Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 03-01-18, 11:06 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
For thicker yogurt you can also add 1/3 to 1/2 cup powdered milk per quart of milk before heating. Also, the longer the yogurt sets, the thicker it will be. However, the longer it sets, the more tart it is.
Bea, so glad to see you! Thanks for the tip. I am going to try a batch with Fairlife milk. Supposedly that makes thicker yogurt without straining. I have a Eurocuisine strainer and cleaning it was such a pain.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-18, 04:59 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I think Full fat milk (3%) makes thicker yogurt, but I have heard of adding powdered milk too. I agree it does get more tart the longer you process it. That's one reason I prefer kefir, it has a smoother less tart taste more like buttermilk. It doesn't need heat to process.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-18, 07:34 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I think Full fat milk (3%) makes thicker yogurt, but I have heard of adding powdered milk too. I agree it does get more tart the longer you process it. That's one reason I prefer kefir, it has a smoother less tart taste more like buttermilk. It doesn't need heat to process.
Thanks! I started a batch with 2% Fairlife milk and 2% Fage at 5:30 am. I will report back later.

Eta: Wow, this batch came out so much thicker using Fairlife milk for the cold start method. I am chilling it now. I will taste it tonight.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-18, 05:47 PM  
katmom

[QUOTE=yogapam;2762135]Hasn't been an issue for me as I use my glass lid when I do yogurt.

Pam, i was going back through the thread when it clicked with me that you stated you used the glass lid. I have the glass lid, but is your Instant Pot a newer model with the yogurt setting or do you use the slow cooker setting?
Old 03-04-18, 10:35 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Hasn't been an issue for me as I use my glass lid when I do yogurt.
Pam, i was going back through the thread when it clicked with me that you stated you used the glass lid. I have the glass lid, but is your Instant Pot a newer model with the yogurt setting or do you use the slow cooker setting?
Hi katmom! I have a yogurt setting on my IP. I use a glass lid for yogurt, slow cooking, & storing leftovers in the fridge. I have two liners & two glass lids. I use my IP a lot!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-18, 03:51 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I passed the Insta Pot display in Walmart yesterday and once again I was tempted. They had it for $79. I am must afraid I won't use it.

Sherry, how are you enjoying yours?
I just bought one a few weeks ago and have used it twice--I made chili and I made shrimp & grits. Both turned out well. I tried it for soft-boiled eggs and it just wasn't worth the trouble.

Mine is a knockoff (Cosori) and it came with two rings and the glass lid. But I also bought an accessory steamer basket and racks.

I'm looking forward to using it, but I'll be going out of town next week. I want to use it for things like dinner on weeknights.
Old 03-28-18, 07:44 AM  
buffmama

Just wanted to say that I am loving my IP - and I was a reluctant adapter! Rice, beans, soup, yogurt, breakfast - set it and forget, clean, rinse and repeat. I'm now making broth weekly and feel as if there is less waste since I'm using scraps to make it. I can imagine that if a small one goes on sale I will want it but at the same price it just doesn't seem worth it.

Tags
instant pot, nutritional yeast, steel cut oats