Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-18, 09:06 PM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I have to note that Anna Benson had a large impact on my workouts.
This year Cathe with her Fit Tower Series was a surprise winner for me.
Tracie Long volumes core and metabolic strength 3&4 were also winners for me.
So... Cathe and Tracie.
Close behind were the group from CodyApp
Old 01-01-18, 09:40 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

The two instructors who had the most impact on my fitness life in 2017 are J. Brown and Jane Adams. The two of them have smoothed my transition in my workouts now that I can't rely on studio Pilates as the base of my regimen.

For the first time in 15 years I'm living somewhere where I don't have access to a Pilates studio for twice a week sessions, much less to the level of instructor I'm used to with the one I had in Seattle and the one I can still see about every other month in California. Since I have arthritis in my hands and a couple of old injuries that have come back to haunt me in ways that require modifications by a knowledgeable instructor and using the equipment, I decided it was wiser not to build a home Pilates practice.

Instead, I want to do yoga and Qi gong daily. I've already figured out that Lee Holden is my instructor when it comes to Qi Gong. I think he may be my instructor of the year for 2018 with his new workout series.

But I have never done much yoga on any kind of regular basis. I found Jane Adam's Gentle Yoga first and it was just what I needed to get started. Then I heard about J. Brown. His DVD is just perfect for me, at least through the half hour practice, which is designed to be achievable by most practitioners and is slow and breath-based. I aspire to the full hour workout but I'll be fine if I decide it just has more than my arthritic hands can do without causing more problems than it solves. I've also found that, though I'd love to find one more practice that works as well for me, I can be perfectly satisfied with these two DVDs. Who'd a thunk it? J's recommendation to find a practice that works for your needs and do that one daily really does work for me. Jane's DVD has lots of shorter segments I can also do as I'm able and nothing that bothers my hands or other problem spots while leaving me feeling better than before. Several of hers are favorites. Both instructors fill needs in the yoga world that are not easy to satisfy. And I thank them.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 10:02 PM  
YogaGal

While I've been doing her workouts for years, Jessica Smith workouts dominated my 2017 and will likely continue into 2018. With all of her YouTube workouts and so many dvds, I can choose easy or challenging Jessica workouts. So much variety in intensity and length, and no dread factor. I love working out with Jessica, Peanut, Debbie, and Beth.

Last spring I purchased the 30 Day Plan and in November I got her latest, Walk Strong 3 which is great for challenging me, but I can follow Debbie when I need to.

My runner up would be KCM, but I have to claim Jessica as my favorite!
Old 01-01-18, 11:54 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

Fifteen years ago I would have said Cathe. However when her Hardcores came out and I posted a negative opinion on her forum of only one workout per disc (which all of us here disliked), she kicked me off her forum. I never got over that. I have all of her stuff from then on save the Fit Splits, I just didn't get it from her. I can't always work out to them because it left me with a bad taste. I'm not giving my money to someone who can't take honest criticism.

But because of that, I found others that I like better. I absolutely love Les Mills. Body Combat and Grit are favorites. Body Jams are the best dance workouts although they do take a lot of my mental focus. Their music cannot be beat although the newer ones seem to not be as good. I have a permanent back issue and I cannot say enough good things about CX Works when I do them regularly.

Part of this year I did a heavy kettlebell rotation. For those, I absolutely adore Lauren Brooks and the old Art of Strength, Providence, Newport and Santa Monica, with a side of Tracy Reifkind.

Currently I have been on a HUGE Barlates kick. I have never sweated so much in my bare feet. Some days I just don't feel like putting on my shoes and jumping around. What Linda Wooldrige is up to is just so refreshing. She pairs so nicely with the Dream Body ladies.

And I've got to give a shout out to Millionaire Hoy. He and Linda are so generous with all their free YouTube content. So thanks to them for that along with Jessica Smith and all the other YouTubers out there. I appreciate your generosity!

Wow, there really is so much variety out there. There's plenty of other instructors too. There really is an exercise for any personality. Glad we have all found what we like and actually do it.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 02:57 AM  
daisyfit

Cathe workouts for me have always been outstanding and I always go back to her after other instructors. She's my instructor of the year.
daisyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 08:48 AM  
dnna

jane adams . She kept me moving through the year of pain, which I hope is over. I did Chair yoga for seniors , the first and easiest, and gentle yoga lying down and computer relief for the entire year. and weirdly I look great ( for me) and moving kept me going.
a shout out to Susan Tuttle arthritis relief chair workout, and her other chair workouts. I was afraid to start but found them doable. now I can breeze though. Doing one every afternoon.
also started up with a 1 mile walk, no particular instructor, but so glad I can do a mile and like a variety of instructors here.'so:
Jane Adams, thank you.
Susan Tuttle, have a blessed day and thank you ( as she says at the end f the workout)
my program:
1 mile walk, yoga with Jane AM
Susan Tuttle chair workout, PM
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 09:33 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
jane adams . She kept me moving through the year of pain, which I hope is over. I did Chair yoga for seniors , the first and easiest, and gentle yoga lying down and computer relief for the entire year. and weirdly I look great ( for me) and moving kept me going.
a shout out to Susan Tuttle arthritis relief chair workout, and her other chair workouts. I was afraid to start but found them doable. now I can breeze though. Doing one every afternoon.
also started up with a 1 mile walk, no particular instructor, but so glad I can do a mile and like a variety of instructors here.'so:
Jane Adams, thank you.
Susan Tuttle, have a blessed day and thank you ( as she says at the end f the workout)
my program:
1 mile walk, yoga with Jane AM
Susan Tuttle chair workout, PM
So glad you found something that worked for you! I love that Jane Adams computer relief practice too, and it's been too long since I've done one of her practices.

Seriously, you should email both Jane and Susan and tell them what a difference they've made in your life - they would appreciate it. I can guarantee you'll get a response from Jane.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 12:05 PM  
cindyw75

This is tough for me. I only workout with Jessica Smith and Cathe. They're the only instructors I enjoy working out with consistently. I've tried many others, but typically I bench them and go back to Jessica and Cathe. I would say that Jessica eeks out the win for me, because even on those days when I just really don't want to workout, I can find something in her collection of workouts that I can do...whether it's a fusion workout, or a good stretch, there's something of hers I'll enjoy doing.
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 12:25 PM  
Jules

My vote goes to Les Mills on Demand! I also did a lot of Cathe and Studio Sweat spin workouts in 2017. I plan to do more of the same in 2018. The one change I would make is to add more yoga this year - I do have Travis Eliot's 30 for 30 so it should be doable.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 12:30 PM  
deineira

This thread highlights how all over the place I am, as I don't have one super obvious answer.

I think Michelle Dozois and Tracie Long are my instructors of the year. They are two that I've worked out with in the past off and on but I gained a new appreciation for what they do this year.

I am always going to be a Cathe gal and I was happy to have some new workouts from her last year as well. I always go back to Cathe Live but don't keep a subscription all the time. It's my comfort food.

I tried to get into some other new folks this year, but Michelle and Tracie are probably in the lead for me.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote