Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-20, 11:21 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

The mail sorting facility in my community had to be shut down for a while because of several cases of Covid so I'm sure there are delays. I think that's why things are so hit or miss.

I would allow for extra time in both sending and receiving.
Old 06-04-20, 06:00 AM  
Cher

I just went to the post office to mail a dvd in small square plastic case and Padded envelope. It was $4.00 to ship first class mail from MI to FL.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 07:18 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
The mail sorting facility in my community had to be shut down for a while because of several cases of Covid so I'm sure there are delays. I think that's why things are so hit or miss.

I would allow for extra time in both sending and receiving.
Oh yes, that would certainly make sense. I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 07:24 AM  
sherry7899

It is hard to estimate mailing costs now. They used to only charge by weight. Now they also charge more for further distance. The country is divided into zones, and the further away the zone, the more expensive it is to mail.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 07:38 AM  
owltx

This has been a very informative thread for me!

Do you guys know if you can only get the media mail route through USPS? I mailed out some DVDs earlier this year through trades/stw, etc. I have always gone to the UPS store because it's super close and I can walk across there from work. My post office is a trek. I have always used UPS in the past and had reasonable rates. Well this time I had a bunch of stuff to mail and just sent the DVDs and didn't really think about. Got home, and saw that each DVD was about $4.20 apiece to mail - and it specifically said on the receipt media mail. I thought rates had just raised and still didn't think too much about it until one of the stw exchange persons asked (extremely nicely, just wanting to make sure) about it. I felt terrible!! I did get a new person at UPS that day and chalked the whole thing up to that.

But does anyone know if you can request and get the regular media mail rate through UPS, or do they truly charge $2 extra per mailer now?
Old 06-04-20, 09:19 AM  
bubbles76

So many beautiful kitties (and one pup!) on this thread! I notice only because I want one of each

Back to business - I believe you can only get media mail postage through (1) going to the actual post office, as you cannot print media mail postage through USPS online or (2) through PayPal/eBay, though I have never tried it.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 12:10 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

It is taking forever for stuff to get to me now. Amazon is shipping USPS (and I'm Prime) and it's taking longer than they estimate, and they already estimate much longer than two days. Other vendors who usually ship UPS are also shipping USPS (like Bath and Body Works). I started a chat with Amazon and asked why I'm paying $130 a year for Prime if they're going to take over a week to ship to me. They said they can't get enough truck drivers and carriers. So it sounds as if the USPS is moving more mail through the system than usual.
Old 06-04-20, 12:49 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Back to business - I believe you can only get media mail postage through (1) going to the actual post office, as you cannot print media mail postage through USPS online or (2) through PayPal/eBay, though I have never tried it.
You can print media mail postage through your paypal account. Just FYI.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 02:39 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
It is taking forever for stuff to get to me now. Amazon is shipping USPS (and I'm Prime) and it's taking longer than they estimate, and they already estimate much longer than two days. Other vendors who usually ship UPS are also shipping USPS (like Bath and Body Works). I started a chat with Amazon and asked why I'm paying $130 a year for Prime if they're going to take over a week to ship to me. They said they can't get enough truck drivers and carriers. So it sounds as if the USPS is moving more mail through the system than usual.
I’m waiting for something from Amazon via UPS right now. Hmmm. I’m in Minnesota. It was departure scanned in Illinois this morning. Not arrival scanned here yet. It will be delivered to me by 9PM today. Ya - I don’t think so.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 06:08 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I might be biased as I used to be a substitute carrier for USPS but I found that USPS is almost always cheaper and faster for anything under 10 lbs then UPS. UPS doesn’t deliver where I live on the weekend so that is part of it. Amazon, UPS and Fed Ex all drop of pallets of parcels every day for USPS to deliver for them. I view UPS as the Nordstrom of shipping companies as in you pay more for slower (antiquated) service. I don’t understand why they’re still in business. USPS will pick up packages from your house just like UPS does, and they move packages faster instead of all that ground hauling and they’re cheaper and they deliver more days of the week. Oh, and one more and (sorry grammar people I know this isn’t a proper sentence) USPS has to deliver all their Priority packages in a day whereas UPS can take packages back if the driver works slow and then bring them back the next day to deliver them. USPS biggest flaw in my opinion is lack of advertising for all their services. UPS is probably more convenient but you end up paying more for that convenience. And, yes, I wish Postal clerks gave an ounce of effort to be friendly and have good customer service. It’s not that hard to smile and do your job properly i.e. don’t close your window and go on break when there is a line of people. But then that always confuses me at the DMV too which is a whole OTHER subject. Lol!!
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
postage cost, share the wealth, shipping, usps