Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-02, 01:51 PM  
rosemary

Question Do You Consider Yourself Fit?

I know there are all levels of exercisers here at VF. Just wondering, how many of your consider yourself fit - realizing of course that fitness is an ongoing journey...there are always new goals to set, new videos to conquer...new measures of performance. But how many of you feel you've achieved a significant level of fitness and that much of what you do maintains that level or presents a challenge beyond? And if so, how do you measure what you've achieved or how do recognize your fitness -is it in functional performance in your every day life -hoisting groceries...running after the dog...just making it through the day or in your workout performance...a higher step, more weight...the feeling you have when you're done. Personally, I don't consider myself fit, however, I do have moments of enlightenment...when I feel good about something I am able to accomplish in the course of a day or the way I feel after a workout or getting through a workout with more weights or more intensity. How about you?
rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 02:03 PM  
tlcoles
VF Supporter

Yes and no

I started the year with a specific weight goal because, at the time, I was 60 pounds over the recommended range for my height. Hey, that's just the upper target of the range! I have learned some things since then (e.g. BMI, muscle vs. fat weight), but I don't think I will feel completely fit until I shed the now remaining 40 pounds to reach my range.

That said, I feel more fit today then I have in years, including the year in which I did the AIDS Ride and weighed less! I have much better endurance, I eat right most of the time and have a clear picture of when I eat wrong, my asthma is totally under control, I can run a mile without dying, I have greater flexibility, etc. etc. If fitness is a journey than I am "fit, with plenty of room for improvement along the way."

Tammi
Old 05-07-02, 02:27 PM  
Caroline Kim
VF Supporter

Interesting question. I consider myself to be fit because I exercise regularly and do a mix of cardio, strength and flexibility. I have built my cardio endurance and can get through most Cathe tapes (but Mindy still gets me!) I have increased my strength both in weight lifting and in daily activities. I believe that increasing my core strength has started to improve my posture. And I believe that exercise plus a (usually) reasonable diet has kept me in good health.

But I'm still striving to improve my fitness. I still have aspirations to reduce my body fat, have more muscle definition, do a real pull-up, increase my flexibility, etc. It's definitely an ongoing journey but I am able to enjoy the benefits of being active - and of sharing the joy with other VFers!
Old 05-07-02, 02:34 PM  
yafael
VF Supporter

Interesting question

I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

I am not at my weight goal, have plenty of flab, my core is fairly weak, I know I will be able to lift more weights eventually, etc. However, I would consider myself "fit."

My view is that fit doesn't mean thin or buff or super strong. I see it as meaning that one is physically able to face the physical challenges life throws in one's way. And I am at this level.

I can be active all day without it taking too much out of me. If someone suggested going for a hike or a bike ride out of the blue, my fitness level wouldn't stop me. I walk everywhere and push 35-lb. kids and heavy groceries in strollers up steep hills. That is what I need to be able to do in my life, and I can do it.

Deirdre
yafael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 02:40 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Talking Yes.

That's an easy one. In my opinion, almost anybody who exercises 3X a week or more, incorporating strength, cardio and flexibility at least verges on being "fit".
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 02:52 PM  
rosemary

I agree - fit isn't weight driven

I don't think weight has anything to do with fitness. I think fitness is defined by performance, ability to function efficiently in life, good aerobic capacity, strength, flexibility and endurance. I recently saw a doctor on TV who was discussing a recent study that indicates the single biggest factor in aging and health was exercise. He said he'd rather see someone a bit overweight but active than thin and sedentary. I think in that regard VF'ers have been onto something long before everyone else!
rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 02:56 PM  
horsemom2

I feel like Wonder Woman now when compared to where I started

I have been working out for only 3 years and three years ago the word *fit* sure didn't fit me. I was 50 going on 60, maybe 70.
Not just overweight but every joint in my body was screaming.
It is amazing how much more energy and endurance I have now and so much less pain

Barb S
who wishes I could infect others with the joys of workingout who seem to be vegetating as I used to cuz life is too short to not live it to the fullest
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 03:05 PM  
ErinF
Exchange Moderator

Yes

I can chase my beagle over hill and dale when she gets out and tries to catch every rabbit in town ( and there are lots of them! ). I can play with my kids without needing a nap afterward. We can go for long walks as a family. When things need to be moved, whether furniture or groceries, I can either do it myself, or be a significantly contributing member of the team. I can pick any workout off my shelf and feel good about how I did in that workout, whether I finished it without modifying or not. (Okay, that one speaks more to mental fitness than physical. ) My point is that it isn't how much I do or don't work out that defines me as being fit, or what kinds of workouts I do. It's the ability to do the things I want and need to do without hurting myself or making myself sick. The rest is just the hot fudge on the sundae. ( Which BELIEVE ME, I don't minimize the importance of. )

DISCLAIMER: I appeared as a background exerciser in a Patrick Goudeau step video. Impartiality in regard to his workouts, or any those of any other instructor with complex choreography, is NOT guaranteed!
ErinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 03:05 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Yes, I do consider myself fit.

One guage for me is comparing myself to my contemporaries. At my age (45), so many are letting themselves just ease into that middle age spread and lazy lifestyle that will just completely take over.

I know that I have much more endurance than I've ever had. I remember when I started Volume 1 all those years ago and I thought I would pass out before I finished. Now, I can get through it with heavy weights. I was also a walker before, now I run. Things like this prove to me that I've come a long way.... and I don't intend to stop either. I want to be 75-80 years old and still MOVING!!

Jeanne
Jeanne Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 04:08 PM  
martonia

Unhappy

Hmmm... That depends. I break "fitness" down into four components: strength, flexibility, aerobic capability, and mental/emotional wellbeing. At any given moment, I'm usually falling down in one (if not two) of these categories! A long time ago, I did weight-training religiously, but only a little stretch and no cardio -- and I smoked 2 packs a day -- so, although I looked fairly buff, I didn't have any puff. (As for emotional health, fuggedaboudit!) That's not true fitness; it's just cosmetic. Now I'm working on getting it together on all levels.
(P.S. - the cigarettes went by the wayside 15 years ago, and I took up yoga; that alone made a 1000% difference.)