Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-05-21, 01:54 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Allison, which rower did you get? Mine is a Proform 750R. Apparently it can be used with iFit, so I'll probably try it out. I saw it's not great if you're over 6 feet, but it does seem super sturdy.

Your bike looks amazing! Did you buy that from someone local? The only bikes I see around here are cheaper ones you can usually find on Amazon.

I feel like now is the time to sell fitness stuff if you're not using it. I sold my cheapo rebounder for a little more than I paid, I believe. Also sold a yoga mat with some bands and an extra Ivanko padded bar I had (it was scratched in shipment so they ended up sending an extra for free). I've probably made almost enough to pay for the rower.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 04:50 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH
I planned out my next program after Body Beast. I’m taking a break from the long pre-planned rotations and creating my own 4-week one.
This is so impressive to me that you have this skill and drive. In contrast, I bring the same approach to strength training that I do to cooking: someone needs to tell me what to do.

Pratima - Great point about it being the perfect time to resell fitness equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima
Wait--what was that about Nema passing? I feel like I missed something. I know she wasn't doing great but somehow assumed she was stable, at least for an older dog.
She's still with us, but she is 13, which is pretty old for a golden retriever, and we found out this summer that she has a brain tumor. We've been treating it in the most non-invasive way that preserves her quality of life. We've run out the 6 months that the neurologist predicted the chemo and other meds would buy us and she's started to go downhill. It feels too soon right now to euthanize her, but I'm terrified to wait and have her suffer needlessly. (We'll probably have a waiting period of 2-3 days before the vet can come to our house to put her down.) She hasn't been left alone in 7 months because of need to treat any seizures ASAP. I'm grateful to have had her for so long and to be able to give her a good end-of-life experience when the time comes. 13 years has flown by.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 05:43 PM  
Vantreesta

I'm kinda jealous you all have such nice rowers and bikes! My rower doesn't work the same way so it's impossible to follow Shane's form to a T.

I'm working on undecorating and watching Elf, a movie I never really got into (although I do love Bob Newhart!) but it was one of my mom's favorites (and I can really see why she loved it so much). It's sort of bittersweet taking things down. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to put everything away just yet, but I will be nice to get the tree down at least and the couch back where it belongs. It has been displaced since Halloween went up in September! I may leave the Nativity up but move it to the table so the dragons can move back to their home.

I really hope to be back later. I know there are questions from the last thread I never answered and I have workouts to report. I just can't seem to get myself together and organized these days.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 07:07 PM  
Vantreesta

I liked the movie better than the first time I watched it. It's so my mom.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 01-06-21, 12:23 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Pratima: I got the Stamina Magnetic Rowing Machine 1130. It’s in the “bargain rower” category, but it got good reviews both on Amazon and on bargain rower lists. It met my two needs: small footprint when stored upright and cheap. I made more than enough selling my spin bike to pay for it. I bought the spin bike from a fitness supplier about 2 hours away and had it delivered. They sell new stuff and sell the used ones off leases. It came fully assembled, which made the shipping charge totally worth it!

Vantreesta: That’s so good that you can watch Elf and feel your mom.

Daphne: I remember when Nemo joined your family.

Me: I did one of the Dark Horse 10-minute beginner rower workouts today. I know I’ll get the rhythm back some day, but it’s so hard. As a cool down after, I rowed with the lightest resistance saying legs, core, arms—arms, core, legs out loud as I did each part. That helped a little. My upper back and shoulders are sore already, which probably isn’t a good thing.

I also did Leanne’s 80s Peloton ride today, which was so much fun!
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-21, 05:13 PM  
Vantreesta

Well, I can at least get my workouts posted!

Fri 1/1 177 minutes
15 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge days 18 and 19) F-AM 1st time
14 minutes (from L. Wyndham-Read Fitness Advent Calendar day 1 Winter Wonderland Workout, YT) F-AM 1st time
30 minutes (from L. Wyndham-Read Fitness Advent Calendar day 2 Full Body Workout-20 Calorie Burning Moves, YT) F-AM 1st time
16 minutes (from Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 3, YT) (Sadhana day 1) F-AM 1st time
17 minutes (from Crossrope 14-Day Beginner's Challenge day 13) F-PM 1st time
30 minutes (from L. Wyndham-Read Fitness Advent Calendar day 4 At Home Indoor Walking Workout & Full Body Walking Exercises, YT) F-PM 1st time
55 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.59 mi)

Sat 1/2 47 minutes
47 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.09 mi)

Sun 1/3 26 minutes
26 minutes (from 2 dog walks 1.71 mi)

Mon 1/4 92 minutes
8 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge day 20) M-AM 1st time
16 minutes (from Crossrope 14-Day Beginner's Challenge day 14!) M-AM 1st time
11 minutes (from L. Wyndham-Read Fitness Advent Calendar day 3 Full Body Workout 10 Minute HIIT, YT) M-AM 1st time
15 minutes (from Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 4, YT) (Sadhana day 4) M-AM 1st time
42 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.03 mi)

Tue 1/5 130 minutes
15 minutes (from Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 5, YT) (Sadhana day 5) T-AM 1st time
15 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge days 21 and 22) T-AM 1st time
17 minutes (from 1.5 miles Dark Horse Rowing: Rowvember day 5 half of Intermediate Drills-Fix You Posture (hated it) and then 10 Minute Sprint Pyramid) T-AM subbed YT
19 minutes (from Crossrope 12 Days of Crossrope Challenge day 1) T-AM 1st time
10 minutes (from L. Wyndham-Read Fitness Advent Calendar day 5 Standing Ab Workout, YT) T-AM 1st time
54 minutes (from 3 dog walks 4.01 mi)

Wed 1/6 0 minutes
19 minutes (from Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 6, YT) (Sadhana day 6) W-AM 1st time
7 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge day 23) W-AM 1st time
23 minutes (from 2.6 miles Dark Horse Rowing: Rowvember day 6) W-AM
18 minutes (from L. Wyndham-Read Fitness Advent Calendar day 6 -7 Minute Walking Workout & 4 Minute Toning, YT) W-AM 1st time
24 minutes (from S. Starr Happy Yoga S1E1 Forest Cove, TV) W-AM 1st time

Old 01-07-21, 12:05 AM  
Vantreesta

I wish Virtual Active would have put out rowing DVDs.

Old 01-07-21, 01:14 AM  
Vantreesta

Ooh, Ambient has virtual rowing downloads. Of course, they're just nature sounds, not guided, but still. I may try one even though I prefer DVDs.

Old 01-07-21, 09:11 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Daphne: I forgot to reply—thanks for the compliment. I’ve planned things on my own before and it didn’t go well, but since I’ve been so consistent—and I know I’ll still be working from home that whole time—I feel I’ll be successful.

That being said, I’m taking an unplanned rest day today. I’m physically and mentally exhausted. I of course wasn’t in the office yesterday, but my building was among those on lockdown and then evacuated with much confusion. Even when not there, it’s upsetting to get the email telling you to lock all doors, silence electronics, and hide.

I’ll finish my last two Body Beast workouts tomorrow and Saturday.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 11:04 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, have you looked at iFit? They have rowing workouts, scenic I believe. I was looking at it for that and I think they also have scenic bike workouts! I did a Virtual Active cycle DVD yesterday and really enjoyed it. They offer streaming now but iFit seems the better option.

I've never seen Elf! A friend of mine is a huge fan. I should sit and watch it sometime.

Allison, that was one of the rowers I looked at. I was seriously considering several from Stamina. There was a Concept 2 on FB Marketplace yesterday! Mine does have a 90 day warranty though, and I like that it syncs with iFit. I haven't been able to use it yet because DH hasn't moved it upstairs. It's a rather awkward shape to carry up.

I was wondering if you lived anywhere near the chaos. I'm glad to hear you weren't in the office!

Daphne, I feel for you with having to make decisions for Nema. I do think you'll know when her time comes. Thirteen years seem so long, yet so short.

I spent way too much time glued to the news yesterday and it made me cranky and tired. I rarely watch the news but I just couldn't believe it was happening.

I did get to bed on time-ish, around 10:30 but then couldn't get up at 5 and slept until 6. I'm sticking with Body Beast and am halfway through week 2. I am throwing in cardio here and there. Yesterday was a 40 minute Virtual Active DVD, which was awesome. Today I did a 20 minute HIIT Peloton outdoor run. I've also been doing the Crush Your Core Peloton challenge with Emma and am on my last week! No six pack abs but my core is definitely stronger.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote