Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-13, 03:47 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
Why doesn't Wendy just delete the completely OT threads or move them to another forum from GD? Wouldn't that be the quickest way to shut them down & prevent future ones?

Joan
I was just thinking along the same lines Joan - make a separate forum for OT threads, that she cleans out regularly (to prevent the db from getting too huge). No OT threads on the GD allowed at all.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

Old 11-03-13, 03:52 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
I was just thinking along the same lines Joan - make a separate forum for OT threads, that she cleans out regularly (to prevent the db from getting too huge). No OT threads on the GD allowed at all.
WWWendy has always rejected the idea of an OT forum.
Old 11-03-13, 04:06 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
I agree w/ many of the points made. Suggestions for exercise ideas while recovering from injury or illness are great but the "diagnose me" threads really scare me. Having seen both my parents' health completely overtaken by quackery & bad advice, I have to shake my head.

Why doesn't Wendy just delete (ETA: or lock them) the completely OT threads or move them to another forum from GD? Wouldn't that be the quickest way to shut them down & prevent future ones?

Joan
I assume it's because Wendy is busy with work, family, etc and she can't always keep an eye on the board. That's probably why she requests us not to post OT to begin with. I think that she didn't want to police us too much either. lol

But maybe locking enough of them will probably enforce folks not to start them to begin with.
Old 11-03-13, 04:12 PM  
koinonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
I assume it's because Wendy is busy with work, family, etc and she can't always keep an eye on the board. That's probably why she requests us not to post OT to begin with. I think that she didn't want to police us too much either. lol
This, and it's probably not cheap maintaining VF and adding an off topic forum will only make it more costly.
Old 11-03-13, 04:31 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Smile

For me, I don't have a problem with OT discussions. If I don't like the header or if I don't have anything to offer, I just skip them. I would hate to think that there was someone out there who may need help and maybe not have anywhere else to turn. I know a lot of people here have been able to form long-term friendships, but that may not be the same for everyone.. possibly the OT poster needs a more far reaching question answered or a personal story given to help with an issue. While maybe not directly related to fitness or doing videos, it may be a matter of personal well being. I found it refreshing to find other fans of Breaking Bad or Dancing with the Stars, or what the latest fall reads are.

I have to wonder if some OT discussion never occurred, and we get to know one another on a different level.......would friendships continue to develop?
Old 11-03-13, 04:49 PM  
antbuko

I'm glad this thread was started. I hadn't seen Wendy's post from 10/31 and had been thinking that Wendy has become very tolerant of OT threads. I do enjoy some OT threads, but this could easily become the norm instead of a predominantly fitness video forum.
Old 11-03-13, 04:52 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPLYN61 View Post
I have to wonder if some OT discussion never occurred, and we get to know one another on a different level.......would friendships continue to develop?
Again, that is what the check in threads are for. It's hard to feel like friends with 27,000+ people.

This is one of the policies which has existed since the beginning of VF. VF costs money to run and it's Wendy's prerogative to set boundaries to the discussion.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Old 11-03-13, 05:07 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Again, that is what the check in threads are for. It's hard to feel like friends with 27,000+ people.

This is one of the policies which has existed since the beginning of VF. VF costs money to run and it's Wendy's prerogative to set boundaries to the discussion.
Well said.
Old 11-03-13, 05:35 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post

Exactly. Even if we are VF supporters (and I know that there are those who aren't for whatever reason) it costs both money and time to run this board. I have a problem when there are a ton of off topic threads because WWWendy has set guidelines and bandwidth isn't free. I appreciate her effort and respect her right to set limits.
Old 11-03-13, 05:49 PM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by koinonia View Post
This, and it's probably not cheap maintaining VF and adding an off topic forum will only make it more costly.
Can't other moderators lock threads besides Wendy? Looking at the other VF forums besides GD, there are a couple that are barely used that could become dual purpose. Eg. "VF News & OT Threads"

I understand it costs $$ to run VF but if the problem isn't getting fixed by stickies that few people pay attention to (including myself!), maybe another approach is needed.

Joan
Closed Thread

Tags
off-topic