Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-20, 09:35 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Nuggie's Auntie - I'm sorry for your loss. My mom passed away this weekend, it was somewhat sudden, but she had been declining for about a year or so and it was a very tough and stressful year for me and her. I also have a teen-ager and, wow, talk about stress and worry, between the two of them.

Donna
Donna, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.

Edited to add: Nuggie's Auntie, I just saw you lost your mom as well. I'm so sorry for your loss.

{{hugs}}

Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-20, 09:46 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
First of all, I'm sorry you're struggling--we can all relate!

Metabolic Renewal has you take a quiz in the beginning to determine your type--you're probably a type 5 (perimenopause.) I think I'm now a 6--which is just having gone through menopause. The program has workouts that are about 15-20 minutes long. It's HIIT. The workouts are pretty good, but I found Jade kind of irritating so I don't do the workouts. (I do think he seems like a love in real life, very teddy bear type guy, but somehow in the workouts I found him annoying.) Then he recommends lots of walking. He says walking is crucial--more important than the HIIT workouts.

The eating plan is pretty low carb, avoid dairy, how much carb you can have depends on your type. The reason I don't follow the diet is because he wants you to eat three meals a day and some snacks depending on your type, but I don't do well with frequent eating. Like hotncmom, I really believe in IF and it works really well for me. Plus, it's free and saves time! You can PM me if you want more info, since I've already violated diet guidelines.

Apart from that, basically you just need to manage your stress. 'Just.' haha. I know it's tough, but the emphasis on walking and being kinder to myself was really key. I was already walking a lot (I have a dog) but now I let myself go at a slower pace. Before I always pushed myself. I've been pushing myself in every area for YEARS. I'm a classic recovering overachiever. My son and I were listening to a podcast about the benefits of idleness yesterday. He told me I wasn't any good at it and I need to be more like him. I'm working on it!
I tried Metabolic Renewal and found the faster paced or Hiit Type workouts to be kind of stressful, for me anyway.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 05:19 AM  
donnamp

Thank you, Beth!
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 06:09 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealakey View Post
I tried Metabolic Renewal and found the faster paced or Hiit Type workouts to be kind of stressful, for me anyway.

~Beth
Yes, and he says that. If you're not getting results, ditch the workouts and just try walking. The HIIT workouts aren't for everyone!

Thank you for your condolences, Beth. I appreciate it.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 09:42 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Yup!

I had success with intermittent fasting and will do it again... because when I got laid off, I fell off the wagon.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 10:20 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I'm a classic recovering overachiever.
This! Me too. I don't feel right unless I'm trying to solve something or fix what's wrong or achieve many goals or now make all these damn pounds go away. I overdo everything once I can't do something, or to prove that I have the gusto to do it. My teenage son is classic underachiever, we're complete opposites. We get along really well oddly enough though, and he tells me all the time to stop trying to fix everything.

Perhaps this is part of my frustration of perimenopause, as much as I try to fix it, I can't stop a freight train. But yet I can't let it go either. Maybe I should I work on that first!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 11:09 AM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Perhaps this is part of my frustration of perimenopause, as much as I try to fix it, I can't stop a freight train. But yet I can't let it go either. Maybe I should I work on that first!
I so agree with you!

That's part of why I'm a bit insecure with doing gentler workouts. I had read many posts about how many had lost weight when they had switched to less intense workouts. But, after years of doing Cathe, improving my cardio and strength levels, and being able to keep up with her, I'm afraid that I'll lose some of these gains and NOT lose weight by switching to less intense workouts. We always seem to hear/read that the harder the better. But I guess those affirmations are not geared towards women over 50! No wonder I'm confused! Am I the only one?
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 11:27 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

This is just my experience....intense workouts not only leave me sore, they make me VERY hungry, so I eat more, lol. I do best with moderate intensity, low impact, and low weight/high rep for cardio & toning. But that’s just me....

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 08:31 PM  
Buzzer

Just my perspective, I went to lower workouts (lower weight, lower intensity, even did a t-tapp rotation) after heavy lifting for years, and I didn't see any weight loss. I have even gained weight. Now I am going back to heavy lifting, which I love, but taking more rests. I also am doing the cardio I love, but taking it down a notch.

Still no weight loss, but I am enjoying my workouts. I just wanted to add that in since I too heard that lowering the intensity would work, and it didn't!!! I even watched my diet super close, and nope. I just am where I am.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 08:36 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

I think everyone is different and for some people going with more moderate workouts works and for others it doesn't. I think it is a matter of finding what works best for you, which could be a lot of trial and error.

I ended up cutting back in my 40's, not necessarily due to weight gain or hormonal issues, but b/c my body just no longer felt good doing the high intensity/heavy weight stuff. My weight and everything is very stable - is it b/c I cut back? Who knows? Honestly, I have never seen a lot of "visible" results from exercising- the two times I did was when I was doing FIRM workouts (but I am not sure I really loved the aesthetics of the results I got from those in retrospect) and another time when I did a modified version of the 100 push up challenge - actually I did a regular circuit routine of push-ups, pull downs, squats and "monster" walks (crab walks) and I really got the best looking arms I ever had!

I think it is definitely not a one size fits all approach. the hard part may be overcoming our thoughts about what we "should" be doing vs. what we need to be doing - and trying to do more of what our bodies need and less of what our mind tells us we "should" do. That is a hard thing to do - especially when we CAN do all the hard stuff - I know I mention Pahla B a lot but she says in many of her videos that at this age we CAN do it - the trouble is we need more recovery time and if we don't take it we crash and burn a lot sooner than we did in our younger days and for some people that results in weight gain/inflammation.

Oh another You Tuber to check out for middle aged fitness is Fitness with PJ

https://www.youtube.com/user/GoFitGals

Her stuff isn't really my cup of tea - but it may work for some!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, intermittent fasting, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, over 50