Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-20, 06:04 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Good question. I have DVDs I don't use as often as I used to for whatever reason, they are too long, they have too much standing lower body work, or some other reason. Yet, I don't want to let them go because I may regret it later. And if I do, some I am not going to be able to find again.

I don't have a huge collection (around 70-75) and I have the space to store them all. I think I may put the ones I am unsure about in a closet and see if I reach for them in a year. If they don't then I need to potentially let them go. But I have grown tired of holding onto things that I don't use or don't use often.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 07:05 AM  
Rhonda

I have gotten rid of ones that I have just had laying around for months/years and never touched them. Figured if I haven't used them in that timeframe, then I don't need them.

I have way too many workouts and ones I am not sure of are the FIRM, Cathe, some yoga. I keep going through them and thinking I won't do this but afraid to get rid of it just in case. I have a lot of spinning ones that I haven't done in a few years as I am just not into spinning as much as I used to be but nope haven't gotten rid of those.

I will continue to get rid of some it just may take me a while to talk myself into ones I won't use. It is hard to part with them, at least for me it is.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 07:18 AM  
bubbles76

I'm purging, but also acquiring more. Hence, my collection is not really getting smaller ha! I came into the home fitness game pretty late. So much interests me. My problem is that just because I don't visit a dvd in years doesn't mean I don't still love it. Or something that I didn't love right away I love it later. My collection is HUGE, but I know we'll be moving eventually so I worry about space. Plus, it just makes me uncomfortable having so much. I don't know why. Too much of anything makes me feel cluttered and I feel the need to get rid of stuff.

I don't feel like I have any "meh" workouts around. I have too many untried workouts around. Particularly barre, kettlebell, bellydance, and pilates. I've dabbled in these types of workouts, but haven't committed.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 07:41 AM  
fanofladyvols

I have no intention of pairing my collection down considerably because I need and want the variety. I keep exploring new ways to approach my movement and I am enjoying myself.

However, I DO want to make sure those that ARE in the collection are ones I intend to use. Otherwise, I want them to be available for someone who will want to try them. I'm thinking I'll just continue to evaluate categories of my collection each month. It seems to be working and I have had no regrets with the ones I have purged.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 08:19 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I've regretted pretty much every dvd I've ever purged because then I find myself in a different life stage years later and want it back. And some of them are getting hard to find! So now I keep everything unless I hate it (miked background exercisers, for instance).
Old 02-11-20, 10:38 AM  
Garrie A.

I'm a hoarder. LOL! I have no intentions of purging anything. Most DVDs are going by the way of the dodo bird, and I've had seller's and trader's remorse more times than I care to count.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 10:57 AM  
Vantreesta

Same here, I pretty much keep everything. There have been a few that were so awful IMO that I did get rid of them but that's rare. I've been adding to my collection from thrift stores. The only bad thing about that is that my collection is so huge that sometimes I accidentally buy duplicates I forgot I had.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 10:59 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Exactly. In the past few months I've gotten rid of hundreds of workouts, and I'm still purging. If they're too long, too hard, too short, too boring, annoying, ineffective, whatever...they're gone. I'm only keeping workouts that bring a smile to my face and my body, and happily I'm left with plenty.
Gina, that is a great goal!

I tried a little of one dance dvd this morning and decided to keep it. The other one I Joni 'oed in less than three minutes I found the instructor really annoying and knew I would never use it.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 11:09 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I can't bring myself to purge anything out of my collection, and I'm not a hoarder by any means. Every few months I box the DVDs I intend to get rid of and put them in the garage, but somehow over the next several months they make their way back into my workout room. Heck, I still have the original VHS Firms and I haven't owned VHS player in years.
Old 02-11-20, 12:13 PM  
Fitstick

I never purge but was running out of space! I boxed up some DVDs that I either haven’t used in a long time or didn’t like. Some I knew I would not miss and some I was not sure. I went through them again and kept some that were iffy for now and donated the rest. I have a great collection of really good DVDs so ones that don’t click with me don’t make sense to hang onto.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downsizing, purging, purging dvds