Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-20, 08:55 AM  
adrien_73

Thank you all for the advice! I deactivated my Facebook page ages ago. I suppose I could re-activate it until I sell my items, but I feel like my life is so much happier since I cut the ties with FB!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 09:02 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I sold some things at Play It Again Sports. That was a good experience. I've sold and bought stuff on NextDoor. Those tend to be locals and you can control how big of a radius you post to.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 01:05 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
Unfortunately, Facebook Marketplace has taken over Craigs List as the most effective way to sell things. I say unfortunately since i do not have a Facebook account and nor do I want one!
I use craigslist since I'm not on facebook. I find it's still pretty good for selling many things but you have to either have A LOT of patience (to wait for the right buyer to come along) or be willing to unload things for really cheap.

There have been some items I've had no trouble getting good money for right away but many times, I have to keep hitting the "relist" link every week for MONTHS until the right buyer does a search and finds my specific item.

The craiglist scammers usually just seem to pop out of the woodwork when I haven't listed anything for months and then list something new. They think I'm "fresh meat" I guess. But they're easy enough to recognize as scammers and brush off. But as soon as they realize that you know all the scams, they stop bothering you. I also brush off the craigslisters with crazy low ball offers.

I've been doing craigslist for years though so I know the drill(s). I had one woman buy something from me recently (a pair of storage bins) and she gave me a whole bunch of friendly advice about how I would have better luck on nextdoor or facebook marketplace. (I'm on nextdoor but not facebook.) I just smiled and nodded. I'm kind of set in my ways now with craigslist and ebay. (Ebay I use for shipping some things if I can make a better profit there.) I only sell my own possessions and my mother's possessions. I don't buy and resell.

Also, in the time of Covid-19 in Illinois, we all wear masks and meet outside my house in the open air (I got one guy who drove from Wisconsin and he wore a mask too.) I'm always surprised at the lengths some craiglist people will drive for what they consider to be a good deal. Or maybe they like the sense of adventure? People often drive out from the city to the suburbs where I am for the stuff.

Speaking of craiglist in the time of Covid-19, one woman preferred to leave the cash under my doormat and then I retrieved the cash and put the item out on my doorstep and went back inside and then she picked up the item.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 04:58 PM  
adrien_73

Well...I reactivated my FB in hopes of getting rid of some stuff!

Question on the Marketplaces...there seems to be several listed. Do you use the generic FB marketplace listings, or join a local closed group? It seems like the local groups would be a safer bet, but you would get less visibility....?

I may list on VF Roost too, but I don't seem to come across many VFers from Rhode Island.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 05:01 PM  
alisoncooks

I joined a page specifically for my small town. I've sold several things that way.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 10:42 AM  
warriorprincess

I read an article this morning describing apps that are used for selling things. I haven't used any of these yet, but I wrote a few of the promising ones down:

Letgo
Mercari
5miles
Offerup

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 10:45 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I love the local groups on FB for large items that would be difficult to ship. It's worked well for us.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 12:05 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

When I list something I list on general FB marketplace and it also gives me the option to list in any of the local groups I belong to in my area. You have to send a request to join local groups and wait for the admin person to approve you. I’ve had very good luck selling this way. Fitness equipment is in high demand right now.

Not sure if there is a VarageSale group in your area, but I’ve also sold through them. It’s an app you put in your phone & you can request to join a local group.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 12:13 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I've had good luck with my local Facebook resale page.

Is the amount you're looking to sell for worth placing an ad in your local paper?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
selling