Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-01-20, 08:08 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Friends in Fitness - July 2020

Newcomers welcome!! Join us!

Whatever you do for fitness, walking, running, stepping, dancing, yoga, weights, pilates, kettle bells, swimming, biking, etc., come join us and we will try to encourage, inspire, support, and motivate you to achieve your goals!!

Happy and Healthy July to all!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 08:11 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

I copied my post from last month's thread below so no one misses my scintillating check-in

Yesterday I did a 73 minute walk and that was it. It was a longer walk than planned. The street I take to get back to my neighborhood was blocked off with huge trucks cutting down tree branches so I had to backtrack several blocks and take a different route home. My feet were hurting a little, I think it's time for new sneakers if anyone has any suggestions. I've been using the Nike cloudfoam something or other which I like but I need more cushioning I think. I've been putting a lot of miles on those puppies lately.

TERRI, nice job on the walking and yard work. Ouch. Margaret is so non-dread for me. Glad I was able to encourage you. Yes I love that waist slimmer segment, I do feel it hits that area very well. It's only 10 minutes so easy to tack on when I remember.

PENGUIN, nice workout. I'm really sorry you're dealing with the fireworks for so long. I guess the police can't stop it?

NORA, very nice workouts. Have your kids been to visit yet?

I'm going to start the July thread now!!! ETA -- DONE!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-02-20, 07:32 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I did a 62 minute walk with DS in the morning and then we did P90x back and biceps and Ab Ripper. I have never done P90x or had any desire to do P90x but DS is staying with us this month while his gf is away on a school project. He and his gf had been doing P90x before she left so I told him I would do it with him while he's staying with us. I'm only going to do the weight workouts I think. I have no interest in the 90 minute yoga workout or plyo workout. We'll see how long I last. It was fun working out with someone else though, it kept me going when I'm pretty sure I would have stopped sooner.
Today I am planning a walk and maybe some pilates.

PENGUIN, good luck with finding some fun weight workouts on youtube.
And also with the fireworks situation. Ugh.

Waves to all. Stay well everyone!!
Old 07-02-20, 12:59 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

SB I did P90X back when it first came out, and never did like Tony's yoga, always subbed another yoga dvd. His plyo I modified. I did love the weight work though, and have told myself over and over I'd do it again someday. I have the P90X Masters, and might be able to do that, if I can get my lazy booty in gear!

I've done 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning, after weeding, watering, and tomato picking in the back. The heat is really doing a number on everything, but I am still getting some tomatoes and swiss chard. The darn creatures have eaten most of the figs! Squirrels or birds, so not scary creatures, but still!

I read a thread on GD about a self care challenge, and I'm going to aim for more of that. I need to drink more water, for one thing. I used to keep a big glass of water nearby all day, but my current cat never outgrew the need to look inside and drink some, then turn it over, so... I even bought a big insulated mug with a lid, and that just added the challenge of getting it open, and did not stop him. I love the heck out of that nut. He is good for a nice cuddle in the morning when he decides it's time for me to get up and feed him

Happy July to everybody!

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 03:51 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Today I tried Body Project workout. This is a mix of hiit and weight circuits {my favorite}. The male instructor is a bit annoying, he never shuts up but most of what he says is a pep talk. I'd rather he tell me what exercise we were going to do next, before we start it, than telling me that ' you've got this". He's okay, but the workout is tougher than anything I've done recently so that's a nice change. I added BP to the list on one of my weights days.

Hubby got a raise already. He's having trouble with a few on his students not wanting to do the work plus sleeping in class. If these were 12 year olds I'd say 'wake them up' but these are adults, most paying for this class themselves and if they want to throw this opportunity away that's their decision. Most of them are working full time jobs along with going to school but that's how Hubby got his license 30 years ago and he didn't have the advantage of study guides, laptops and a search engine .Hubby was supposed to get tomorrow off for the 4th but one of the students couldn't be bothered to come to class so now they have a makeup day. Really not endearing themselves to me. You can tell who's side I'm on, can't you?

Terri, we've had to move our tomatoes to the shade because they were wilting in the pots. We've gotten 4 tomatoes so far. This is actually impressive for us, usually out tomatoes don't do well. I've created a sandwich called the BBT, Bacon, Basil and tomato. We have lots of basil! Pets can be hysterical and drive us crazy at the same time. I leave a small towel on the floor near Cindy's bowl because she always drips water on the floor. Its become automatic to clean it up when I step in it. Silly doggie

SB, When I did P90x I did the weight workouts and then Leslie for the cardio. It worked for me. I hear you on 90min of yoga. Especially 90 minutes of Tony and yoga.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 08:12 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I did a 48 minute walk in the morning and that was it. We got into the mid 90s yesterday and with the humidity I was done. I actually read a little bit, I haven't done that in quite some time. So DS and I are going on our walk soon and then it's P90x back and legs today. I can't believe we're doing back again! DS uses the pull-up bar but I just use bands or even dumbbells. I'm scared of legs. Not a fan of a ton of squats and lunges but I'll get through it.

TERRI, nice walking and gardening. We don't get tomatoes for another month here and I can't wait. They're the best! The P90x Masters sounds more my speed too. I've been reading that self care thread and I really don't do much of any self care except my daily walking. Awww your cat sounds like he's making the drinking water a challenge

PENGUIN, nice workout. Good for hubby on the raise. No news from Fedex? Wow that student making everyone have class today would certainly not endear him to anyone I would think! I didn't realize I was among so many P90x grads! Nice. That BBT sounds amazing!! We have the basil already I just need to wait for the tomatoes! Remind me about this next month

Waves to all. Have a great 4th of July weekend!

Old 07-03-20, 10:56 AM  
patchworkpenguin

SB, Hubby says FedEx is still on the table. They send out job offers by letter?! Its just Hubby and 'the kid' today, hopefully it will just be a few more hours

since Hubby is supposed to be home early and my parents said they would drop by I got my workout in early. Dad is replacing the flooring in their bathroom with faux hardwood and wants his nail gun back.

Today I started 3 workouts but only did the 4th. The first had bad lighting and although she was miked there was no instruction for a dance workout. I got though the warmup and gave up. The second seemed better but she wasn't miked and I couldn't hear her over the music. The third I really didn't like her voice and the workout seemed to hard. So I ended up doing Paul Eugene's Solid Gold Aerobics Dance workout. Apparently, I can only follow a dance workout if its for seniors :P. I can live with that. Paul is a hoot and just fun to dance with.

Have a safe and happy 4th!

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 02:11 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Happy 4th to all of you!

Today, I did a 50 minute walk.
Yesterday: Radio Hits - Lesley S
Day Before: Step Sensation Robert Steinb...something and LB from Cathe Muscle Max

Well, count me in as another P90X alumnus. I've done it a couple of times, but the last was the "halfsie" version. I would always stick with that now. P90X legs is not bad at all, SB. As I recall, he barely uses the weights in that workout.

PP - you're still hitting a lot of variety with those workouts! My tomato plants are doing better than usual too. I've never been too successful with them. Maybe this year....

Terri - I'll have to check out that self-care thread.

SB - My son has been up. Now, I let him stay when I'm here as Covid has calmed down quite a bit here. As for DD, last week that thing in the white house passed a rule on people with her visa that if they leave, there could be trouble getting back. She's in discussions with the immigration lawyer to see how that would effect her. She wants out of NYC so badly right now, for a break. A building where she does her groceries just collapsed the other day. That was kinda the last straw! She needs to get to the cottage for some respite care!
Old 07-04-20, 08:01 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday DS and I did a 64 minute walk in the morning and P90x back and legs. It was so humid I was really dragging but I did it. I passed on Ab Ripper though. 2 hours of working out was enough for me. We're planning to walk soon and today is Kenpo X. I'll give it a shot.

PENGUIN, glad you finally found a fun dance workout. I hope hubby got home early and you enjoyed time with your parents.

NORA, good job with your workouts. Wow I'm the only weenie who never did P90x? You were right, the legs workout wasn't bad at all. I have some nice glute DOMS today too. I keep forgetting your DD has the visa issues. Ugh. I hope she can get it resolved with the lawyer, she definitely needs the respite!!

Waves to all! Happy 4th of July!
Old 07-04-20, 12:50 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Happy 4th to everybody from me, too!

The virus is terrible here in Texas, our governor forced reopening too quickly, too many people won't wear masks, & I live in Galveston, so half of Houston comes down here on the weekends and spreads germs. They did close the beaches for this weekend, so maybe some restaurant and grocery store workers will be spared. Enough of that!

SB, glute DOMS, I remember that I used to love to feel DOMS anywhere, cause it made me feel like I was getting stronger. Not much of that lately.

Penguin, I cannot keep up with most dance workouts, but would like to be able to. Maybe a seniors one is where I should look. The sandwich does sound good, I didn't plant basil this time though, maybe in the fall. Hopefully I can baby the tomato plants thru the heat.

Nora, sorry your daughter is having troubles, I wouldn't want to be in New York now, either.

My workouts = laundry and housework, plus 42 minutes so far on the treadmill. Probably do another 10 or 20 later, after I eat again.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote