Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-19, 02:58 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Increasing your walking speed

I'm reading the Prevention book called "Walk Your Butt Off" (ebook format, although it is available in HC) and is related to another book they published called "Run Your Butt Off".

I've just begun reading it, but in the intro, they tell you what their tool is - to increase your walking speed to 4 MPH or more and to work toward 6 walks/week. still need to read further to see what the durations are per session.

I found this handy BPM to MPH converter:
https://www.sportsrec.com/convert-mi...r-7908777.html

...which refers to 140 BPM as the equivalent of 4 MPH in general.

I found my old Shape Fitness CDs that have original artist songs edited so that they automatically blend in with the next song. the sleeves of the CDs show the BPM, so it was easy to pull them out and rip them to my player.

I think you could also pull out the old Cardio Coach workouts too for this effort.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 03:09 PM  
Demeris

What is it Phil Maffetone suggests about increasing speed? If I recall correctly, it's something about walking the same distance several times a week until you notice that you're completing that distance more quickly than you did at first.

I wonder how Maffetone's suggestions fit with the Prevention method.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 03:26 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
What is it Phil Maffetone suggests about increasing speed? If I recall correctly, it's something about walking the same distance several times a week until you notice that you're completing that distance more quickly than you did at first.

I wonder how Maffetone's suggestions fit with the Prevention method.
yes, that would be the same idea, and there are apps for it too and fitness trackers that do the same thing.

I was just wondering what the BPM would be so that if I was using an audio or video to work out to, what would 4 MPH feel like? granted, walking in place is not the same as walking outdoors, but getting used to the tempo was something I wanted to experience while the workout was going on so that I could stay on track.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 12-04-19, 10:46 AM  
marki64

You can walk my 85 lb Lab. She'll help increase your speed. I would love to go for a relaxing walk once in awhile. Rarely does that happen. I wonder how many calories I actually burn walking during the 2 mile adventure. Sometimes I just walk/jog so she doesn't pull so much. Ughh! And that's after my actual workout.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 10:06 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
...which refers to 140 BPM as the equivalent of 4 MPH in general.

I found my old Shape Fitness CDs that have original artist songs edited so that they automatically blend in with the next song. the sleeves of the CDs show the BPM, so it was easy to pull them out and rip them to my player.

I think you could also pull out the old Cardio Coach workouts too for this effort.
Jeannine, I found lots of playlists on Spotify with those bpm once I used that to search for walking.

But there's nothing like my Cardiocoach to make me move faster on cardio equipment.

Thanks for the conversion link, too.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 11:21 PM  
muddjeansgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
You can walk my 85 lb Lab. She'll help increase your speed. I would love to go for a relaxing walk once in awhile. Rarely does that happen. I wonder how many calories I actually burn walking during the 2 mile adventure. Sometimes I just walk/jog so she doesn't pull so much. Ughh! And that's after my actual workout.
Ha! My dog stops to sniff every few seconds. My walks take longer than should be
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 03:05 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddjeansgal View Post
Ha! My dog stops to sniff every few seconds. My walks take longer than should be
do you walk in place while he/she does that? i catch myself doing walking in place/side to side when i'm waiting for the walk signal when crossing the street!

Old 12-05-19, 05:34 AM  
Helen

>> Podrunner <<
These may be useful. Walking to the beat, and gradually increase the BPM.
Each 'song' tends to go for around an hour. Non-stop, fixed pace.

I use these when walking the dog - keeps my pace up so I don't slow down into a dawdle. When she (dog) stops to sniff, I let her, but walk around her in circles until she's ready to move again. It's HER walk as much as mine.

ETAHAH! I had hastily added the link & my comments, after reading just the OP. Went back to read the rest of the posts and totally BEAMED about others talking of dogs / sniffing etc...
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 10:21 AM  
BunnyHop

I guess I don't understand the 4 mph thing though.

On the treadmills I have access to, 4 miles an hour is far faster than I could manage. Definitely not a walking speed.

Anyone actually calculated their speed per mile when just out walking IRL and have some insight?

My own walking speed without a treadmill is too slow, that I know. Just not sure how to increase my speed without injuring myself. So far, my goal is just to be consistent with what I can manage, and gradually pushing my limits.
I can already tell I'm stronger than I was six months ago, so some progress has already been achieved.
Old 12-05-19, 10:40 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I guess I don't understand the 4 mph thing though.

On the treadmills I have access to, 4 miles an hour is far faster than I could manage. Definitely not a walking speed.

Anyone actually calculated their speed per mile when just out walking IRL and have some insight?
Anna, i walked outdoors yesterday with my high BPM songs playing. these were around 140 BPM. it was pretty fast, and i shaved off 4-5 minutes from the 1.1 mile* walk i did yesterday. it normally takes me around 20 min to do that same distance. therefore i was walking at 4 MPH.

i made my strides smaller to stay with the beat. i used to own a treadmill, and i understand what you mean since stride length adjustment may be awkward on the treadmill at first.

*i measured the distance using Google maps.

Tags
maffetone method, walking, walking speed