Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-20, 11:58 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
So what is the price? Interested in the bottom dollar.
Click on the link above for pricing.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-20, 12:03 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

FWIW, the cost for the other site I mod on to move to a private hosting service because there is too much site traffic or whatever was going to cost at least $150/month. This does not take into account forum upgrade costs*, etc. Just an ongoing base monthly expense. Again, I have no idea if VF requires a private hosting service or already uses one or what that entails.

Hosting a static website (not a forum) is usually much cheaper from what I gather. For point of reference, the cost for a static site for a volunteer group my mom is a part of is only $30/year to host the web site and $240 a year for the web builder tool. But that's just a basic informational website, not a forum.

*Edited to add, because the admin on the other website I'm on does not have IT expertise, she has to pay someone to do the site upgrades and fix glitches that come up, etc.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-20, 01:18 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I went over to the vBulletin website. There are options to upgrade. It didn't look overly expensive. Our version is 3.8.3. The newest version is 5.

https://www.vbulletin.com/en/purchases

I'll admit that IT topics are way out of my experience.
Yeah I clicked, lol, and saw dollars.... but my eyes glaze over trying to understand the difference of what this all means...

So why did I follow the link??

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-20, 02:49 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Someone should just move VF to a different board. I hate to say it, but this board has been dying a slow death for years now. It's not for lack of interest. We need new members.
Yes, and it should be the opposite, especially now that nearly everyone is working out at home!

First, the name of the forum needs to be changed. Videofitness was relevant in the 90’s, but videos don’t even exist anymore, except in the homes of those of us who collected them then.

Second, we need an updated forum. I don’t want it on Facebook, though.

Third, this forum needs to be transferred, rather than starting a whole new website, otherwise, we will lose much of the community. If there is a new host for the website, then when someone enters videofitness.com, it should automatically connect to the new forum.

There must be some VFers in the tech industry who can contribute some ideas.

There is still a good amount of activity here. If the site was upgraded and improved, I think it would be even more popular.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-20, 02:55 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
First, the name of the forum needs to be changed. Videofitness was relevant in the 90’s, but videos don’t even exist anymore, except in the homes of those of us who collected them then.
Videos still do exist, they're just in electronic form...it's just video tapes and video DVDs that are on the way out (or are already out).

Point taken though, and a name change is warranted.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-20, 03:53 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
Videos still do exist, they're just in electronic form...it's just video tapes and video DVDs that are on the way out (or are already out).

Point taken though, and a name change is warranted.
Maybe it should just be "Home Fitness"? I agree on not putting it on Facebook. If you think it's hard to find old posts here....... (you will never find them on fb).
Old 10-23-20, 03:55 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Maybe it should just be "Home Fitness"?
Works for me!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-20, 04:11 PM  
jusca

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I've thought about this too. Maybe we should have a backup plan and agree to all meet on some other site in case that happens?
Yes, a backup plan is a good idea. A work forum I was on years ago suddenly closed and the owners couldn't be contacted for a long time. When the owners finally posted a notice on the forum, it was a coming soon sign which unfortunately never changed and all people moved on to much smaller, fragmented FB groups. The FB groups were better than nothing but the resources and people from the forum that lost were invaluable.

VF is far more important and unique to me. I shudder to think about possibly losing it.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-20, 04:25 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Is Wendy still around? Has she made any comments on the future of this forum?
Old 10-23-20, 06:26 PM  
rhbrand

I like the name "Home Fitness" Or maybe "Home Based Fitness"

I also think if maybe the site was upgraded/updated and we could get word out about it, it could easy get more popular. More and more people are working out at home thanks in part to the pandemic, things like Peloton, Mirror, streaming and some dvd use.

Tags
abandonware, forum issues, glitches, internal server error, search malfunction, vf future, vf roost, vf site issues