Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-20, 11:07 AM  
sherry7899

Has anyone been spending more on food lately?

I feel like we have been spending more on groceries since mid-March. We don't eat out a lot (or order in) so it is not like we are making up for that. I mainly cook/bake from scratch most of the time. I guess I am buying a few extra of things when I see them since I'm worried about running out of things or wanted to go to the store less often. Our local grocery stores have a limit now on packages of chicken. They still seem fairly well stocked, but I picked up a few packages to freeze just in case. We don't eat beef, so I have not noticed if there is a shortage of it near me.

Unfortunately with more time at home I have been baking more. I resolved after Mother's Day to cut back on that. I find baking/cooking to be a stress reliever, and I love making cookies/bread etc. I am trying to keep up with exercise so I don't regret this later! I don't expect to lose weight at this time, but I"d like to maintain at least....

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 11:32 AM  
alisoncooks

Yes, my goodness! I usually order groceries online and keep it <$120/week. But with the online service slammed packed, I've been having to actually shop in person. (Ugh! LOL) Last week my groceries were $100+ ABOVE my normal. Granted, I'm doing more impulse purchasing (oh, they have plenty of eggs -- I'll get extra...that sort). And I'm having to modify my grocery list on the fly. But I'm also not able to buy some of my normal, cheaper brands (instead, i have to get what's available...which is sometimes pricier).

Anyway, all that to agree with you.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 11:37 AM  
laurajhawk

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure we are spending LESS, even though I sometimes have to buy more expensive brands. I am trying hard to shop only once a week, which means more creativity about using what we have, and less waste.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 11:39 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Alison! It's good not to feel alone. Yes, some usual brands of things are out and I've had to get others that cost more. I am thankful that I can find most of what I need. Oddly, I could not find dried peas for weeks. My husband loves split pea soup (he is the only one here who eats it!). I finally found some this week, so I will be making him soup soon.

I noticed there are less things on sale here also. That has made a big difference. I really want to get a whole chicken to roast, but they have not been on sale in weeks, and I am not spending $11.00 for one! (I like the Perdue one that comes seasoned in a bag). I miss getting the $4.99 rotisserie chicken at BJ's! I think they may have stopped selling them for now. Even if they haven't, I don't feel comfortable buying them now anyway.

Sherry

Old 05-07-20, 11:40 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure we are spending LESS, even though I sometimes have to buy more expensive brands. I am trying hard to shop only once a week, which means more creativity about using what we have, and less waste.
You are being smart! I need to adapt to doing that. We do keep a good amount of food on hand. I really need to just restock mainly produce, milk and bread.

Sherry

Old 05-07-20, 11:41 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Definitely spending much more. We're not buying more it's just that the prices are higher across the board. Shop Rite doesn't have many sales anymore, everything is top dollar.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 11:51 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Definitely spending much more. We're not buying more it's just that the prices are higher across the board. Shop Rite doesn't have many sales anymore, everything is top dollar.
Yes, we're finding that prices are higher and I'm not willing to shop at several stores to get the cheapest price on things. I also panic about things going out of stock so I purchase more than I need when I find items that have been missing or low stock. Shopping has become so stressful.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 12:00 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm spending more at the organic co-op. I usually only go there to see what's on sale and what's reasonably priced in produce but now I'm buying most of my produce there and paying the organic price tag. They're always stocked to the rafters with fruits and veggies, and lots of it comes from east coast and local farms.

I was also struggling to find gluten free foods in the regular supermarket but have given up. The organic co-op is keeping gluten free regularly stocked, but they're niche brands and again, I'm paying a niche price tag.

I draw the line at bamboo toilet paper though!
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 12:24 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Summer Breeze- thank you for responding. We thought it was our imagination that Shop Rite has become more expensive! I admit to not liking many of their own brand items, so I have been buying more name brands and less items are on sale. We normally buy a lot of Wegmans own brand items which are great and low priced, but we are avoiding that store for now (crowds).

Old 05-07-20, 12:27 PM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Shopping has become so stressful.

Erica
Sadly, this. When I find stuff I purchase more but then the next week I need less. I think I'm spending about the same.

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19