Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-20, 04:01 PM  
Malia

I loved Downton Abby. I would watch that again. I put Gosford Park (and so many of the other suggestions) on the list.

Gams - want to move in for a little while and bring your movies with you so I can catch up on This is Us and some of my other shows that I'm missing?
Malia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 04:03 PM  
Gams

No problem - I think your dad and I would like the same movies, except if I like a movie, I have no problem watching it over and over again.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 04:14 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I think I’d get along great with him. Some good WWII movies:

From Here to Eternity
The Great Escape
D-Day the Sixth of June
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
Patton

Does he like westerns?

There are a ton of John Wayne westerns. Also, The Magnificent Seven is good.

Also:

The Last of the Mohicans
Papillon
The Jesse Stone movies
Alfred Hitchcock movies?
Bullitt

I have most of these so send him on over!
omg, this is DH's video library title collections! he's a john wayne, jimmy stewart, tom selleck, clint eastwood, shirley macclaine, grace kelly, and audrey hepburn fan!

on TV, Blue Bloods is my husband's favorite show (Tom Selleck, Mark Wahlberg (yes, marky mark of 80s fame, now an actor), and me being a non-TV person, it converted me to fanhood. Blue Bloods is a cop show, and the old seasons can be watched non-stop on certain nights on one of the "rerun" channels. current season with new shows are on CBS, Friday nights.

John Wayne - in addition to what Gams mentioned, Donovan's Reef is a good one.

Hitchcock: Rear Window (grace kelly, jimmy stewart)

war movies that are pretty good (even for women):

Joyeus Noel (true story)
Dunkirk (true story)
Darkest Hour (true story - winston churchill; stars Gary Oldman who won an oscar)

i also watch Forensic Files - it's a really old "true crime" show and now on the re-run channels somewhere. they're reviving the series with new content on Feb 20, 2020.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 04:40 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Have you seen Pleasantville? One of my all-time favorite movies and seems in line with what you've mentioned. Another sweet, quirky, and very underrated film is Lars and the Real Girl (no cursing or sex).

The Shawshank Redemption is a great movie that seems to appeal to almost everyone and that I could re-watch forever.

Does your dad like music? A recent fun film was Yesterday, about a world without Beatles music.

Just a heads up, BlackKklansman has a lot of swearing that is not necessarily central to the plot (good movie though).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 04:52 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malia View Post
Fishing stuff - my dad was a huge fisherman. For some reason he doesn't like to watch fishing on TV (if I was to psycho-analyze him I'd say it makes him too sad that he can't do it anymore).
I've actually never seen this movie, but A River Runs Through It?

And while I'm on Brad Pitt, if your dad likes sports/baseball, Moneyball is a very engaging film.

Another of my own personal favorites is a sweet, fairy-tale like under-rated M. Night Shyamalan film, Lady in the Water.

And randomly, here are a couple of favorite movies of my in-laws, who are in their mid-70s:
While You Were Sleeping
American Grafitti

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 04:56 PM  
BunnyHop

Are the PBS series likely to interest him?

They don't ALL appeal to me, but I do find most of their mystery series to be good. Lately I've really liked Endeavor (Inspector Morse as a young man in the sixties) Plus, they have programming on all sorts of other subjects, cooking, documentaries, etc.

One thing I do like about vintage movies (black and white, mostly) is that they have actual scripts and you can follow the story just by the words they say, you aren't trapped staring at the screen so you don't miss some visual detail. Well, most of the time. I'm a fan of All about Eve.

Network-wise, I do like the dramas on CBS. Blue Bloods is reliable.

Oh, and maybe double check the library for dvds. They've got a lot of documentaries, too.

Late in his life my dad got in the habit of watching the David Attenborough programs at night when he couldn't sleep.
Old 01-25-20, 05:01 PM  
Malia

Thanks for the heads up on Black Klansman. I don't watch a lot of movies so I'm not familiar with many of these (but I do like the awards shows and I remember that winning or being nominated for something)

I would like to see Yesterday - I will put it on the list and see what he says. I wanted to see A Star is Born and he vetoed that one for whatever reason.
Malia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 05:07 PM  
tamib

Movies:

Secondhand Lions (Robert Duvall, Haley Joel Osment)
Open Range (Kevin Costner) Range War so there is violence
Lonesome Dove (Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones) 12 hour mini series
The Sixth Sense
Maudie- Story of folk artist Maud Lewis

I loved the series China Beach but I'm not sure if it's on streaming, we don't do streaming.
Father Brown Mysteries
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 05:49 PM  
anetta

I like the series Longmire on Netflix

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 06:27 PM  
Mickey12

If he liked the Walton’s, how about old tv shows Little House on the Prairie or Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman? Both were on for many seasons. How about Bonanza? That one was on for eons too.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote