Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-16-21, 08:30 AM  
sherry7899

I am doing the most painful decluttering. I am donating 3/4 of my husband's clothing. He honestly only wore 1/4 of his clothes. I am keeping what he wore the most. I may have some of his t-shirts made into a blanket eventually. I have to find someone to do that.

I have a Vietnam Vets pick up on Friday. The only clothing of my husband's that my son could wear would possibly be shoes. Most of them are totally worn out and not even good enough to donate. I started just wanting to donate his winter jackets, rain jackets and coats since someone could use them now, but then I kept going. I am keeping most of his fleece jackets because I will wear them in the house.

I probably just killed this thread....sorry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-21, 09:29 AM  
sciencelady

Vantreesta, I use dryer balls, but think mine are from alpaca hair. They don't work . I still use them as they help add volume to my dryer cycle clothing, but I use a sheet for static control. The static could be because of the very dry conditions here in a winter deep freeze, but the sheet takes care of it.

Sherry, It's good that you donated so much of your husband's clothing. When my father died, I kept his robe as it gave me a hug in memory of him and I could smell him in the robe for a long time. When my mother and stepfather died, they were of totally different sizes, so keeping clothing wasn't too practical. The only thing keepable was scarves and winter hats. It is hard to do this decluttering. Hugs to you Sherry .

I'm planning on giving a lot of my circus stuff back to the circus to be distributed from there. I had some staff T's that I never wore that I think they could reassign to others, I have beautiful leggings, a hula hoop, and some juggling balls. I'll drop them off this weekend.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-21, 10:06 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am doing the most painful decluttering. I am donating 3/4 of my husband's clothing. He honestly only wore 1/4 of his clothes. I am keeping what he wore the most. I may have some of his t-shirts made into a blanket eventually. I have to find someone to do that.

I have a Vietnam Vets pick up on Friday. The only clothing of my husband's that my son could wear would possibly be shoes. Most of them are totally worn out and not even good enough to donate. I started just wanting to donate his winter jackets, rain jackets and coats since someone could use them now, but then I kept going. I am keeping most of his fleece jackets because I will wear them in the house.

I probably just killed this thread....sorry
I am so sorry Sherry. That is very painful going through a love one's personal items. When my father passed I kept the coat he had on when he died. I also kept a few of his shirts and ties that my son's later wore when they were in high school and college. My mother passed one month before my father and he went through her things. I have a few of her scarves and a couple of things he gave me. Be kind to yourself. It's a very sad and difficult process.
Old 02-16-21, 01:58 PM  
BunnyHop

Sherry, we're right there with you!!

Making the decisions about what to do is so hard.

Only last week I finally found out that Habitat Rehome would come inside the house to retrieve dad's old electric recliners.

Somehow having them gone has eased some of the ache, I guess I associated them with the misery of his final years. My hope is that they'll be useful to someone who truly needs them.

Now to get back to general decluttering.
Old 02-16-21, 03:50 PM  
fanofladyvols

Sherry, good for you. That couldn't have been easy!

None of my MIL clothes were my style or size so they all went to a church missionary fund drive cause except for a winter coat that she had from her mother. It's not in the best shape but her mother is wearing it in many pictures we have and my husband was glad I kept it.

Most of my FIL clothes were donated as well except for some large long sleeve t-shirts and ballcaps that my son and husband wanted to keep. It makes me smile when they wear them because the shirts are very large...and well...they're not so the shirts kind of drown them

It sounds to me like you chose well in what you kept

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 12:54 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

DH's workplace had an e-waste drive. it kicked me into gear to remove the hard drive (HD) from a very old HP Pavilion desktop, which is probably Windows XP. after watching several youtube videos, it took me a little over an hour. my desktop was so old that my desktop looked vastly different from the ones shown - i had to adapt and use deduction to make sure i was removing it efficiently. there were 2 fans in the way, so i had to unscrew those.

1 down, 2 laptops to go! one laptop is on Vista () and the other Windows 7.

also got rid of some old laptop batteries and other household batteries that were sitting around forever. I've heard of household batteries causing fires, so it was a good thing to get rid of them.

i bought an enclosure for this first HD that i removed. i haven't plugged it into my working laptop just yet. waiting to read up a little more before doing so. i'm interested in the photos and home videos that might be on it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 01:09 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I am almost done clearing out my office/craft room. And I've ordered new furniture for the room that will give me a lot of storage options. So now, I just gotta get serious and finish pulling stuff out so I'm ready when the furniture gets here.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 08:15 PM  
fanofladyvols

Laura that's great motivation and very exciting! I hope you take before and after pictures.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 08:26 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Well, I didn't take "before" pictures. I don't think I had any interest in documenting how bad it was. But I may take some "after" pics.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 08:56 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
DH's workplace had an e-waste drive. it kicked me into gear to remove the hard drive (HD) from a very old HP Pavilion desktop, which is probably Windows XP. after watching several youtube videos, it took me a little over an hour. ...
Mind if I ask some questions??

I've got some ancient old computers that I need to get rid of somehow, but the whole process baffles me.

I really don't get it. What am I supposed to do? Disassemble the computer somehow and then do what with the hard drives?

Mine are so old I don't think they're at all compatible with anything truly modern. (Dad ignored the whole problem of what to do with an old computer by never getting rid of any, just shoving them in a closet.)

Before the pandemic I'd briefly been in touch with some sort of charity that would dismantle/destroy old PCs and give you some sort of written proof that the work had been done with respect for privacy concerns and the proper disposal of toxic waste, but I've honestly forgotten who they were.

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter