Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-11, 11:31 AM  
Aquajock

ASYLUM Vertical Plyo + Speed & Agility Mish-Mosh:

i slink into my cave of shame.

I failed almost as many drills as I conquered, and discovered that YES there is such a thing as Horizontal Plyo (me laying gasping prone on the ground), not to mention Torpor and Klutzery.

This is very promising.

Very promising.

The warm-up of Vertical Plyo is very, VERY aggressive, and I really felt the fact that yesterday's workout was a power-step with barbell squat/lunge circuits. The Speed & Agility workout, as others have already noted, is deceptive! One of the reasons I was so eager for that workout in particular was precisely that I am not very coordinated, and am over-apt to slow things down. S&A will really, REALLY push me out of that comfort zone!

I've learned which drills I'm going to have to practice on HARD (at this point, split jumps, lunge-style drills where the working leg's knee starts at 90-degrees of flexion, one-legged power jumps, and ANYTHING power-push-up related where both the feet AND the hands leave the ground {have always laid on the shovel with those drills}), and am overall already pleased.

Very pleased.

I'm impressed with those who are recording their own performance with these workouts and uploading them on YouTube. Let's just say that I would be able to fill an entire episode of "America's Funniest Home Videos" if I did that myself!!

Game Day and Overtime just plain scare me.

How wonderful is that?!

Bring on your own reviews, peeps!!!

Love,

A-Jock
Old 04-17-11, 11:55 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
WOW! Shaun T is incredible.

I just finished Vertical Plyo and I am completely humbled. This workout KICKED MY BUTT. Speed and agility was tough but mostly because agility-wise I need work. Cardiovascularly, S&A was hard but not impossible. Vertical Plyo on the other hand did not require much agility, but cardiovascularly, I was able to complete maybe a little more than half of it. I did all the exercises but not for all the time given. I felt that deep down in your lungs burn pretty quickly on this one. I don't think I've ever felt that with a video.

The jump rope section on Vertical Plyo is easier to do for those of us that are less coordinated but it's hard to keep up with cardio-wise (at least it was for me). Also, Vertical Plyo does not require as much room with the ladder so I didn't have to worry as much about making my space work (like I did with speed and agility).

I absolutely love the first two DVD's of Asylum. I love that I have so much room to grow. I don't think I will ever conquer these and that is just fine with me. The ladder really adds a new level of challenge that makes it fun and it never occured to me to use resistance bands while doing plyo but my goodness they do take it up a notch.

Whoever said these look easier than Insanity hasn't done them !!!!

So Shaun . . . when's the next set coming out ?????
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 11:56 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Aquajock,

Did you try to mish-mosh these together ??????? OMG !!

Lauren
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 11:58 AM  
andtckrtoo

Okay, now I'm scared. Two of the toughest - workout wise - women I know are humbled by Asylum. I think I may hold off for a while!!
Old 04-17-11, 12:02 PM  
Missiscipi

I was going to do Vertical Plyo today but my living room has been over run by a 50 foot network cable that has my brother in law's computer attached at the other end so I would have to deal with that and the ladder so I decided to take the rest day on the rotation today. I can't wait to try it! My entire back, backside and hamstrings have DOMS today from Back to Core and I am feeling more "compact" since starting Asylum! I am really looking forward to my end results at 30 days!
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 03:19 PM  
acescholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Okay, now I'm scared. Two of the toughest - workout wise - women I know are humbled by Asylum. I think I may hold off for a while!!
Sheesh, no kidding! Not sure I'm ready for it! Still tempted, though!

ETA: I really appreciate the reviews A-Jock and Sancho--as well as Rozy's Asylum blogs, thanks!!
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 04:22 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

Yes, please! Keep the reviews coming. From what I've read so far, I'm really thinking about taking the plunge!
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 04:35 PM  
Aquajock

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Christine - if I hadn't been humbled by these workouts I would have returned them for a full refund. I'm tired of buying workouts that are long on exclamation points in the promos and short on training overload and challenge.

I vote get them now, and work your way into them. It doesn't matter if you can only do one rep of each drill. You get through it, you do it again and do a little bit more, and you get better and better all the time. A woman's reach must exceed her grasp or what's an ASYLUM for?!

One thing I didn't mention in my first post is how incredibly motivating Shaun is, not just in his own athletic performance but also in his cuing and his asides. Coming from anyone else, "Skill is power" would sound like a meaningless bromide, but coming from him it matters. And that stuff spools out over and over again, very naturally and spontaneously. I value a home-ex DVD instructor's on-camera persona as much as any vidiot, and Shaun's is the best.

JM.02.

A-Jock
Old 04-17-11, 05:05 PM  
Missiscipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajock View Post
Christine - if I hadn't been humbled by these workouts I would have returned them for a full refund. I'm tired of buying workouts that are long on exclamation points in the promos and short on training overload and challenge.

I vote get them now, and work your way into them. It doesn't matter if you can only do one rep of each drill. You get through it, you do it again and do a little bit more, and you get better and better all the time. A woman's reach must exceed her grasp or what's an ASYLUM for?!

One thing I didn't mention in my first post is how incredibly motivating Shaun is, not just in his own athletic performance but also in his cuing and his asides. Coming from anyone else, "Skill is power" would sound like a meaningless bromide, but coming from him it matters. And that stuff spools out over and over again, very naturally and spontaneously. I value a home-ex DVD instructor's on-camera persona as much as any vidiot, and Shaun's is the best.

JM.02.

A-Jock
I agree with everything you said! I have Insanity but have never done it since I got into kettlebells. And actually Asylum will be my first Beachbody product I have ever done a rotation as written.
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 05:45 AM  
acescholar

I did end up getting these for my 54th birthday gift -- what doesn't kill me will make me younger!

I received them Thurs eve after I'd already worked out, so I did Speed and Agility for the first time on Friday.

I started the warm up three times because I couldn't figure out how to best use (or not) the jump rope. It's too long and flimsy as is (hits my ceiling and doesn't really turn smoothly), and choking it up didn't feel right. I finally decided to do pretend jump rope with 1lb. weights in my hands. I think cardio-wise that's a good substitute, but I'm sure real jump roping requires more core action.

I found many of the workout moves to be very challenging, and a lot of times I had to sacrifice speed to get the move right. For instance, when Shaun T. gets to rung three of the progressive moves, I'm very slow.

I put the workout in without preview, and I had to rewind a few times because I wasn't quite sure of what the foot pattern was. For me, it was sometimes tricky to figure out which box in the ladder you are supposed to move to next. I did go back after the workout and watched the moves more carefully--I hadn't noticed before, but the background exercisers do often move pretty slowly! [Will definitely preview the next ones--at least briefly.]

I like Speed & Agility, and I know my fitness will increase with Asylum. The workouts are shorter than what I usually do (or at least some are), but the moves are more demanding. I'm going to at least try the rotation for a week -- not sure if I'll count last night or take my scheduled rest day today and start tomorrow.

Thanks for all the comments and reviews! I feel great today!
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asylum, shaun t