Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-09-12, 08:17 PM  
Kathleen Ann

What would you take with?

My husband is retireing at the end of the year. His DREAM is to buy a motorhome and tour the country!!!!!!!!!! My first thought as a VIDIOT was 'What exercise dvd's would I take?!'

Most of what I have does not take a lot of room but I don't think I want to take my step. My trampoline folds. I have a small FIRM step. All these decisions

Oh my. Has anyone ever done this? It sounds exciting but yet scarry.
Old 07-09-12, 08:52 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Ann View Post
My husband is retireing at the end of the year. His DREAM is to buy a motorhome and tour the country!!!!!!!!!! My first thought as a VIDIOT was 'What exercise dvd's would I take?!'

Most of what I have does not take a lot of room but I don't think I want to take my step. My trampoline folds. I have a small FIRM step. All these decisions

Oh my. Has anyone ever done this? It sounds exciting but yet scarry.
Might be a good time to get into workouts like P57, Classical Stretch, Yoga, where you just need a mat, light weights, and maybe a chair.
Old 07-09-12, 08:55 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i would take kettlebells & a bike
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 09:06 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

hmm my rebounder doesn't fold but it'd be going if I had to use it as furniture! I'd also put every dvd I liked on my laptop(if I could) so I wouldn't have to take them with me. I think it'd be nice to bounce on my trampoline outdoors esp if the rv park is in a nice wooded area or scenic area! I'd probably want to do some walking too and explore the area - not like here at home where it's boring! maybe some weights or stretchie bands. are you planning on staying gone the whole time or having a house to store your stuff and come back to from time to time? that would make a difference to me in what I took.
Old 07-09-12, 09:12 PM  
Belle de Jour

My life has shifted dramatically and I'm hoping to be traveling around in the future. That's been one of many factors in my decisions on exercise. Luckily I've been preferring yoga, Essentrics, and non-weighted routines. I think I will be keeping to this from now on. They're very easy to adapt to any location (no impact, no choreography, etc).
Belle de Jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 03:40 AM  
bearcatfan

Would you still keep a home base or would you be selling everything and staying indefinitely? My husband mentioned this, too, until he realized he'd have to get rid of a lot of stuff.

Anyway, you could try bands. I've always liked the different challenge of band work (I like Beachbody's overpriced B-lines, lol). There might be a modification here or there needed, but I think 99 percent of any weight workout can be done with bands.

Your Firm step could double as a step stool, or vice versa. From what I've read, the key to RV-ing is double duty.

If you are going to keep home base and go back every couple weeks/months, just take what you need. If this is a permanent thing, you might want to check out some of the "how I organize my dvds/equipment" threads to read about different zippered cases, etc.
Old 07-10-12, 06:45 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I travel back and forth from Florida to NY. I have a zippered case that holds many dvds. This also allows me to cull the collection now and then. The only issue is that I can't always trade because I don't have the original cases with me all of the time. Good luck!!
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 06:51 AM  
fit44

I would take our bowflex dumbbells, my high step with 4 risers, and my favorite weight lifting, tonique, squeeze, turbo barre type workouts. I would leave my cardio workouts behind because I could do hiking and sprints for cardio.
Another cool idea would be to visit fitness clubs all over my travels.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 07:02 AM  
alisoncooks

I have a friend whose family sold most of their possessions last year and are traveling the country indefinitely in a motor home. What she's been doing is running/trail-running for cardio and hitting up local gyms for weights/yoga. She blogs about it and it looks like fun, trying out all these new gyms/fitness clubs (on a day pass or week pass, what have you), meeting new people.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 07:31 AM  
ellenalesa

Body weight workouts

I love body weight workouts because they don't require any equipment. I think they also tend to be more gentle, so you can do them for the long term.

Yoga mat, light weights, stability ball and pump so you can de/reinflate as needed, sneakers and hiking boots. I also like to have therabands or something like them for stretching.

Good luck!
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
small space, travel, travel workouts, traveling