Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-20, 03:50 PM  
adrien_73

Concept 2 Ski Erg?

Hi!

I would love to hear people's thoughts on the Concept 2 Ski Erg. I have had their rower forever and it is a great & durable pieces of equipment. I have a calf injury and thought this would be great for cardio. TIA for any info you can give!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 08:19 PM  
Jeanne Marie

We use the Concept 2 Ski Erg every day in my HIIT circuit class. I love it! There is so much you can do to make it more than just cardio.... chest, back, triceps, legs, all can be incorporated. But even if you just use it for cardio, it's awesome!
Old 06-17-20, 08:17 AM  
adrien_73

Thank you Jeanne! I just put my name on the "waiting list" to get one!
Old 06-17-20, 12:24 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73 View Post
Thank you Jeanne! I just put my name on the "waiting list" to get one!
That's great! I wouldn't mind having one in my home gym! Let me know how you like it!
Old 06-17-20, 01:02 PM  
Daphne M

My personal trainer has had me use the one at our gym 4 or 5 times. I only used it for intervals of 45 seconds- 1 minute and those times it was very effective cardio with a strength conditioning component. I felt it in my arms, lats and core. It's great for intervals, but I think you'd have to really train to be able to use it for longer periods.

I hope you'll let us know how you like it and use it once it arrives, adrien_73.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 09:52 PM  
InstantBlue

A ski erg can be great for that, but with the best form, you would still rise up on your toes for each stroke. You can modify by kneeling when using it, so you can still hinge at your hips to get more power from each pull, without any calf strain at all. You can also do it sitting, but you'll lose more power because your hips won't be able to hinge as much, either.

If you have a rower, you can use something like a skateboard to prop your bad leg on to roll back and forth, and just row one-legged. I did that for about two months when I had a torn achilles!
InstantBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 09:48 AM  
adrien_73

You bring up a very good point, InstantBlue. Also, I am not sure I can use this in my fitness room because my neighbors' bedroom is right next to it. I'm afraid the "swooshing" noise would bother them...especially since I exercise at 3:30 AM!

I thought about putting it in my garage but the ceiling is not high enough.
Old 06-26-20, 02:51 PM  
InstantBlue

adrien_73, I'd probably just stick with the rower, especially if you can modify with the skateboard thing. They are so similar, but the rower is more compact and easily stored, since you can "break' it in half. I have a rower at home and it's honestly one of the best pieces of equipment for cardio. If you are interested in something else good for cardio, an assault bike or echo bike might be a good option - but they can also make loud wooshing noises. The echo bike is quieter than the assault bike. If you have one of those boot things on your calf, you can definitely bike safely.
InstantBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 05:03 PM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantBlue View Post
The echo bike is quieter than the assault bike. If you have one of those boot things on your calf, you can definitely bike safely.
It's funny that you mention these...because I have been coveting both...and the bike erg...even before my injury! I have an old spin bike so I had a hard time justifying the purchase. But now I'm inured and need variety!

Tags
concept 2, concept 2 ski erg