Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-20, 04:12 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Another advantage of exercising at home

I am not being a coronavirus alarmist or anything but one advantage of having a home exercise routine is being able to work out while avoiding exposure to disease. Just thought of that when I was deciding whether to go to the gym the other day. I took a several month hiatus from the gym and only recently started going back but am now glad I can just do my thing at home if necessary.

I heard stories of Costco being swamped with people stocking up(a friend told me it was like Christmas eve there the other day) and I thought "how ridiculous" However I did a quick assessment and my freezer is stocked with chicken, fish, bread, rice, flour, ice cream etc. and the only thing "missing" was veggies because I usually eat fresh. I purchased 3 bags of string beans and 1 of carrots during my normal shopping trip just in case. But I am not going crazy.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 04:15 PM  
sherry7899

We went to Wegmans last night and almost all the bottled water was gone. Most of the pasta aisle was bare as well . They were low on paper towels and toilet paper. People must be stocking up.

I am very glad to exercise at home.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 04:21 PM  
prettyinpink

I don’t understand the bottled water thing. Will Coronavirus cause the water and electricity to be shut off?
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 04:28 PM  
Taiga

I think people are stocking up to avoid having to go out (potential exposure) should things take a turn for the worse.

ETA: And there could be CoronaZombie Apocalypse
Old 03-05-20, 04:39 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Went to do normal grocery shopping today and many shelves bare at our grocery store, and we don't even have a case in Michigan yet. No hand sanitizer on shelves, not even hand soap. Even the trial size hand sanitizers were gone. None on Amazon either.

One of the store employees said the hand sanitizers were gone last weekend, and that if we get mandatory quarantines to make sure to have two weeks worth of food on hand since they'd have to close the grocery store. I left with two weeks worth of essentials after that conversation.

The Orange Theory next door to the grocery store was bare. So glad I can work out at home and not even worry about who else is touching my mat!
Lori_Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 04:44 PM  
prettyinpink

I wonder, though, will groceries actually be closed (for those who live in North America)? Those employees seem to never get a break for things like that. Terrible storms, power outages, they still are expected to show up.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 06:20 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I don’t understand the bottled water thing. Will Coronavirus cause the water and electricity to be shut off?
I was wondering the same thing. WTH.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 06:32 PM  
furmomof6

I was just talking about this in my check-in. I'm in NY and there's no hand sanitizer to be found anywhere, along with rubbing alcohol. The bottled water shelves were looking kind of empty today too. My sister told me recently that Costco is putting a limit on the amount of water people can buy now. I'm not sure if that's true in all of them, or just here. I feel like stocking up now, not because I'm afraid of the virus, but because I need essentials like toilet paper!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 09:31 PM  
CharM

I read somewhere that Peloton and fitness apps are doing well with people taking precautions over the virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
My sister told me recently that Costco is putting a limit on the amount of water people can buy now. I'm not sure if that's true in all of them, or just here.
I don't shop at Costco, but I saw on Next Door that Costco here in San Jose is limiting 2 items per member on TP, wipes, water, sanitizer, bleach, and paper towels.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 10:01 AM  
ardnas

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Not everyone has access to clean safe drinking water. Older homes still use well water that may be contaminated, some cities still have lead pipes so people don't drink tap water, there are often water advisories where city water is unsafe to use (unless boiled), some get their drinking water from local springs and with the virus may not want to wait in long lines in close contact to get water, some may want bottled water to take to work/school/appts to avoid drinking fountains.

I also think people are scared of the unknown and want to be prepared. Some sources are recommending having a food & water supply for 6 weeks in case of mandatory in home quarantines, which have happened in other countries.

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, diy