Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-16, 12:14 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I adhere to "eyes on my own workout" at the gym, but it can be hard, especially with so many people doing kettlebell swings using the squat-and-raise method. I even see trainers teaching that Thankfully, most aren't that bad. One time a trainer teaching a kb class was explaining a hip hinge, and she pointed over to me and said that was a great example of a hip hinge. That made my day

I've found the vast majority at Lifetime are also too busy doing their own thing to gawk at or bother other people. Maybe it's the time I go; I think the late-night and early-morning exercisers are the more serious ones who want to get in and get out rather than socialize.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-16, 02:26 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I'm glad to hear that you took the plunge, Abbe!

My son put me on his membership last year around this time. It was the cheapest way to go. I didn't have to pay the initiation fees, and the owner, who is also a good friend of my sons, put us on the senior plan. LOL! So it is an extra $17.50 a month for me to be on his account.

I really didn't utilize it much for a few months. I mainly went in for extra leg work. In January, I started going up to 5-6 days a week in the afternoons, and doing my strength workouts there. It's really been the best thing that I've done for myself, mentally.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-16, 04:21 PM  
seabliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I always felt that way when I saw people using poor form in the gym. I rarely said anything because some people don't want to be corrected. It is probably better to tune it out. The Y sounds good, since it offers the classes and has pools. Do you think you will join?
I definitely would never say anything to anyone. It's not my personality to do so, and I feel like doing so unasked would be really obnoxious. But I know it will bother me to see it. I too feel like I'm watching ineffectiveness and an injury waiting to happen!

We will probably join. They have great free kids' care (up to age 14), all kinds of classes for kids for either free or cheap, and of course, a lot of classes for adults, although I'm not sure how good they are. But having access to heavier free weights and cable machines that I don't have at home would be great. And it was DH's idea. Anything we can do to get him more active is a good idea!
Old 05-28-16, 05:33 PM  
Betty Boop

I have been following this thread with great interest. Many years ago I joined the large athletic club here. While not that close to my house, it had lots of classes and other amenities. But, as time went on, I wasn’t doing the things that made me join — like the Nia classes and being able to swim at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday morning. But I ’graduated’ into the senior membership fee tier, and so I kept on as a member. Well this spring, I decided that I better start using it some more instead of just paying out $ every month. A week ago I was off on Friday and decided to try the 9:00 a.m. Hip Hop Latin Spice class. It was wall to wall people, so I opted to walk/jog on the track. It’s a nice cushioned track with three lanes — walk-walk/run-run. They pipe in music; I found it pleasant and energizing. Then I went downstairs and shot some baskets (well tried to). I had a great time. So today I went back, was too late for the Nia class, walked, did the basketball thing and then did 1/2 of a Zumba class. I’m used to doing workouts at my own speed, taking breaks, and my Zumba dvds seem to take a break after each selection. The Zumba class at the club went at a frenetic pace from song to song, using the space available in the group exercise room. I wiped out after 30 minutes. The club has all sorts of activities, but there has been an increase, IMO, in the number of people who are taking fitness very seriously. I’m going to continue going — being around people felt good. (I do need to seriously upgrade my fitness wear, and made a start with a purchase at the club’s pro shop today. I had a 25% off coupon. )
Old 05-28-16, 10:24 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
I have been following this thread with great interest. Many years ago I joined the large athletic club here. While not that close to my house, it had lots of classes and other amenities. But, as time went on, I wasn’t doing the things that made me join — like the Nia classes and being able to swim at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday morning. But I ’graduated’ into the senior membership fee tier, and so I kept on as a member. Well this spring, I decided that I better start using it some more instead of just paying out $ every month. A week ago I was off on Friday and decided to try the 9:00 a.m. Hip Hop Latin Spice class. It was wall to wall people, so I opted to walk/jog on the track. It’s a nice cushioned track with three lanes — walk-walk/run-run. They pipe in music; I found it pleasant and energizing. Then I went downstairs and shot some baskets (well tried to). I had a great time. So today I went back, was too late for the Nia class, walked, did the basketball thing and then did 1/2 of a Zumba class. I’m used to doing workouts at my own speed, taking breaks, and my Zumba dvds seem to take a break after each selection. The Zumba class at the club went at a frenetic pace from song to song, using the space available in the group exercise room. I wiped out after 30 minutes. The club has all sorts of activities, but there has been an increase, IMO, in the number of people who are taking fitness very seriously. I’m going to continue going — being around people felt good. (I do need to seriously upgrade my fitness wear, and made a start with a purchase at the club’s pro shop today. I had a 25% off coupon. )
Hi Carol (my fellow Boopster )! It sounds like you have a lot of variety and have been able to find ways to make the gym work for you. That's what I am hoping to do, too.

Hi Debbie! Yes, I took the plunge! I won't be taking the plunge into the pool any time soon, though! I went there today, and there were kids in diapers in the pool! Plus, lots and lots of other little kids. If I end up swimming, it will be after the filters and chlorine have had a chance to clear out the pee pee and who knows what else .
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-16, 11:12 PM  
Getfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Wow! You sound motivated! . How did you get the lifetime rates? Those are good deals.
Whenever, I consider joining a gym, I always ask about a prepaid package. With 24hr, I paid $699 for 3 years with 5 personal training sessions and once the 3 years was up my rate was $20 for the rest of my life. When I joined LVAC, I paid $399 upfront for 2 year membership and my annual membership is $98 a year for the rest of my life. Planet Fitness does not offer anything similar. I don't like paying monthly fees so I will always ask do you have a prepaid discount. Several gyms do because for the most part they would rather get your money up front and they feel the likelihood of you continuing would be slim but they don't know I belong to VF and we believe in fitness for life.
Old 05-28-16, 11:21 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
Having PT certification gets you nothing unless you work for the gym itself. It's clear that she doesn't.
I guess it's not like yoga or pilates teachers where clubs can actually get a following because some of those practices and therapies are or seem, instructor-personality-driven; and they may even rent out a separate professional space or even draw workshop attendees, which revenue stream may justify the discount ...(kind of like being a massage therapist or a hairdresser or a celebrity nutritionist) ... but I thought elite clubs might sorta be a little different ... I've guested at Club H when it had its promotions ... and that was a long time ago

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 04:04 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getfit View Post
Whenever, I consider joining a gym, I always ask about a prepaid package. With 24hr, I paid $699 for 3 years with 5 personal training sessions and once the 3 years was up my rate was $20 for the rest of my life. When I joined LVAC, I paid $399 upfront for 2 year membership and my annual membership is $98 a year for the rest of my life. Planet Fitness does not offer anything similar. I don't like paying monthly fees so I will always ask do you have a prepaid discount. Several gyms do because for the most part they would rather get your money up front and they feel the likelihood of you continuing would be slim but they don't know I belong to VF and we believe in fitness for life.
Very smart!

I did that years ago with a gym that was popular then. I stayed a member for a long time, but then the company that owned the gym changed and the clubs became run-down, so even though I paid a small yearly fee, I never went anymore.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 07:19 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getfit View Post
Actually, just FYI, Planet Fitness does offer a prepaid option. I couldn't tell you exactly what it is, but it's a yearly fee and it works out better than the $10 a month.
Old 05-30-16, 10:11 PM  
Getfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Actually, just FYI, Planet Fitness does offer a prepaid option. I couldn't tell you exactly what it is, but it's a yearly fee and it works out better than the $10 a month.
I asked about the yearly fee and was told it doesn't exist. I have the $19.99 membership but my highlight of my afternoon workout is using the hydro bed and my stretch. The use of the massage bed and chair pays for itself.

Tags
gym membership, gyms, health clubs, home vs gym