Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-15, 11:18 AM  
mle777

I have a friend that loves to run and was seeing a doctor due to some knee pain. The doctor said that he has replaced far more knees in people that were overweight and inactive than he has in people who are runners or athletically inclined. Yes, it does happen for runners or crossfitters or other athletes, but doing nothing or being quite overweight was an even bigger risk

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 11:23 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I was wrong. The competition won't be on TV until the 15th. Not sure why I thought it was on last night, lol. Oh well. At one of the boxes I'm considering, the owner competes in something called the NPGL. Is that related to Crossfit? From what I saw on Youtube, it seems some of the moves are the same.
Ah, NPGL. It is very, very, very similar to Crossfit and most of the athletes in the Grid League are Crossfitters. It was created specifically to be a more spectator friendly version of Crossfit, but is not in any way endorsed by Crossfit. It is REALLY REALLY fun to watch - our head coach was on the Boston Iron team last year, and our box owner/head programmer was the head coach of the Iron, so we not only went to a match but also got to see the team practice a lot (they often practiced at our box - AMAZING human beings!!!!!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I've actually had more injuries from doing nothing than I ever did when I played sports. I had a stress fracture in my foot from walking in the pool a couple of years ago. Don't ask me how that happened. I originally messed up my shoulder messing around with friends at a rock concert when I was in my 20's. I have problems with my feet for some unknown reason. Life is inherently risky.
I wouldn't even call it risky. Injuries are a part of life, that's all.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 01:32 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Tomorrow I'm going to check out a few boxes and see what happens. I also found this workout online that is a scaled 'Crossfit inspired' workout for beginners. It goes for 6 weeks and I'm almost through week 1, so I figure this will be a good experiment to see 1. if I make any progress 2. if I like this type of workout. We shall see...
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 02:01 PM  
enduranceron

I tried CF for 4 months at a local box after doing some extensive research and visiting a few of them.

It was fun and I was doing somethings I wouldn't normally at home (rope climbs, sled pushes) but overall what I found was that it wasn't SO much different than when I was doing CF at home one my own and didn't think the social aspect was enough for me to pay $160 per month (3X per week) to attend. I tend to prefer to workout alone anyway and CF was in addition to the workouts I did on my own at home. So I decided to not attend anymore and use CF as block in my yearly rotation (also have a CrossFit Endurance block). I like it as a philosophy and think it is a good part of an overall program but wouldn't want to do it exclusively.

I've accumulated quite a good amount of CF at home schedules and programs so it is easy enough to program and work into a rotation.

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." - Thomas Carlyle

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Ghandi
enduranceron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 08:21 PM  
ncl

I think everybody should do what is right for them and sometimes that takes awhile to figure out.

As far as injury, I am nursing an injury and have never done Crossfit. But a friend of mine who is a PT told me that injury rates in Crossfit are more common than injuries in the NFL. So for me...no WAY will I do it. Her husband started doing cross fit and she told him if he gets injured she's gonna make him quit....probably not a bad thing that she told him that as I bet he'll be extra careful now.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 09:07 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
I think everybody should do what is right for them and sometimes that takes awhile to figure out.

As far as injury, I am nursing an injury and have never done Crossfit. But a friend of mine who is a PT told me that injury rates in Crossfit are more common than injuries in the NFL. So for me...no WAY will I do it. Her husband started doing cross fit and she told him if he gets injured she's gonna make him quit....probably not a bad thing that she told him that as I bet he'll be extra careful now.
Absolutely, do what is right for you. But .... there is no published evidence that your friend's statement is correct. However, there IS published evidence that her statement is incorrect. And I bet her husband misses his balls, which she apparently keeps in a jar on her nightstand, poor guy.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 10:48 AM  
Chomper

I went looking for studies on crossfit injuries and the consensus is that there havent been any good ones yet. It will probably take ages.

I also ran across this interesting and helpful article on preventing injuries in crossfit, which could apply to other fitness pursuits as well.
https://www.t-nation.com/training/ho...ssfit-injuries

The takeaway is that if you're going to join a crossfit gym, you want to look for the sorts of things Michelle described. Did your coaches ask you about previous injuries and issues? Are the coaches scrutinizing your form on the different lifts and making you perfect them without weight first? Look around, are people being shown how to and reminded to modify and scale the workouts for their level? These are the things people new to fitness might not know they should be looking for when they join.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 11:17 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Injury stats and anecdotes can be manipulated to fit anyone's agenda, or get lots of clicks.

Yoga is dangerous for men!!!

Zumba is a party of pain!!!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 11:58 AM  
ncl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
absolutely, do what is right for you. But .... There is no published evidence that your friend's statement is correct. However, there is published evidence that her statement is incorrect. And i bet her husband misses his balls, which she apparently keeps in a jar on her nightstand, poor guy.

WOW. A bit harsh maybe especially considering you don't have any context for that comment.

I found this...was all I could find on Pubmed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24276294
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 01:15 PM  
beth22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Absolutely, do what is right for you. But .... there is no published evidence that your friend's statement is correct. However, there IS published evidence that her statement is incorrect. And I bet her husband misses his balls, which she apparently keeps in a jar on her nightstand, poor guy.
This whole thread was interesting and civil until you typed that. Totally unnecessary.
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crossfit