Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-17, 11:16 AM  
sherry7899

gladgirl-I also had the "what have I done" thought when I saw the huge box on my porch.

I will try the water test this weekend and move on from there.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 11:38 AM  
gladgirl

Christine, that recipe for Saag sounds wonderful. How is saag used? Not at all familiar with Indian cooking. It looks like a dip from the photo. Or can you use it as a sauce for other things? Thank you for posting the recipe.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 01:16 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I love my Instant Pot. I was initially afraid of it and it sat in my drawer in the kitchen. Wow, though, I started using it and have made amazing food. Love it.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 01:17 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
This! And I make this recipe at least once a week. Sometimes I add cooked chicken, sometimes chickpeas, but no Indian restaurant makes one that tastes this good.

http://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-...essure-cooker/
I will try this recipe. We love Indian food here and our fave is palak paneer.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 04:34 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Sherrie, I have no idea why Amazon overpacked the instapot, but the actual device is not much bigger than my last crockpot.

My first thing is going to be hard boiled eggs. I can be really absent minded, so this will be good even if it doesn't save a ton of time. I like my toaster oven for the same reason. They turn off even if I forget (and my flat iron).

I had a stovetop pressure cooker that I used for a couple years, so I'm comfortable with pressure cooking. I really like this one does a number of things, plus I don't have to think about it too much.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 05:42 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
Christine, that recipe for Saag sounds wonderful. How is saag used? Not at all familiar with Indian cooking. It looks like a dip from the photo. Or can you use it as a sauce for other things? Thank you for posting the recipe.
Saag is a side dish or a main dish. You can serve it over rice, or with naan, or both.
Old 01-27-17, 11:14 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Ok I saw the thread and was like wow! I didn't know that we can talk about that on this board lol.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-17, 08:34 AM  
Malia

Well, I made my first recipe last night (and yes, I too was shocked at the size of the box that it arrived in - couldn't imagine what it was at first).

Anyway, I did a chicken chili recipe that I normally do on the stove. I think I will stick to the stove for that particular recipe, but I'm still glad I tried it. First off I started it 3 hours before dinner like I normally do so it sat on warm for probably 2 hours. My husband kept going in and relieving the pressure (he was convinced on the stew setting that it wouldn't go into pressure mode but it did). I didn't adapt the recipe at all which I guess was my first mistake - it turned out kind of watery because it didn't reduce and thicken up. My son thought the flavor was off too but it might just be because it was watery-er than normal. I did open up about an hour before dinner hoping it would help it reduce a little, but on the keep warm setting it never got hot enough to make a difference.

I'm still glad I got it and look forward to more recipes, though!
Malia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-17, 08:49 AM  
CarlaVeg

I have the instant pot and I have used only twice both with terrible results. I guess I was tying to make my beef stew the same way make in the stove top and it was a total soupy mess. Same thing wit my roast.....

Please share your awesome recipes with me.... I need to use it

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-17, 09:35 AM  
Lannette

It's really important to decrease liquids and I cut the cooking time in half. I typically am making soups and stews though so that may be the difference. I have split pea soup cooking right now. The website has some good guidelines. They also have recipes.
I started with recipes and then as I got the hang of the differences started to convert our favorites and even convert new recipes I find.

This will sound odd but DH and I were talking about buying a second updated pot and keeping them both. We make everything we eat from scratch. I have a yogurt maker and would love to get rid of it and just use the instant pot. I can seriously see us having two pots going simultaneously on weekends since we do the majority of our cooking then.

If you like cooked greens (kale, collard, chard) they are melt in your mouth, to die for in the instant pot!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instant pot