Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Getting Started with Videos
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-02, 06:23 PM  
fosterjo

Question GOOD circuit training videos?

Does anyone have some suggestions... for circuit training videos, that are effective... I don't mind working hard as long as I will see some results, I think I have muscles under fat layers. Thanks in advance.
fosterjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 09:14 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

Can you give us some examples of what kind of videos you like and tell us what level you are at? It would help us to make better suggestions.

By circuits, you are looking for cardio/weight circuits, right?

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 10:07 PM  
fosterjo

Smile good circuit training vid's

thanks for responding, I would say that I am an intermediate exerciser, been doing it for a little while now and I should expect more from myself, I do firms, although there is a treadmill in the basement(boring)ick.... I could use for pure cardio.... I was reading(on this forum) that one of the best ways to lose that fat covering the muscle would be circuit training. I need something interesting and could you recommend a video w/ good floor work, sorry to slip that in, but I need the help. thanks again
fosterjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 07:54 AM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

Actually, the best way to lose the fat covering the muscle is controlled eating. But that's not an allowable topic here, so I'll go for the Circuit thing.

If you can find them, Gay Gasper's Step-n-Stones I and II are lots of fun. I also enjoy Gin Miller's Circuit Challenge--funky jungle set, great background crew, live music, and Gin's unique personality.

However, for an effective total body routine that includes muscle-building and cardio components, you really can't beat the FIRM for efficiency. Have you challenged yourself with a rotation of different FIRM workouts? You might try it for a few weeks, and see what you think. Mix 'em up.
Old 05-08-02, 08:30 AM  
yafael
VF Supporter

I just want to clarify though. Circuit training means switching off between cardio work and weight training. Interval training, however, is usually entirely cardio, with several short spurts of working yourself much harder than usual. Is it definitely circuit training you want?

I like CIA 2K01 R.A.W. and Fusion. It actually has both circuit and interval training. It doesn't have floorwork (unless you consider pushups, planks, and crunches to be floorwork), but it definitely works the entire body. In addition to weights you need a step and tubing.

Not everyone would agree with that statement that the best way to lose fat covering muscle is through circuit training. It may work for some people, but everyone is different. My belief, backed up by a lot that I've read, is that you need to reduce your calorie intake and step up your cardio. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, so weight training does help, but I don't see why it has to be in circuit training and not on its own. They certainly are no worse than pure strength training videos though! I do circuit training videos regularly because they're fun and they mix things up, but I do just strength often as well. For example, one day I'll do 45 minutes to an hour of cardio and tack on 20 minutes of leg work. Then the next day I'll do cardio again and then tack on arm and ab work at the end.

You might find, like many of us here, that having a healthy eating plan plus a variety of videos with different kinds of workouts (strength, step, circuit, hi/low, kickboxing, strength, endurance, etc.) to pick and choose from will help you get where you want to be.

Deirdre
yafael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 10:43 AM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

One of the toughest circuit videos is Cathe's Circuit Max.

I agree with Barb's suggestions of Reebok/Gin Miller's Circuit Challenge and most Firms are in a circuit format as well.
Old 05-08-02, 02:19 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

Ditto what Deirdre and Barb said about the fat loss.

But, if you want to try circuit work to see if it works for you, RAW is good. G-Force Super Conditioning is good if you can do higher impact. The weight circuits are tubing, so they are kind of different. I don't think it has any of what I would call floor work though.

Body Bar Kickbox Circuit has kickboxing and standing leg circuits.

If you would prefer a cardio interval tape, Kathy Smith's Functionally Fit Peak Fat Burning is really good.

Other than that, I think most of my circuit work is the Firm.

Happy shopping!

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-02, 03:24 PM  
kisuzu

Circuit training

Hi,I'm an advanced male exerciser.I generally workout to Cathe and use heavy heavy weights.I also love circuit training it's fun.One of my favouite tapes is a very basic tape by Keli Roberts.I think it's called Circuit Training.I don't know what it is but is I think it 's the music. I continually go back to this easy tape but instead of the bands I use weights.I have seen incredible results from this tape.The pros say you do not benefit from either strength or cardio.It definetly worked for me.Keli is superb here and this tape shines.
Old 05-10-02, 11:04 PM  
SydneyH

Don't laugh, but I kind of like the new Denise Austin Ultimate Fat Burner Workout for a change of pace. So far every time I do it I feel it all over and I am an intermediate to advancer exerciser. It's definitely worth a look, it is only 45 minutes but it really packs a wallop.
SydneyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-02, 03:32 PM  
Bebop

I love circuit training too - Ditto - I think Denise Austin Ultimate Fat burner is good - but it is more cardio orientated than weight. I also love her Sizzler workout - the weight work is more balanced.

Circuit Max is tough tough tough but a great workout.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sizzler