.