Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-17, 09:45 PM  
Diana3271

Body Pump at the gym

Does anyone take Body Pump at the Gym? I have been working out on my own with DVD's for many years now. I joined the gym with a friend of mine recently. Our main goal was to be able to exercise together on the weekend. During the Fall and Winter we were walking outdoors. That is not an option in the Summer here. She was also wanting to incorporate a few more workouts during the week to improve her overall health. So, we did 2 Body Pump classes in a week. I was sore for 7-10 days, maybe longer. It was ridiculous how sore I was. I was mainly sore across the chest area. I don't do much chest work because it causes me to have neck pain, and I workout in my office and I don't want to get on the floor. The DOMS really did a number on me. I'm not sure what to do this week or from here on out. I really like classes because of the motivation. But I don't like getting DOMS like that. I didn't use heavy weights so I can drop down in weight. Has anyone done Body Pump at the gym and saw benefits? I'm trying to figure out if I should continue with Body Pump or just do weights on my own and focus on cardio at the gym. I love all the opportunities the gym has to offer, but I would like to get in a set schedule. Anyone else been here? TIA for your thoughts.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 05:53 AM  
Dabbadooey

I really, really don't like body pump. For me it is too shoulder intensive. I also cringe when I watch a class because the instructors don't walk around and correct form.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 07:59 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I did BodyPump at a local gym a few years back (sorry we belong to a RetroFitness that doesn't offer it now). But I do remember being extremely sore in my quadriceps. Like it hurt to move for about 5 days and then it was just sore for a couple more days. I went back after that week and the soreness wasn't as bad each time I did it.

I think it's the change up in your routine that's causing you so much DOMS. Give it a little longer and try another class.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 11:43 AM  
Diana3271

Thank you for the replies. Today's class at the gym is Body Pump. Maybe I should try again but with the lightest weight on the bar.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 05-08-17, 12:47 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Thank you for the replies. Today's class at the gym is Body Pump. Maybe I should try again but with the lightest weight on the bar.
That's what I'd do. Lower the intensity, and see how you feel.

Just recently I made the mistake of raising the intensity of my workouts just a little too fast, and, wow, did I feel it in my pecs. Yikes.
Old 05-08-17, 12:49 PM  
andtckrtoo

I find that if I introduce a new kind of workout, I'll get really sore. But after a time or two of doing it, my muscles get used to it, and I'm okay. I really love the PUMP! DVD's. I do well with higher reps. I'd say go lighter, get used to the moves and have fun.
Old 05-08-17, 02:05 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I find that if I introduce a new kind of workout, I'll get really sore. But after a time or two of doing it, my muscles get used to it, and I'm okay. .
This is what I was thinking. You just aren't used to that particular kind of movement/intensity. But changing things up is what gets the best results. The longevity of your DOMS however, makes me thing you should lower your weights next time, and then gradually increase as you do it more.
Old 05-08-17, 02:08 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I also do Bodypump at the gym and love it. It is totally different than traditional weight lifting. I suggest lighter weights and also not doing all of the reps in areas that bother you- so just sit out some of the chest work and shoulder work. Or use more weight but do it more traditional lifting style- do ten, rest, do ten more, etc. Add in a few more each time.

I work through DOMs because for me, doing nothing makes it a lot worse. I'd also take an ibuprofen or aspirin after class. (do not take this advice if you have health challenges )
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 07:43 PM  
Diana3271

Thank you for all your replies. I did Body Pump at the gym today. I lowered my weight. We'll see how it goes. I love the music and find the classes motivating.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 05-10-17, 04:29 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

I'm going off on a tangent a bit, but I'm curious. How long do you do the same routine (in weeks/sessions)? I take a Body Pump spin-off, and we do the same routine for 8 weeks and I get terribly bored by about week 4.
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote