Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-04-20, 08:10 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Moms of school-aged kids and tweenagers, May 2020

Pratima.... I am so sorry to hear about your job. Wow, what a blow. Do you feel like the grounds are justified at all, or does it seem like an excuse? Were you at all aware that people were unhappy? I'm glad you were able to run out your frustration a bit. I am really sorry.

I do expect there should be jobs in your field, at least! I wonder how long this distance learning is going to last... The IT superintendent of our district was fired over the whole Blackboard fiasco. I don't know him, but some of my neighbors didn't feel he should have been fired. It seems like someone needed to be held accountable for what happened. I'm not sure he was the right person... seems like many people dropped the ball. He might have been a scapegoat.

What do you think you'll decide about resigning now that you've had the weekend to mull it over?

Tonya, I love seeing your creations on IG! And yes, I do envy your posing skills! Now that I'm into interiors, I am considering getting a simple sewing machine. I'd like to be able to at least hem curtains or make pillow covers. I told DH this and of course, he starts researching sewing machines. He loves any machine. He's looking at extremely sophisticated machines with all kids of capabilities. This is always our struggle--he likes VERY complicated stuff. I like VERY simple stuff. I actually think he would be good at sewing--better than I--but I think in reality I would be the one using it and I want simple! Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

I did a Physique 57 this morning, and yesterday, too. I'm modifying the living daylights out of all my workouts. I've decided I'd rather do something low-key everyday, than do a lot and be so out of whack that I can't workout for a week. I'm also fasting today because I have a physical tomorrow morning and I know they'll want to do bloodwork.

I hope you are having a good day--despite the circumstances!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 11:29 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Hi Friends, no workout today. I did go for a walk by myself. I had kind of an off day yesterday and needed some time to myself. I also had a physical and went to the garden center to buy some plants. Did me a world of good to get out alone!

Hope all are well!
Old 05-05-20, 04:45 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Stephanie, honestly I don't feel like it's justified. While I don't disagree that someone may have complained about me, I think them just letting me go after so many years is ridiculous. Online is currently their only real avenue of earning money and without me it wouldn't exist. I'm honestly surprised at the way they've treated me. I do feel like the company has changed--the CEO took over when the original owners retired a few years ago, and this new director who started last year has always seemed phony to me.

Anyway, while I kind of want it all to just go away, it just isn't and seems to be weighing on me more every day. I am definitely not used to not working. And in this day and age, I can't really get away or make the most of these days off. Initially I wanted to get my resume all set and start applying and stuff, but I've really lost steam.

I did start getting the kids at up 7:30 (that's when their alarms have been set for all through quarantine) and going for a mile walk. We were initially doing that in the evening but it's gotten too hot even after dark. Sadly we'll probably have to get up even earlier soon.

My kids are supposed to have school through 5/15 I believe. No idea what we'll do after that!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 09:48 PM  
TonyaK

Hi friends,

I just got caught up. Pratima, I'm so sorry and mad to hear about your job! Ugh, I hope you will find something else that you love! I know you've been less than thrilled there for a while, but I hoped you'd leave on your own terms, when you were ready. Sending virtual hugs!

Stephanie, how exciting that you want to sew! It seems like a lot of machines are sold out right now, because people are making masks and scrubs. I've been pretty happy with the machines I've used, which are not very fancy. I used to use a Singer that was probably around $150 and now I have a Janome HD3000, which was $350. My mom has a quilting sewing machine that was like $1200. It's really nice, but I don't need all the features.

I think you will probably want to have at least a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch (there are industrial machines that only do straight, and there are embroidery machines with dozens of fancy stitches). Mine has 18 stitch settings, including making buttonholes. I think that is a great middle ground. If it comes with at least a few different feet, that will be helpful, too. It's nice to have a zipper foot, which you might use for making pillows and cushions.

Singer, Janome, Brother, Viking, Pfaff, Bernina, and Juki are all good, reputable brands. If sewing stores open in your area soon, you could go in and actually try some out. Feel free to ask me any questions!

I haven't been doing perfectly with my Spa Month, but I have kept the spirit alive I will spend an extra 30 seconds to do a scalp massage when I'm shampooing, or go to sleep a little earlier instead of staying up late. I will keep trying to make better habits, and this definitely isn't hurting!

Happy Mother's Day to you both! I hope you had a nice day and felt appreciated.
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 10:25 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Hi Friends, I haven't been working out. My mother had a stroke on Saturday morning. She's been in the ICU ever since. She's stable, but non-responsive. It's awful, because we can't visit her or even call the room. This morning we were able to talk to her for a minute, the nurse said she could see her eyes moving (her eyes were closed, but she could still see them moving.) We're just waiting to see what pans out. She's not going to be able to come home, at least, not for a long time. I guess eventually she'll move to a rehab facility. The doctor said she has significant neurological impairment. Sometimes I wonder if we'll ever see her again? It's all very distressing...
Old 05-12-20, 11:59 AM  
TonyaK

Oh Stephanie, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom! What a horrible situation, and then to pile on that you can't even visit her. Sending lots of virtual hugs and good wishes. I hope you are able to take good care of yourself during this extremely difficult time!
Old 05-12-20, 12:41 PM  
mbramer

Happy belated Mother's Day, ladies!

Stephanie, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Also sending virtual hugs and good wishes. Take care of yourself! In terms of sewing machines, I have a Janome 3000, and I am very happy with it. My sewing skills are super basic--I'm no Tonya.

Pratima, I'm so sorry about your job. I can't believe they would do that to you. I understand what you mean about losing steam in applying for jobs. I feel the same way.

Tonya, I like the idea of Spa Month! It's such a good idea to pamper yourself every day, even if it's only for 30 seconds.

I've been using the pre-programmed workouts on my treadmill quite a bit. I'm glad I did the research and invested in it. I've also been adding some kettlebell moves at the end of my walks. I feel really strong when I do one armed swings and snatches.

I think there will be more to report later this week or next week, and I'm trying to finish up grading this semester. But since Stephanie said I should come back, I wanted to come back. Stephanie is always right.
Old 05-12-20, 10:39 PM  
TonyaK

Hi Marilea! It's so nice to see you here!

I hope you had a nice Mother's Day.
How great that you have some exercise that you are loving! I used to really enjoy kettlebells. I'm still trying to get the workout habit back.
Good luck with grading!
Do you think you might end up moving for your next job, or is it too soon to predict?
Old 05-13-20, 06:02 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

mbramer I'm so glad to see you here! Working out or not, you should definitely check in.

Stephanie, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Is she in a hospital nearby? Any updates?

TonyaK, I like the idea of the spa minute. More than that is almost too much pressure. I did give myself a nice little facial yesterday, complete with mask and scrub.

The governor of AZ decided yesterday to let the "stay at home" order expire Friday. Salons and restaurants had already started opening up as they were allowed to after 4/30. Now gyms and public pools can too! I'm not planning to do anything differently.

The big thing is that DD's gym is opening up and of course she REALLY wants to go back to gymnastics. I'm very wary and yet know we can't live like this forever. I can't decide what to do and it was literally keeping me up last night.

I finally got my resume together and applied for one position today and it took forever. I had to upload resume and cover letter and then go through page after page of information. Fortunately some of it auto-filled from the resume! And this was only a contract position. Ugh.

I did talk to an attorney and he said the agreement I have is decent. He did suggest I talked to a colleague of his about my employee stock so I'll do that next and then hopefully get this all sorted out. I also applied for unemployment. Benefits are currently pretty high here--up to $840/week, so hopefully i can get that for a little while.

I should be kicking up my workouts but the heat is making that tough! I am getting the kids up at 7:30 and we're walking at least a mile 5 days a week. I had stopped because it was too hot to go in the evening and I couldn't do morning because I was working. I'm still using the Peloton app and doing Burn Bootcamp streaming workouts.

Bootcamp and EOS (my gym) are both opening next week. I'm going to keep my EOS account frozen and stick with the streaming Burn workouts for now.

Ugh, it's all so stressful, isn't it? I'm so glad to "see" all of you here though! It helps! One day we'll all get to meet in person.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 10:32 PM  
TonyaK

Hi friends!

Today I finally moved on to the second month of STS: Hypertrophy (building muscle size). I LOVED it! I am so pumped, physically and mentally. The first month was about endurance, and it was so many reps and so much equipment, I had some dread about the workouts. This month is really straightforward lifting, with heavy weights, and 12, 10, and 8 reps. It felt so good. I felt so strong. I will be so sore and whimpery tomorrow! I bet it won't take me 4 months to finish this set of workouts!

My bad news is that DH hurt his knee badly last night. He went out skateboarding, landed wrong, and pulled or tore something in his knee. He had to sit on his skateboard and scoot to the car! He thought about going to the ER last night, but he couldn't tell from the parking lot if it was busy inside or not (because it was at the hospital and people are there for all kinds of reasons, not just the ER). Since he could barely limp around, he didn't want to risk going in and then discovering a super long wait or a room full of really sick people waiting.
Today he went to Urgent Care, with an appointment, but still had to wait 75 extra minutes to be seen. They took an X-ray and determined that he hadn't broken a bone, sold him crutches and a brace (yay, because most of our local stores are sold out of crutches), and told him to see an orthopedist. He made an appointment... for next Monday! to get an MRI. I hope he won't need surgery, but who knows?

Pratima, I love calling it "The Spa Minute" !! I could keep that going for my whole life, I think
Great job talking to an attorney, updating your resume, and applying for a job! It takes a ton of energy to do all those things. I'm impressed!
I don't know what I would do about gymnastics. I think I'm too worried to do something like that yet, but then I go back and forth every day. I feel super lucky that my family doesn't have to work at essential jobs and that we can do grocery pickup and order things online. What a crazy time!

Hello to Stephanie and Mbramer!
Like Pratima, I hope we can all get together when social distancing is over! It would be so fun to meet up and have a weekend together or something

I hope there have been some bright spots for everyone today, and that there will be many more tomorrow. Hang in there, my friends. Hugs to all!