Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-20, 07:59 AM  
sherry7899

Exercise in regular television shows

I am watching the show "One Day at a Time" streaming on Pluto tv, and noticed the character Ann is often exercising. She has referenced jogging, was shown doing yoga several times (of course Schneider walks in on her!) and she even had a rectangular mini trampoline she used a few times.

There is also an episode of ER where Susan and Carter take a yoga class, which was comical. Carter kept cursing out the instructor (well, with clean language!)

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 08:22 AM  
wendug

On Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, there's an episode where 2 of the main characters are doing a vintage Denise Austin workout. If you haven't seen the show, it is definitely unique with characters spontaneously breaking into song and dance. I'm not usually a fan of musical fare, but I like Lauren Graham and decided to tune in for her.
Old 04-25-20, 08:55 AM  
dfrank

I was watching an episode of Private Practice this week and Amelia has moved into her own apartment and is telling her AA group about how she has taken up exercise. She is shown watching an exercise video while sitting on the couch and eating. I rewatched the scene twice trying to figure out which video it is, but I can’t recognize it.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 09:44 AM  
LAC

There was an episode of Reba where she left an exercise video in the vcr and Van finds it and works out with it I can't remember for sure, but I think it was an actual Jane Fonda workout tape.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 09:46 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

The vintage workout class scenes in Marvelous Mrs. Maisel are hysterical!
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 09:58 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post
The vintage workout class scenes in Marvelous Mrs. Maisel are hysterical!
Omg yes, they are! I forgot about those!
Old 04-25-20, 10:13 AM  
Ilde

On Call the Midwife, Nurse Franklin is teaching fitness classes early 60's style.
And on Young Sheldeon his Memaw is exercising to Rischard Simmons tapes. Great fun to see!
Ilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 10:21 AM  
Vantreesta

On Mom there is an episode where Marjorie is using her Jazzercise tape. I don't remember if they show the TV at all or just talk about it and show Marjorie doing it.

One episode of Criminal Minds shows a woman doing step in her bedroom, and I think that does show the TV, but if I recognized the workout I don't remember what it was.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 10:27 AM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
There was an episode of Reba where she left an exercise video in the vcr and Van finds it and works out with it I can't remember for sure, but I think it was an actual Jane Fonda workout tape.
I love that scene! Van is so darn funny and he cracks me up with his headband and leg warmers!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 10:36 AM  
Mickey12

I can’t remember any scenes from TV of people exercising, but I remember it from movies and it usually annoys me because they portray it incorrectly in some sort of way. Last night I watched “The Grudematch”, an older movie with Robert Deniro and Sylvester Stallone. They went to someplace like a YMCA and they were in the pool area and they were people doing yoga along the side of the pool. It seemed so ridiculous, everyone crowded into the same area, all the moisture from people getting out of the pool with yoga mats right there.

I also watched “Spanglish” with Adam Sandler and Tea Leoni. There was a scene with her doing a perfect yoga pose, I don’t know the name of it but it was hard and quite impressive. She was balancing on her hands with her knee wrapped around her arm, I think, and her legs off the ground out to the side.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home exercisers in movies, home exercisers in tv