Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-24, 06:05 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies-Not to brag, but I can fit in the earrings I wore in high school. 3/10

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-24, 06:16 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Yes, I was able to start the thread here in Patagonia. I’m doing well - good sleep last night despite some big waves - I got something for seasickness last night before going to bed from the ship doctor - no problems. Today we’ll be going further south, but I think we’re still 2 days from visiting a glacier on the southernmost part. This is a pretty small ship, so we’re able to go in fairly narrow channels. We might stop and take little walks at various ports.

Laura, I still haven’t InstaCarted anything at stores, but it’s something to keep in mind for the future. I haven’t posted pictures on FB yet, but friends have tagged me in their pictures.

Paula, glad DH’s ankle is feeling better. I’m sure you’re making great progress on your bread recipe modification and having fun eating the “failures” .

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 03-10-24, 05:20 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today was a beautiful day. I didn't get out into it at all though. Last night, I had a horrible time falling asleep and by the time I got tired/sleepy enough, DH was snoring up a storm. I finally ended up going upstairs around 4:00 a.m. (new time) and sleeping in some this morning. I haven't done much today since then except for catching up on the computer and doing a grocery store pickup and interacting with DH and Polly.

If you ever do want to try InstaCart, it has two levels. The version where you don't pay for the program, but you do pay for pick-ups and deliveries is what I used up until the end of December 2023. They offered me a deal to sign up for the pay version at half price and I took it. Not only are a lot of the pay-as-you-go fees free, but you get a small percentage of each purchase refunded that you can apply to the next purchase and certain stores like Costco are only available through the pay version because they only offer deliveries only in the pay version. If you want to try the pay version, I'd suggest to wait until Black Friday through the end of the year and see if you can get a half price deal to try it out. I've decided I'll renew at the full price when it rolls around because I think it's worth it, but I was happy to get it for less to try out the pay version program.

Anita - Thanks for getting us started - and on your vacation! It's good you have the medication to calm your system down. It sounds like the ship being the size it is can lead to some interesting opportunities.

Paula - Good luck with modifying the bread recipe. Let us know how it goes.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-24, 09:03 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was the first half of my PT routine, Pahla B Body Shaping day 26 Cardio/Tone, and then a Sarah Starr stretch.

Grocery and food prep day. DH had to go in to urgent care this morning with an infected cyst. The doctor drained it and dug a hole in DH’s back so he’s a bit sore this evening.

Anita, I am so impressed you were able to start this thread from Patagonia! Hope you’re having a wonderful and little or no problems with sea sickness. Scopolamine patch is the most effective for sea sickness in my experience. Funny but my “failure” bread is DH’s favorite right now. I won’t try again until these loaves are gone.

Laura, beautiful day here too. I always have trouble with the time change too. I’m grateful I wasn’t up until 4:00 am though. I might just try InstaCart, waiting for Black Friday sounds like a good idea, thanks. I will let you know how my next try at multigrain bread comes out. Although, as I said, DH says he really likes the “failure” loaves. It’s dense, dark bread – I’m surprised he likes it as much as he does.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-24, 05:24 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Today I visit a glacier coming into this water - should be very intense - we’ll still be in the water in small boats, not climbing on the glacier. Otherwise seeing the sights from the boat.

You guys get your time change - not yet here, so right now I’m two hours away from my regular Central time.

Laura, we’ll be going through a narrow passage to get to the lake the glacier is on - only possible with this smaller boat.

Paula, I hope DH is feeling better today. Glad DH enjoys “failure” bread - I think Gus would have gotten mine if I didn’t have a good baking project.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 03-11-24, 05:11 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today was a busyish day. I declared it Laundry Catch-up Day, the day I would finally get some of the smaller tasks I hadn't finished for previous loads (like folding or putting away). I also took DH to his PT appointment and dropped in on the chiropractor and ran an errand on the way home.

Paula - Just think how good the bread will be when you figure out the amounts of the ingredients that result in NON-failure bread. It's good DH likes it. To me, that would be motivating to continue trying to figure it all out.

Anita - I look forward to hearing about the glacier. The small boat sounds like the way to go!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 03-11-24, 09:49 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Cardio and Stretch.

A lazy day for me, DH went to the hangar and I stayed home and putzed. I made some sourdough whole wheat rolls, did some dusting, and got some quilting done.

Anita, I hope you got a good view of the glacier. When we took an Alaska cruise the day we visited the Hubble glacier it was so overcast we couldn't see the glacier that was right in front of us. We could hear it calving though. We did see lots of glaciers later when we visited Glacier Nat Park in Montana. Did they bring glacier ice onboard and put it in your drinks. DH is feeling better and turns out we both like the "failure" bread. Definately a recipe worth tinkering with to see if I can get it to rise more.

Laura, sounds like we had similar days - just catching up on the "To Do" list. Yes, I am motivated to tweek the bread recipe. To some degree anytime you use sourdough starter to make bread rise it's tricky because starter responds to temperature and humidity to a greater degree than commercial yeast does. Since this is multigrain bread, I think the answer is to play with the amount of whole wheat flour and the oatmeal. Those two ingredients absorb more water than bread flour and the seeds I put in. So if I'm going to keep the quanity of whole wheat and oatmeal the same I may need to increase the amount of water a little or I need to decrease the amount of whole wheat and oatmeal.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-24, 06:28 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Yesterday was a beautiful day here at the glacier - it was cold, but manageable. Weather there was nice in that we had cloudy skies with a few peaks at sunshine shining through the ice and NO RAIN! We just used boats to get near the glacier face and saw several calving episodes of ice falling into the water. Not much walking though . The food here is wonderful and LOTS given at each meal - I have to learn how not to use a clean plate history. As far as wildlife, we saw two different types of seals/walruses, and lots of gulls, albatrosses and hawks. I have lots of photos but am hoping to hold off posting them on FB until I’m back home.

Laura, I’ll need laundry soon here - hoping it will last till I get off the boat - unfortunately I’ve had more spills on my tops than usual…

Paula, yes, we had some glacier ice chopped off in front of us for a drink right in front of the glacier (Bailey’s), but supposedly the ship is always stocked by glacier ice for drinks.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 03-12-24, 11:43 AM  
fanofladyvols

I saw the thread title and got such a good giggle I had to pop in here and thank you 😂

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-24, 06:33 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a busy day. This morning, I cleaned up a couple of areas in the house since the cleaners are coming on Thursday. It took a while to break down a big stack of boxes. I also cooked meatloaf in a couple of smaller forms (muffins and bars) for DH. It took much of the day when adding in cleaning up as I went, running and unloading the dishwasher, and cooking a couple of rounds. I deliberately made enough to freeze a good amount along with leaving DH with enough for leftovers. I also hung out with Polly on the front steps of the house for a while this morning. It was a beautiful day here and she really enjoyed being outside.

Linda - Thanks for dropping by. I'm glad you like the theme. It's one of my favorites!

Paula - To me, it makes sense to play with the amount of liquid first. It's always nice to have a lazyish day.

Anita - It sounds like you are seeing a lot of beauty where you are. The wildlife sounds incredible. It's good you didn't have rain while viewing the glacier.

Laura's Workout Mantras: