Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-21, 06:41 PM  
bfit
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
It's funny how an instructor that some people just love doesn't ever click with other people. Thankfully, there are many (too many) instructors to choose from. I love Jessica Smith's workouts. I think there seems to be a purpose for every move, and they seem well organized like she's thought out a good balance of the right exercises. And they are creative in a good way - new and different but not just weird. As for things I just can't get into I could never catch on to Classical Stretch or Jillian Michaels. Jillian was like my old PE teacher yelling at me. I'm not a big Paul Katami fan either. He seems like a likeable person and a knowledgeable instructor, but the only workout of his that I've ever kept is Ab Lab. I didn't like his multi DVD set at all.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 07:22 PM  
Leonana
 
Leonana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolgirl-01 View Post
the 1st three are the ones i've been thinking about getting.
My favorite of her strength dvds is Get Strong.
__________________
Sherry
Leonana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 09:57 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter
 
adawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Illinois
Oops, wrong thread.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 10:28 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter
 
zraipel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
It's funny how an instructor that some people just love doesn't ever click with other people. Thankfully, there are many (too many) instructors to choose from. I love Jessica Smith's workouts. I think there seems to be a purpose for every move, and they seem well organized like she's thought out a good balance of the right exercises. And they are creative in a good way - new and different but not just weird. As for things I just can't get into I could never catch on to Classical Stretch or Jillian Michaels. Jillian was like my old PE teacher yelling at me. I'm not a big Paul Katami fan either. He seems like a likeable person and a knowledgeable instructor, but the only workout of his that I've ever kept is Ab Lab. I didn't like his multi DVD set at all.
Paul is another one that I have tried several times but never could click with him. I think he has well designed workouts, is knowledgeable and pleasant, but I don't like working out with him and I can't pinpoint why.

Also, yoga. Pretty much all yoga is just dread inducing to me. Even Hemalayaa's yoga workouts, which I used to at least be able to tolerate pretty well, don't work for me. The only yoga I can do now is Buti (I've really been enjoying ButiTV). It's a totally different feeling to me than all other yoga and I actually look forward to doing those workouts.
__________________
Stephanie
zraipel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 10:44 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter
 
Jennifer R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sonoma County, CA
I have to say, since we left Hawaii and I no longer have a dedicated exercise room, I really miss my rebounder. We had a community gym we could use until COVID, luckily we can still use outdoor heated pools on an appointment basis, but when it's in the 40s and drizzly I can't summon enough of an inner warrior to do that.

I do appreciate the great variety of exercise/instructor options we have now vs when I started video exercise in the early 90s.
__________________
Jennifer R
Dancin' in Paradise

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 10:46 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter
 
Jennifer R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
Paul is another one that I have tried several times but never could click with him. I think he has well designed workouts, is knowledgeable and pleasant, but I don't like working out with him and I can't pinpoint why.

Also, yoga. Pretty much all yoga is just dread inducing to me. Even Hemalayaa's yoga workouts, which I used to at least be able to tolerate pretty well, don't work for me. The only yoga I can do now is Buti (I've really been enjoying ButiTV). It's a totally different feeling to me than all other yoga and I actually look forward to doing those workouts.
Just to show how different we all are, Buti yoga turned me OFF so hard with just a few minutes viewing. Of course, I've been doing traditional hatha yoga since I was a teen, and I'm 67 now. Might be set in my ways??
__________________
Jennifer R
Dancin' in Paradise

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 10:49 PM  
Leonana
 
Leonana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
The Firms are good workouts! But maybe they just aren't the best fit for my aging frame, who knows.
It's the same for me. I can't do high impact cardio, and the strength dvds I tried strained my glutes. But I think they would have been great if I had done them in the 90's, when I was in my 30's.
__________________
Sherry
Leonana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 11:22 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter
 
zraipel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Just to show how different we all are, Buti yoga turned me OFF so hard with just a few minutes viewing. Of course, I've been doing traditional hatha yoga since I was a teen, and I'm 67 now. Might be set in my ways??
Yeah, I've never been a yogi, and I've tried so many times because I guess I thought it should be good for me. All it seems to do is stress me out, though With Buti, the more I explore in their streaming service, the more I like it. Especially the ones that Bizzie leads. I probably like it though, for the same reason you don't... it doesn't feel like traditional yoga. While yes, I'm aware I'm performing traditional yoga poses, the presentation tricks me into thinking I'm doing something else, lol.
__________________
Stephanie
zraipel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 12:32 AM  
Cybersparkle
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I tried, for the 3rd time, to give Jessica a try. What's not to love about all her 4-limb routines and no impact cardio that I'm totally in to?! Yet, I find myself stopping about 15 minutes in and changing to something else. I adore her personality, as I've stated several times... yet my motivation isn't there.

I end up jumping on the rebounder to finish my workout time. I really do want to expand beyond my Firms and Fitprimes. Dash it all Ann Benson!! LOL

What instructor or method have you tried more than once wishing they or it would click with you?
I feel like I have two health conscious personalities inside. One is logical & counts the facts whereas the other is illogical & simply approves or not & gives no reason for the final decision lol

A conversation between the two goes like this

"Logically, ______ (insert a popular instructor or method) is the best! Tons of fans, impeccable method that will help meet all your fitness goals - go for it!"

"Um, hold on a second - before you begin. Does it have music you like? Do you like the setting? What about the instructors voice? Can you tolerate the dated-ness of it? Or is it too youngish for your 53 yr old tastes? And before I close, I claim the right to veto or approve based on any criteria listed or not listed above."

I have been almost in tears because I have not been able to stick with superb workout routines & wonderful instructors that my illogical inner exercise guru will not let pass go lol

I like Jessica Smith's older youtube workouts but not the well produced dvds (go figure). A few Jillians - sometimes the yelling keeps me on point, sometimes I need more nurturing. Cant do the classic Firms I loved in the 90's cuz too dated now & never liked the newer ones. But I can do all older, dated Ellens! And, like, 90% of all workouts do not fit my musical tastes, but I can do Denise Austin with or without music!

I am open to trying new stuff, sometimes I like it!

I havent been working out due to covid life & all it's stresses & other issues even before then. As I start back up again I surrender & am just gonna do my faves for now. This thread is a good reminder to not waste time & energy fighting my inner illogical exercise guru - thus far it has won every time.
__________________
Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine! ~Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 06:16 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanywu View Post
I've tried to vary things up with FIRM workouts over the years but just don't gravitate to them much... I do some of the upper body splits and lower body floorwork routines a couple of times a year, and I know the longer AWT-oriented ones (I have many of them) would be super efficient, but by and large I still prefer split routines and I don't like fast paced lunges/step ups + compound moves + lots of equipment changes Still, as the vidiot I am, I keep the DVDs on my shelf, thinking the right mood will strike one day!
The nice thing about the remasters is that they are chaptered well. I have the cross trainer strength/cardio pair and I have just skipped the cardio parts, because I have them in Tough Cardio Mix. I am also not a fan of the Firms ab work so I skip that as well. It shortens them up nicely and it's probably how I will use these. 30-40 minutes is about the right amount for me, anything longer than that and it drags.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
instructors, joni-o

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2009 Video Fitness