Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-17, 12:22 PM  
muggle

Shaun T- Late to the party

I'm not sure how or why....but I came across Hip Hop Abs by Shaun T. I'm intrigued. I've said before that I'm not a Beachbody kind of person. I don't like infommercials and "kits" made w/ promises. However, I have to admit, there are some workouts from BB that look great. Does anyone have this set? Thoughts? Advanced level? Thanks for any input.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 01:23 PM  
BunnyHop

The production values and visual style of the Beachbody workouts always convince me never to use them. I think I just prefer a more straightforward, right to the point sort of presentation. All the bells, whistles and showmanship eventually just irritate me.
Old 01-25-17, 02:24 PM  
beanpeanut

I am interested in the Hip Hop Abs set also, Amazon had it on a deal of the day special awhile back but the reviews discouraged me because they were mentioning how the Dvds would freeze and that the sound was bad, some dvds I think they said wouldn't even play. I wonder if those problems got resolved? I think I'd like to try this set if it has no playing issues.
beanpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 02:25 PM  
muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
The production values and visual style of the Beachbody workouts always convince me never to use them. I think I just prefer a more straightforward, right to the point sort of presentation. All the bells, whistles and showmanship eventually just irritate me.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I too just want a decent and valid workout that challenges me. If the wkout is to my liking in content and intensity I can ignore outfits, music and atmosphere. Let's face it....I have some OLD wkouts that still put a smile on my face.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 02:38 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
I'm not sure how or why....but I came across Hip Hop Abs by Shaun T. I'm intrigued. I've said before that I'm not a Beachbody kind of person. I don't like infommercials and "kits" made w/ promises. However, I have to admit, there are some workouts from BB that look great. Does anyone have this set? Thoughts? Advanced level? Thanks for any input.
HHA is BB's answer to Leslie Sansone.

if you want simple moves, fun instructor, good music, and zero comments about Shakeology, this is the set for you. I see this set cheaply both online and in thrift/used book stores. in fact, I had no interest in it until I happened upon it one day at a neighbor's garage sale.

later on, I acquired the HHA Dance Party series (2 separate discs) and one of them uses 1# weights very creatively. Leslie Sansone needs to take notes from Shaun here.

I pretty much ignore any and all marketing hype and use the workouts as part of my own rotation. Consistency is my rotation, in other words.

people might find HHA somewhat cheesy because of the dance vibe that goes along with it, but if it gets you to move, why not?

l saw one of the HHA workouts on youtube in case you want to try before you buy. not sure if it was taken down since then. there's also a tag search on VF under:

HHA

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 04:13 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

HHA is a fun set, I always smile while doing it, I also think it is a bit more intense than Leslie, I always get a sweat with HHA, with Leslie not that much (I love Leslie btw). HHA level 2 is more intense, I was puffin and huffing doing that one a while back.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 05:38 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
HHA is a fun set, I always smile while doing it, I also think it is a bit more intense than Leslie, I always get a sweat with HHA, with Leslie not that much (I love Leslie btw). HHA level 2 is more intense, I was puffin and huffing doing that one a while back.
I ordered HHA from QVC years ago, tried it, then returned it. I did not get a good workout with it--not even low intensity. I get a great workout with Leslie Sansone's workouts. YMMV

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 11:39 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I didn't like HHA. Although the moves are basic, the cueing was not great. I got too frustrated and got rid of the set.

I do like Shaun's Rockin' Body. The cueing is much better. I really like the modifier. (I forget her name.) She is also in HHA.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 02:16 PM  
leigh1673

I've only tried Hip Hop Abs semi-recently after getting Beachbody on Demand. It was never on my radar and I had no prior interest in it, but something made me try it one day. Um, turns out that I really like it! It's fun, gets the heart rate up somewhat, and when I make an effort to keep my stomach pulled in (or "tilt, tuck, and tighten") really feel it in my abs/core.

The cardio from the 2nd set of workouts (the "advanced" I guess?) is much more challenging than the original set. But the original ones are nice for days when you are short on time, low on energy, etc.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 03:28 PM  
Titus2woman

~I think it looks like fun~

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hha, hip hop abs, rockin' body, shaun t