Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-20, 11:00 AM  
alisoncooks

Yes, I've wondered about this too. I hate to think of the surge that the shelters might see when everyone goes back to working in person.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 11:29 AM  
LAC

The cat we currently have belonged to my son's landlords. The landlords one day decided they didn't want the cat anymore and put it out to fend for itself. My son's roommate felt bad and took it in. Then the roommate moved back to her mother's house where they already had several animals and her mom said no more, so she left the cat with my son. When my son told the landlords he was going to be moving out too, one of them told him to make sure to take the cat with him, they referred to it as useless and said they didn't want it left on the premises (my son was planning on taking it anyway - he never would have just abandoned it).

My son asked if I would keep the cat at my house for a couple of months as he was traveling for work. Now the cat has been with us a couple of years. He has health issues, which we are addressing, but he is one of the friendliest and most loving cats I've ever seen. The vet remarks every time we take him in what a good and cooperative patient he is. (This could possibly be because my last cat was not a good and cooperative patient - she was full of spit and vinegar and particularly hated both the vet and his assistant, who were afraid of her. I miss her so much!). Anyway, I just can't understand people who don't feel any loyalty or responsibility toward animals. I suspect there is special spot for them in a very hot place when their time on Earth is done.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 11:45 AM  
Vantreesta

Gams, I can't understand how people don't know puppies chew and get into everything! I know I'm not cutout for puppies. They're adorable but my anxiety issues don't allow me to be chill enough to not get stressed. 10 months old I can do. 4 months old is too much for me.

Demeris, I had no idea there was rattlesnake avoidance training! I worry about Cyric when we're at my dad's in AZ bc he wants to chase everything. He fancies himself a lizard hunter, I think.

Wendy, I have decided (really Cyric has decided!) will be a one dog household unless he really mellows out. He doesn't like other dogs. He got along great with Chianna but he came into her house, not the other way around. I think he misses her as far as having another dog to hang out with but I really don't think he will allow another dog in, no matter how much fun one could be for him.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 12:43 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
The cat we currently have belonged to my son's landlords. The landlords one day decided they didn't want the cat anymore and put it out to fend for itself. My son's roommate felt bad and took it in. Then the roommate moved back to her mother's house where they already had several animals and her mom said no more, so she left the cat with my son. When my son told the landlords he was going to be moving out too, one of them told him to make sure to take the cat with him, they referred to it as useless and said they didn't want it left on the premises (my son was planning on taking it anyway - he never would have just abandoned it).
A few months ago we noticed several new cats in our back yard. We've been feeding a family of four feral cats for a year or two so I'm sure they came for the food but we couldn't understand how so many showed up at once. All are friendly so obviously belonged to someone. I found out that neighbors behind and a few doors down had a houseful of cats and decided they didn't want them anymore and put them out.

We've had 4 of the 8 neutered/spayed (but one had 3 kittens before we could get to her) and I wish I could find homes for them but everyone I know who likes cats is maxed out. We have 8 inside already and I just can't have more. We have kitty condos and houses on the deck and some prefer to stay under the deck so they're comfortable and safe. I'm just so damn angry at the person who did this. When I see someone from their family outside I so want to say something but really, what would be the point?
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 12:58 PM  
Gams

I don’t understand it, either, when people feel no loyalty or responsibility toward their pets. I started a HUGE argument at another forum once when a woman posted that she saw a picture of someone’s dog that was a lot cuter than her own dog and she was wondering if she should contact the person to see if they might be interested in trading dogs. I posted that I thought it was a wonderful idea and that maybe she should ask to see pictures of the other woman’s kids because maybe they were cuter than her own as well and she could trade them while she was at it.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 01:33 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

With you on this one. Fostering, I understand, because it's a shorter-term commitment and a good tryout for pet ownership. Adoption in the middle of a pandemic is not for me.
Old 05-17-20, 07:28 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I don’t understand it, either, when people feel no loyalty or responsibility toward their pets. I started a HUGE argument at another forum once when a woman posted that she saw a picture of someone’s dog that was a lot cuter than her own dog and she was wondering if she should contact the person to see if they might be interested in trading dogs. I posted that I thought it was a wonderful idea and that maybe she should ask to see pictures of the other woman’s kids because maybe they were cuter than her own as well and she could trade them while she was at it.
Thanks, Gams. That was the best laugh I had all day.

Seriously, I'm with you all. My pets are my kids and I can't imagine treating them with anything but the same love and loyalty they give me.

It's turtle migration time around here. Today I went back to flip a turtle who got him/herself upside down In the street. I darn near cried about that turtle. One of those days when crying seems like the best reaction, I suppose.
____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19