Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-19, 05:26 PM  
ardnas

Inversion Table questions

I recently bought an inversion table and just used it for the first time today. I have & use Spine-Worx, a lower back stretcher, and the Lo-Bak Trax, but am hoping the table will help with back pain, sciatica, scoliosis.

I had some questions for those who have an inversion table...

1. Is it best to use before or after exercise?
2. Can you over do it after you get used to inverting?
3. Do you do exercises while inverted?
4. Do you wear shoes while inverting?
5. Is it normal that after only using it for 1 minute or so today @ 15 degree angle and inverting & coming back up very slowly, my lower back hurts?

Thanks
Old 03-27-19, 06:34 AM  
suzannaerin

I have a table that I have used a year for my scoliosis. My PT said it could help my condition from getting worse and this years’s updated X-ray showed no progression in the curve, thank goodness

I do it for 10 minutes, twice a day. Once after working out and the second time before bed. I use it only for traction, muscle relaxation. Never for core work or anything like that.

Always wear shoes. Otherwise, you’re risking a disaster. Read the warnings, there are risks to inversion.

Be careful when you come out of inversion. I hold the handles, bend my knees to help get upright , and never use my back. I try to keep my back and neck flush with the board until I’m upright. Use your arms to pull yourself if you need help. Luckily, my table has a longer foot release handle so I don’t have to bend down much to free myself.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-19, 07:13 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Following. I want one so bad, both my chiro and spine doc recommended it. But they're huge!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-19, 07:17 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

My dh brought one home from Costco and we ended up returning it. For one thing, it's huge. My old school chiropractor doesn't like them (which surprised me). He feels like the human body isn't meant to hang upside down like that....and that the tables are hard on hips and knees. I think it you did just a 45* tilt or less it would be ok.

My back was sore after I used it. The good news is that returning to Costco is a breeze.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-19, 07:56 AM  
muggle

I'm following this thread too. My chiropractor said he liked them but to be cautious w/ them. What he did w/ my back could be done with the table. He was awesome but moved out of the state. So now I'm thinking of getting one again. I hope others chime in w/ their experiences.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-19, 08:41 AM  
marki64

My husband got one and he is so/so about it. He thought it helped a little bit.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-19, 09:28 AM  
starbelly

I have one and use it occasionally. I found it invaluable when I had a bulging disk and then again when I had sciatica. It is very large and bulky so it is stored in the attic. I would get rid of it except that I know it would be very useful if I have any further injuries. I invert regularly (yoga practice) so I don't feel strange after using it and probably spend 5-10 minutes on it several times a day when I want to decompress my spine.

I don't exercise on it and use it purely to relieve pressure on my spine. I do Qi Gong regularly and find that is very helpful for spinal mobility and relieving back pain. Essentrics is also great for building core strength and increasing flexibility.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-19, 11:42 AM  
warriorprincess

We've had one for years that both DH and I use sporadically. I use it mainly to decompress my spine. I never exercise on it. I rarely wear shoes but I only do it for a few minutes.

Sometimes I put a weight belt around my neck to provide some traction. I spent a fortune one year going to a retired ortho who had a computerized traction machine to help with neck issues I was having, so I thought I'd try to reproduce it. I'm sure any chiropractor who read that is cringing right now lol. But it seems to help. Sometimes I just hold the weights and it stretches my upper back in a lovely way.

I've never had my back hurt when coming up, but it doesn't sound surprising. Years ago when I was in a back brace from an injury, the only real relief I had was in the pool since my back wasn't supporting my weight. When I came out of the pool, the pull of gravity was harsh. The supporting muscles had relaxed, and it was always a unpleasant ordeal. And still worth it.

I've never had lower back problems. Just mid-back and neck. My DH has severe lower back problems, and when it's at its worse, he avoids the inversion table, feeling that it would be worse. You have to learn what's right for your body. We are all so unique.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-19, 04:49 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I have a Teeter Hangup EP-550 Inversion Table and I could never use it. Hanging upside down makes me dizzy. Hubby thought he'd use it for his bad back but it just gathers dust.

Anyone in the Spicer, MN area who would like my Teeter, I'm selling it CHEAP! Message me if interested.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-19, 08:13 PM  
Swissmom

I have a teeter and use it most days for about 10 minutes, I use a timer to keep track of the time. I always have my trainers on when I use it. I use it before I work out. I like mine. I would recommend the teeter brand and you can usually find used ones on craigslist. I purchased mine new years ago.
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inversion tables