Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-14-15, 10:41 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
She looks great! Her kettlebell swings are off though. She's using her arms, not her hips. I think that would drive me insane.
You know, I knew something was off about her swings, and I don't even do kettlebell training. However, just watching other dvds let me see that she was off. I don't want to say "wrong" as I am not certified or trained, and I certainly don't know all the different schools of kettlebell training, but it appears that she swung from her arms, her stance was much wider than I've seen, and she squats lower that I've seen for swings.

I still want it though
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-15, 10:43 AM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela View Post
I also noticed her leg stance is too wide, making it harder to get a proper hip hinge, so they are all kind of sumo squatting into the swing, instead of hinging into it.
I'm not a kettlebell expert at all and only know what I do from other DVDs. I do my best to follow the form of Anthony Diluglio and Lauren Brooks. When I saw Kelly, I noticed her form didn't look the same as it did on Slim Sculpting. Then I wondered why her stance was so wide and her arms went above shoulder-level.

Glad I wasn't the only one. Hope it doesn't bother me, or I slip into bad form, when doing the workout.
Old 10-14-15, 10:49 AM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom View Post
I'm not a kettlebell expert at all and only know what I do from other DVDs. I do my best to follow the form of Anthony Diluglio and Lauren Brooks. When I saw Kelly, I noticed her form didn't look the same as it did on Slim Sculpting. Then I wondered why her stance was so wide and her arms went above shoulder-level.

Glad I wasn't the only one. Hope it doesn't bother me, or I slip into bad form, when doing the workout.
2 of the best to follow! I will throw Mark DeGrasse in there too
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-15, 01:42 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I don't do kettlebells because I'm afraid of swinging things around in my home.
I have a glass coffee table off to the side as well as the expensive TV. I'm afraid I'll let go and break something. I feel the same way about swinging a dumbbell.
Old 10-14-15, 02:04 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I don't do kettlebells because I'm afraid of swinging things around in my home.
I have a glass coffee table off to the side as well as the expensive TV. I'm afraid I'll let go and break something. I feel the same way about swinging a dumbbell.
I'm the same way but about swinging or lifting heavy dumbbells around my cats. Have to lock them out of the room if there's the least issue with my grip strength or failing a lift. I don't train to failure, but sometimes accidents happen.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-15, 02:52 PM  
beth22

I'm disappointed in her kettlebell form. If she's going to use them she should be using them correctly at the very least.
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-15, 05:13 PM  
mamaste

I went ahead and ordered, but I'm not sure why.
Old 10-14-15, 07:10 PM  
YogaGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
I notice there's no true modifier in either workout. Wonder why? It's so weird that Cathe has a modifier in her new series and Kelly doesn't.
I noticed one move in S&S where Samantha is using only one arm with a weight while all the others are moving both arms with weights. Also Sam is the one using a dumbbell for the kettlebell moves. So she must be in the role of modifier for this one. But I agree that for most of the clip, Sam is following along with the same moves as everyone else.

My guess is that Kelly sees both of these new dvds as straightforward weight workouts and the way to modify is to use a lower weighted dumbbell. Then again she may have a premix that show more modifications than in the clips we have now.

FYI, I ordered both and am so happy that Kelly was able to post clips before her pre-sale ends on Sunday. I was pretty sure I was going to order both anyway, but I was glad to see the clips.
Old 10-15-15, 11:14 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Her swings are not correct.

She looks great though.

I have Kelly's Muscle Up. She goes too heavy sometimes and uses poor form. It is disappointing when an instructor does that.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-15, 11:22 AM  
deineira

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth22 View Post
I'm disappointed in her kettlebell form. If she's going to use them she should be using them correctly at the very least.
This. I am a recent fan of hers, but she strikes me as a very professional trainer who has great form in her other workouts. KBs can be really dangerous when people don't use them correctly because they can really cause injury and tweaking due to their inherently ballistic nature. I'm very disappointed to see her using bad form. It's not the worse I've ever seen, but it's certainly not a properly done kettlebell swing.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kcm, kelly coffey-meyer, kettlebell swings, poor form