Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-19, 02:48 PM  
ChelePA

Exercise Induced Rhinitis

Anyone else with a runny nose while exercising? It really kicks in during cycling class. Drives me crazy!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 03:22 PM  
SpiritYogi

Yes! I started using an ab wheel about four months ago and notice that whenever I use it, my nose starts running like crazy. Doesn't run while doing any other type of workout or exercises, just when using the wheel. Weird, right?
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 03:31 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I began seeing a really good allergist recently and discovered that this - and alas, I sniffle while eating - is called non-allergic rhinitis. Cold, exercising and eating are triggers.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 03:43 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I began seeing a really good allergist recently and discovered that this - and alas, I sniffle while eating - is called non-allergic rhinitis. Cold, exercising and eating are triggers.
Is there something you can do for this? I use at least 6 tissues per workout. My nose runs constantly no matter what weather. One of the reasons I don't want to join a club.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 06:28 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Yes! I started using an ab wheel about four months ago and notice that whenever I use it, my nose starts running like crazy. Doesn't run while doing any other type of workout or exercises, just when using the wheel. Weird, right?
Sometimes that wheel will be made of material that can cause a low level allergic reaction. Rolling the wheel helps to release the chemicals. Maybe try the same actions on a foam roller or something different to see if it makes a difference. HTH.
Old 10-02-19, 09:51 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I keep a box of tissues in my workout area and blow as I go! I definitely understand!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 07:19 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Sometimes that wheel will be made of material that can cause a low level allergic reaction. Rolling the wheel helps to release the chemicals. Maybe try the same actions on a foam roller or something different to see if it makes a difference. HTH.
Interesting. I used to do roll ins / roll outs on a stability ball and didn't have an issue so you may be on to something.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 07:27 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Is there something you can do for this? I use at least 6 tissues per workout. My nose runs constantly no matter what weather. One of the reasons I don't want to join a club.
My doctor gave me a script for a nasal spray called Azelastine. It helps when I remember to take it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 08:18 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I have always had this too! My nose runs like crazy when I do any kind of exercise. I have to carry a hanky when I run and I'm sure the people around me don't appreciate my nose blowing during a race!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 11:50 AM  
manleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Cold, exercising and eating are triggers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
My nose runs constantly no matter what weather.
This is me! Nose runs almost all of the time! Cleaning is also a trigger. Pretty much anything is a trigger. I usually keep a kleenex tucked into my sleeve (my mom did the same thing) and I don't know how many shredded kleenxes have been in the lint filter because I forgot to take the kleenxes out of my pockets. Didn't know the medical term. Just thought it was part of my inheritance.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rhinitis, runny nose