Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Getting Started with Videos

Old 05-04-02, 06:44 AM  
mgwv

a real beginner with lots of questions

I stumbled onto this site when looking for some info on oof balls. What a gold mine of information!! But I have to admit I am now more confused than ever.

A bit about me -- I am 42 and over the past year my body has really changed. I have gained some weight --up to 118lbs at 5" 3", but mostly I have just gotten very soft and jiggley. YUCK! I have tried the Strong Women Stay Young program, but just couldn't stick with it. I want to loose a few pounds, but mostly want to tone up my arms, stomach, and thighs.

I need something to do at home cause the closest gym is 45 min away. So that brings me to videos. But the selection is so overwhelming. I have young children who homeschool and the regular reasons for needing to spend the least amount of time working out so tapes that are 30 to 45 min have the most chance of fitting my life.

Below is the link to what I was looking at that uses an oof ball. Any thoughts?

http://www.worlddancer.com/videoooof.html

I also have to admit that motivation is an issue. I had just decided that there's no use when I found this site. Maybe there is some hope after.

Thanks much for any tips.
MG
mgwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-02, 07:39 AM  
Denise B
VF Supporter

Welcome!

Hi mgwv,

I started with exercise videos for many of the same reasons you are considering them -- time crunched and homeschooling four children. I had one exercise video and used it for two or three months before I found this site. I was completely overwhelmed with all the information here. And that was five years ago - when VF was much smaller!

My first recommendation would be to check out the Beginners Corner here at VF. There are some excellent tips there and the videos listed will help you narrow down your choices. You don't need a lot of videos to get started -- maybe one strength and one cardio. Then as you can add to your collection depending on your personal needs. (Warning: if you hang out with us too long, your "needs" will drastically change )

The tapes produced by the FIRM may be of interest to you because they are a time efficient way of combining aerobics and strength work. They produced a three tape Basics series a while back, but I don't know about current availability. They recently released a new three tape series. (Perhaps you've seen the informerical?) If you decide that would be of interest to you, please order it through Collage video, because there have been many problems with customer service through the Firm itself.

Speaking of http://www.collagevideo.com/, their site features film clips to give you an idea of what the videos they currently carry are like.

You may also want to visit some of the check-ins here on VF. Posters with common interests post their workouts each week for mutual support. The Beginners, Time-Crunched, and the one for women in their 40s may be of particular interest to you. You can scan those for some more ideas of what videos might work in your situation or just to help keep your motivatation up.

Hopefully someone else will chime in regarding the Oof ball -- that's one piece of equipment I haven't purchased yet. Probably just a matter of time!!

Again, welcome!
Denise B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-02, 08:11 AM  
yafael
VF Supporter

Hi from another homeschooler!

I have a video recommendation, and I am sure you will get more. Karen Voight's Your Personal best is a wonderful beginner's circuit training video, meaning you switch off doing weights and cardio. I love it because of the gorgeous scenery (one scene even has mountain goats frolicking in the background), because the music is pretty good (INXS), and because it's a good workout. You would need two sets of light weights to start with (maybe 3s and 5s although some even start with 2s and 3s). As you get stronger you can increase the weight. The only thing that some people find to be a drawback to this video is that the model Elle McPherson is in it too, and she's a little silly. I like her in it though because Karen Voight in other videos is super serious, and Elle brings out the lightheartedness in her. I had done videos before this one, but this is the one that convinced me that I could really enjoy working out to videos.

You might want to join the beginner's check-in, both in order to keep you on track, but also to compare and get ideas about videos that might be right for you.

In terms of time, I have personally found that working out after my children (3 and 5) are in bed is the best for me. Sometimes I do manage work out while they're up and busy with something. I've actually reserved a computer game for these times. I make sure they're busy and happy with whatever it is and give them a little snack and something to drink. I just have to be willing to accept brief interruptions.

My 5-year-old daughter likes to do beginner yoga videos with me. Something like that might be an option. You can look at it as fulfilling a phys. ed. requirement .

Good luck!
Deirdre
yafael is offline   Reply With Quote